Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 09-06-2004, 13:22   #201
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Mike - I've been thinking about adding reviews to the site, so it'd be great if you could contribute anything
Guest 18933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:24   #202
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

More Warners Hitchcock box details from davisdvd.com:

Each film will feature newly remastered transfers along with new documentaries created and the theatrical trailers. Strangers on a Train will be available as a two-disc special edition featuring the original-release version of the film as well as the preview version uncovered in 1991. Other bonuses include a new commentary track (with director Peter Bogdanovich, "Psycho" screenwriter Joseph Stephano, author Patricia Highsmith and biographer Andrew Wilson), a new making-of documentary (with star Farley Granger, film historian Richard Schickel, Patricia Hitchcock O'Connell and other Hitchcock family members and colleagues), an appreciation by director M. Night Shyamalan, and more.

---
So many films, so little time...

Last edited by John Hodson; 10-06-2004 at 13:41.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:41   #203
Guest 10492
Trusted User

Impressively the original art is to be used for the covers - http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11773
Guest 10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 23:03   #204
Guest 1721
Trusted User

looks like my universal UK copies of the films in the new boxset are headed for Ebay...
Guest 1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 23:22   #205
Guest 2883
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
Strangers on a Train will be available as a two-disc special edition featuring the original-release version of the film as well as the preview version uncovered in 1991. Other bonuses include a new commentary track (with director Peter Bogdanovich, "Psycho" screenwriter Joseph Stephano, author Patricia Highsmith and biographer Andrew Wilson), a new making-of documentary (with star Farley Granger, film historian Richard Schickel, Patricia Hitchcock O'Connell and other Hitchcock family members and colleagues), an appreciation by director M. Night Shyamalan, and more.
I wonder if this (certified a year ago) is intended for the new edition then?

~~stu
Guest 2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:46   #206
Guest 10492
Trusted User

Full PR (cribbed from here) :
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

Seven Hitchcock Classics for the First Time on DVD

Dial M for Murder

Foreign Correspondent

Suspicion, The Wrong Man

Stage Fright, I Confess

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Plus

Remastered Two-Disc Special Edition of

Strangers on a Train

Eight Classics from "The Greatest Director

of All Time" Released by Warner Home Video September 7

All of These Films, Along with the Previously Released Special Edition of North by Northwest are also Available as Part of a Nine-film Deluxe Boxed Set, The Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection

BURBANK, Calif. June 7, 2004 - On September 7, Warner Home Video will celebrate Alfred Hitchcock -- the legendary "Master of Suspense," whose illustrious motion picture career spanned more than a half century -- with DVD debuts of seven of his classic films, Dial M for Murder, Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion, The Wrong Man, Stage Fright, I Confess, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Each film will contain a new documentary created for the DVD. In addition, a remastered Two-Disc Special Edition of Strangers on a Train including expanded bonus features will also be available.

The films will be available individually or as part of a nine-film deluxe boxed set, The Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection, which will also include the previously released North by Northwest Special Edition. The individual titles are each priced at $19.97 SRP and Strangers on a Train: Two-Disc Special Edition will be available for $26.99 SRP. The deluxe boxed set is priced at $99.92 SRP.

Strangers on a Train, digitally remastered in a Two-Disc Special Edition DVD, will feature expanded bonus content, including the original-release version of the film as well as the preview version uncovered in 1991 and theatrically issued in 1996. Other bonuses include commentary by director Peter Bogdanovich, Psycho screenwriter Joseph Stephano, Strangers on a Train author Patricia Highsmith and biographer Andrew Wilson, an appreciation by The Sixth Sense director M. Night Shyamalan, plus a new making-of documentary with Farley Granger, film historian Richard Schickel, Patricia Hitchcock O'Connell and other Hitchcock family members and colleagues recalling the making of this suspense landmark, and other intriguing bonus features.

The Director

Born in London in 1899, Hitchcock became interested in film at a young age and, following his dream, secured his first job at age 21 designing titles for a movie studio. He got his first chance at directing when the director of Always Tell Your Wife (1923) fell ill and Hitchcock had to complete the film. Impressed by his work, English studio chiefs gave him the opportunity to direct his own film, Number 13 (1922), however, before it was finished, the studio closed down its British operation. He then served as assistant director on several more films, after which he was hired to direct The Pleasure Garden (1925).

Hitchcock's next film, The Lodger, was a resounding success and he ultimately become the most successful and highest paid director in England. At the onset of World War II, he emigrated to the United States where he went on to become one of the most widely known and influential directors in motion picture history.

Although he was nominated for five Best Director Academy Awards®, Hitchcock never won, but in 1968 he was chosen to receive the Academy's Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award. "Hitch," as he was known to so many, accepted it with a simple "Thank you." Hitchcock continued to write, produce and direct films until 1979 when he was awarded the American Film Institute Life Achievement Award. He died the following year, in 1980.

The Films

Dial M For Murder - Alfred Hitchcock's screen version of Frederick Knott's stage hit stars one of Hitchcock's favorites, Grace Kelly, along with Ray Milland and Robert Cummings as the points of a romantic triangle -- Margot Mary Wendice (Kelly), her lover Mark Halliday (Cummings) and her husband Tony Wendice (Milland), who's plotting her murder. But when Tony dials a Mayfair exchange to set the plot in motion, his right number gets the wrong answer.

The extra features included on the DVD are:

New documentaries Hitchcock and Dial M and 3D:A Brief History
Newsreel footage from the movie's premiere event.
Foreign Correspondent - A classic Hitchcock suspenser about an intrepid American reporter, John Jones (Joel McCrea), who thinks he's stumbled across the biggest story in prewar Europe. Things don't go according to plan and Jones has to enlist the help of a young woman (Laraine Day) to track down a group of spies. Herbert Marshall, George Sanders and Robert Benchley also headline this movie which was nominated for six 1940 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture.

The DVD bonus content will include:

New making-of documentary Personal History: Foreign Hitchcock.
Suspicion - Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine star. Fontaine as well-to-do wallflower Lina McLaidlaw, in love and perhaps in danger. She suspects that Johnnie Aysgarth (Grant), the playboy who swept into her life and married her, is a murderer and she's his next intended victim. Fontaine's striking performance won the Academy Award® as 1941's Best Actress.

New making-of documentary Before the Fact: Suspicious Hitchcock.
The Wrong Man - In this dramatization of a true story, based on an actual incident reported in Life Magazine, a man is tried for crimes committed by a look-alike robber. Henry Fonda plays musician Manny Balestrero, a man full of visible but unspoken rage at his wrongful arrest. Vera Miles plays his distraught wife. Hitchcock makes New York City the star of the film and cast real-life Balestrero case witnesses in small roles.

New making-of documentary Guilt Trip: Hitchcock and the Wrong Man
Premiere newsreel
Stage Fright - Jane Wyman stars as drama student Eve Gill who tries to clear a friend, John Cooper (Richard Todd), being framed for murder by becoming the maid of flamboyant stage star Charlotte Inwood (Marlene Dietrich). Cooper's affair with Inwood has made him a suspect in the death of Inwood's husband. Hitchcock juggles elements of humor and whodunit and put his terrific ensemble (Alastair Sim, Sybil Thorndike, Joyce Grenfell, Kay Walsh and daughter Patricia Hitchcock) through its paces.

New making-of documentary Hitchcock and Stage Fright.
I Confess - Father Michael Logan (Montgomery Clift), a model of clerical piety, hears a killer's confession. Eyewitnesses point to a priest as the murderer and the sacrament of penance forbids Logan to speak out - even in his own defense - when circumstantial evidence targets Logan as the prime suspect. Anne Baxter and Karl Malden co-star as a former flame and a police inspector whose attempts to clear Logan only entrap him further.

New making-of documentary Hitchcock's Confession: A Look at I Confess
Premiere newsreel
Mr. and Mrs. Smith - Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery star in this breezy Hitchcock comedy as Annie and David Smith, married but battling for three years. When a technicality voids their union, Annie asks David to marry her again, but he confides to her he is missing his freedom and he wants to have some fun. They start a new life, as though they had never been married, going out with friends and meeting members of the opposite sex. At the beginning the game seems to be fun, but jealousy quickly sets in.

New making-of documentary Mr. Hitchcock Meets the Smiths
Strangers on a Train - En route from Washington, D.C., champion tennis player Guy Haines (Farley Granger) meets pushy playboy Bruno Anthony (Robert Walker). What begins as a chance encounter turns into a series of morbid confrontations, as Bruno manipulates his way into Guy's life. Bruno is eager to kill his father and knows Guy wants to marry a senator's daughter (Ruth Roman) but can't get a divorce from his wife. So Bruno suggests the men swap murders, which would leave no traceable clues or possible motives. Though Guy refuses, it won't be easy to rid himself of the psychopathic Bruno. Hitchcock's daughter Patricia appears in this film.

Alternate 'preview' version of the film
Commentary by director Peter Bogdanovich, Psycho screenwriter Joseph Stephano, Strangers on a Train author Patricia Highsmith and biographer Andrew Wilson
New making-of documentary Strangers on a Train: A Hitchcock Classic, with Farley Granger, film historian Richard Schickel, Patricia Hitchcock O'Connell and other Hitchcock family members and colleagues recalling the making of this suspense landmark
Three intriguing featurettes:
The Hitchcocks on Hitch
Strangers on a Train: The Victim's P.O.V.
Strangers on a Train by M. Night Shyamalan
Alfred Hitchcock's Historical Meeting, a vintage newsreel
North by Northwest - Nominated for three Academy Awards® including Best Screenplay, what Leonard Maltin called "one of the all-time great entertainments" stars Cary Grant as a Manhattan advertising executive mistaken for a spy who escapes kidnapping and dodges a murder frame-up. Eventually, he eludes a notorious low-flying cropduster and, in the film's exciting climax, rescues Eva Marie Saint on Mount Rushmore.

The Man on Lincoln's Nose: The Making of North by Northwest, a behind-the-scenes documentary
Feature-length commentary by screenwriter Ernest Lehman
Television commercial from the film's original theatrical release
Production stills gallery, production notes and filmography of principal talent
A music only track in Dolby stereo of Bernard Herrmann's classic score
Each DVD will be presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition and will include the original theatrical trailer, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish.

Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection

$19.97 SRP (Per single DVD title)

$26.99 SRP (Strangers on a Train: Two-Disc Special Edition)

$99.92 SRP (Gift Set)

Street date: September 7, 2004
Looks like every film will have some worthwhile extras. Shame 'Dial M ...' is not going to have the 3D version at all though (even though there's a docu about it !).
Old 11-06-2004, 08:25   #207
Guest 993
Trusted User

"Seven Hitchcock Classics for the First Time on DVD "

:confused: Several of those are already available on DVD (maybe all of them, I haven't checked, but I own a couple myself).

Last edited by DeadKenny; 11-06-2004 at 08:25.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:39   #208
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Well, the box is a nine film set, but I'm not aware that these seven Dial M for Murder, Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion, The Wrong Man, Stage Fright, I Confess, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, have ever been released on DVD in R1 - which ones of those have you got?

---
Old 11-06-2004, 15:35   #209
Guest 18933
Trusted User

John's right - it's talking purely about US/Canadian R1 releases. Apart from "Stage Fright", all the rest are available on DVD from various parts of the world.

I'm still curious as to whether or not Warner's will be doing UK or European PAL releases of the titles, as Universal released 3 of them in the UK last year.

:confused:
Guest 18933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 15:39   #210
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally posted by tips4tnt
I'm still curious as to whether or not Warner's will be doing UK or European PAL releases of the titles, as Universal released 3 of them in the UK last year.

:confused:
Can't see it as this is a rights issue; but it will be very interesting to compare the Universal R2 and Warners R1 transfers won't it?

---
Old 23-06-2004, 22:08   #211
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Warners Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection is now up for pre-order circa £39 at amazon.ca.

DVD Times has the full artwork here

Last edited by John Hodson; 23-06-2004 at 22:37.
Old 23-06-2004, 23:50   #212
Guest 13065
Trusted User

great price indeed

Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 08:06   #213
Guest 10492
Trusted User

Interesting post on the HTF again :
Quote:
On a related note, MGM will be releasing a Hitchcock boxset of their own in November with The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, The Paradine Case, Rebecca, Sabotage, Spellbound, The 39 Steps and The Young and Innocent. I already have Criterion's Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound, and The 39 Steps. I highly doubt MGM will surpass or even come close to these editions. Criterion's The Lady Vanishes, however, has a subpar transfer, despite having a commentary. Hopefully MGM's version will contain a better transfer, though it's unlikely they'll be able to get Criterion's commentary (since they didn't get one for The Silence of the Lambs, for instance). That leaves The Paradine Case, Sabotage, and The Young and Innocent. Again, I hope MGM will provide us with restored transfers and some extras on these.
I've also got the Criterion box, but would love to see a better print of 'The Lady ...' and would certainly be interested in picking up the other (non-Criterion) titles, assuming the quality surpasses the R2s .....

edit - missed a word !

Last edited by f_drew; 24-06-2004 at 08:07.
Old 24-06-2004, 09:24   #214
Guest 993
Trusted User

Strange, I thought The Lady Vanishes Criterion was supposed to be a cleaned up print. Seemed okay to be though I was dissapointed at the extras given the price I paid at the time (though can be got cheap these days I guess).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 09:41   #215
Guest 10492
Trusted User

Check out tips4nt's site for a comparison of the different available versions. Criterion's transfer could certainly be improved (although I've no great complaint against it) !

edit - actually that comparson pic isn't too great, but check out the Lady .... page for more links.

edit again ! - this page contains more comparison grabs.

Last edited by f_drew; 24-06-2004 at 09:44.
Old 29-06-2004, 16:19   #216
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Warners Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection is now up for pre-order circa £39 at amazon.ca.

DVD Times has the full artwork here
Heads up; it's now dropped by $10 CAD to around £35.
Old 08-07-2004, 17:53   #217
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Warners Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection has dropped a few cents to $82.18 at amazon.ca (plus shipping). Hey presto, and it's slightly cheaper including shipping at $82.98 (£34.54) here at dvdsoon.com. How to get it passed customs..?
Old 08-07-2004, 21:13   #218
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

At such a good price, I'd be philosophical about Customs - especially considering that R2 versions of several of the films in question are still retailing for £10 each online.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 16:39   #219
Guest 10492
Trusted User

From DVDFile:
Quote:
At last due for release on DVD, beginning this fall, is a very aggressive slate of some of the biggest TV hits of the past two decades. Titles due to in time for the holidays include first season sets of Miami Vice, The Munsters, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, The Bionic Woman, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery and Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories.
:bow:

edit - mistake !

Last edited by f_drew; 15-07-2004 at 16:39.
Old 11-08-2004, 19:25   #220
Guest 1330
No Wakka for you!

Can I set myself up for a lynching? Was in Poundland today and they had a DVD with two Hitchcock films (Young And Innocent, The Man Who Knew Too Much) and a Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes flick: The Woman In Green. On a DVD9 disc and much better quality than I expected it would be. Obviously not well restored versions but a whole league above the quality of the old films that are sometimes shown on channels like LifeTV, which are completely unwatchable. Quality was pretty much up to the standard of many old films shown on BBC2 and not bad for someone who wants to see these films but isn't too concerned about getting the best possible version.

Not sure what condition these are in, cuts wise, but watched Young and Innocent this afternoon and enjoyed it - especially the twitching killer!

Last edited by Fozzybear; 11-08-2004 at 19:28.
Guest 1330 is offline   Reply With Quote