Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 30-11-2020, 16:15   #21
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

My only point is that Macs aren't a fantastic experience for everyone.

When I first used a Mac, in about 1985/6 there was no other budget way to do the scanning we needed to do (using a scanner add-on that clipped to the head of the Apple Dot Matrix printer ) - a mini-comic that came with a computer game wouldn't have existed without it

Later on, in the early 90s I was supporting a company who moved from drawing boards to a Mac and Illustrator for their product design. The only real alternatives were VERY expensive dedicated workstations.

So - I was a bit disappointed with my Macbook Pro in the early 2010s

I still use an iPhone and iPad though...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:27   #22
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
Iím constantly trying to find things and donít even talk to me about photo storage...they seem to be scattered all over the place on the Mac....Iíve spoken to a few people who have made the switch and regretted it. Iím guessing if you are more tech savvy than me it might not be such an issue though.
That's a weird one, not sure what you were doing. Photos go in to the iPhotos app which stores all its pictures in a single, automatically organised container.

For the overall Mac v PC thing, it depends what you're doing with it and your mileage may vary depending on that. I made the switch over 20 years ago as I worked with Windows servers all day at work and didn't want to face it at home too.

I still work with Windows for some clients (and have it virtualised on some Macs here) and while Windows 10 seems like a step forward, once you dig under the shiny front, it seems to be a version of Windows 95/NT4 propped up with very shoogly scaffolding.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 16:34   #23
statto
Jedi Master

I have a laptop dual-booting Windows/Linux. I got my wife a MacBook Pro because "it would be loads better for her work". Within about three months she is using my laptop for her actual work (online tutoring) and only using the MacBook Pro for general office tasks and surfing the internet.

In my experience if you are a power user who doesn't work in design or DTP then you'll become frustrated with the limitations of Apple's laptop and PC hardware.

IMO they produce the best tablet going but everything else is style over substance.

EDIT: And AdamBrunt - I know it spoils the joke but Apple never "cost less", certainly not in 1993 (unless you're talking about shares).

Last edited by statto; 01-12-2020 at 16:35.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 17:00   #24
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
I have a laptop dual-booting Windows/Linux. I got my wife a MacBook Pro because "it would be loads better for her work". Within about three months she is using my laptop for her actual work (online tutoring) and only using the MacBook Pro for general office tasks and surfing the internet.

In my experience if you are a power user who doesn't work in design or DTP then you'll become frustrated with the limitations of Apple's laptop and PC hardware.

IMO they produce the best tablet going but everything else is style over substance.

EDIT: And AdamBrunt - I know it spoils the joke but Apple never "cost less", certainly not in 1993 (unless you're talking about shares).
Hmm, I am a power user and only use a Mac. Now, the space I work in this works well for me. I mostly work in a terminal or in Excel/PPT/Outlook etc. Terminal experience is excellent (now windows subsystem for Linux is also really good, but was not existent 10+ years ago when I started in OS X world for work).

TCO on an apple product can be less if you sell and upgrade, as residual value is strong, but not many people do. Performance per price unit is good in general, remember you cannot compare a MacBook Pro for example to a cheap Dell Inspiron. The Mac will be more than an equivalent Dell/HP/Lenovo etc, but not by crazy amounts.

I will say Apple has lost their way in some of the stability areas, gone are the days of months of uptime on my laptop etc.

With macOS and iPadOS/iOS getting more and more merged I would say the lines are blurring there, but I will say I have not had to reinstall macOS in many years, just upgrade and that is it. I was using the same base install for over 10 years, using TimeMachine to restore to new hardware etc. I finally reinstalled on one laptop a couple of years ago, but other than that my 2009 iMac was running same since day one, just kept upgrading etc and it was stable. It does vary a lot.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:53   #25
statto
Jedi Master

I may be an outlier because of mainly using Linux, I get the advantages of a *nix based system with none of the downsides.

For rock solid stability and reliability you can’t go wrong with a ThinkPad (2017 and older are the ones I’ve used so can’t speak to alleged quality drops over the past few years). To steal the Apple tag line, it just works.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 13:02   #26
ascender
Trusted User

I will say that every time I have to use Windows, I'm so glad I can do the majority of my work on a Mac.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 20:07   #27
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
I may be an outlier because of mainly using Linux, I get the advantages of a *nix based system with none of the downsides.

For rock solid stability and reliability you canít go wrong with a ThinkPad (2017 and older are the ones Iíve used so canít speak to alleged quality drops over the past few years). To steal the Apple tag line, it just works.
I have a Thinkpad too that is running Windows 10 with the Linux subsystem. Also wrks well, but I am far more used to macOS. I think to be honest there is little in it, unless you are hanging out at the local Starbucks a lot. But I am a Mac user as it has generally been pain free for me for years. Also I am a full Apple household so this makes things interact far nicer (Apple Pay, HomeKit, AirPlay, etc, etc.)
Old 11-12-2020, 18:20   #28
qpw3141
Unregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I've always fancied a change from a Windows PC but never made the switch to a Mac. I'm not a PC gamer and there's no software I use that I can't get for MacOs. I'm very tempted to ditch the huge PC tower and get the new Mac Mini M1. My thinking is if I find I hate it then it should be easy enough to sell on without a big loss and then I can look into getting a new PC.

So has anyone made the move over from a Windows PC and regretted it?
My G/F made the switch and regretted it.

All this baloney about Apple macs 'just working' is simply not true.

What I always say to people is: "You don't use the OS, you use a browser/email client/word processor/etc". Although you do have to spend a little time in getting used to a few features of any OS (e.g. launch/file locations).

Stick with what you're used to unless you have money to throw away and don't mind going through the learning curve for a new OS.

Having said that, build quality of Apple stuff is superb.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Bish (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 14:09   #29
Kryten
Administrator

One thing I would say from all my friends that have gotten the new M1 MacBook Air, the speed and battery life is astounding, and no fans.
Old 21-12-2020, 16:40   #30
Bish

TL;DR I did buy the M1 Mac mini and Iím very happy so far, canít see me going back to Windows.

Thanks for all the replies and I did up buying the base model M1 Mac Mini, I wasnít in a big rush to change but it was slightly discounted during Black Friday weekend and I thought why not.

With regards the machine itself Iím astounded just how good it is, I know my PC was getting a bit long in the tooth but itís amazing to think such a small box could delivery such performance. One factor I never anticipated was how quiet it is, in fact itís totally silent, the only noise comes from my external Seagate Backup plus drive when I connect it up to back up files. One negative about the design is the really limited amount of ports but the Satechi Hub has solved the problem and it sits well beneath the Mini and looks great. The space Iíve saved from removing my PC tower has also enabled me to buy another set of desk drawers.

After using only Windows for the past few decades I did wonder how the transition would go and it was surprisingly easy. Iíd had a few people say they hated MacOS and itís not intuitive etc but I found it pretty straight forward. A few things seemed alien and took a while to get used to like the menu bar for programmes actually being at the top of the screen and not within the program window itself. Another is the way some software needs dragging to a folder when installing. Also it seems daft that the red button does more or less the same as the yellow one and you canít end software simply by clicking it.

As for input devices I went with a Logitech MX Keys keyboard and the Trackpad 2 the latter was really awkward to get used to and at one point I did miss using a mouse. Now after a couple of weeks itís much better however I still find it a bit more tricky when trying to do fiddly stuff in Photoshop. I didnít encounter any of the Bluetooth issues others seemed to have had but their proximity to the Mini is really close so that may be why.

Software wise I havenít encounter any issues other than my printer, Iíve got it to print but the MacOS software to run some of the utilities and scanner are not compatible with M1. All my other main applications like Photoshop & Roon run without any issues. I did have slight difficulty in finding a good free CD Ripper and Cue file splitter but XLD seems to do the job at the moment.

Iím glad I made the switch and donít regret buying it, that said itís still new so once the novelty has gone and a few months have passed Iíll know for sure. That said at this moment in time I see no reason to return to a PC.

Finally Iím currently using my old Dell monitor with a slightly uncommon native resolution of 2048 X 1152 itís no better or worse than under Windows but deciding what to go for next is a nightmare. At one point I was certain I wanted to go down the Ultrawide route but I could do with having a good 4K display to share with my Xbox Series X & a PS5 when I get one. I often use a 1080p Sony for my consoles if our main TV is in use so getting rid of that and going down to one screen would be ideal. Do I wait for Monitors to become available with HDMI 2.1? Which is better for desktop use 27Ē or 32Ē 4K, will I need to scale using them etc? These are some of the questions I've encountered and Iím sick of reading up about it all to be honest.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
basegreen (21-12-2020), Wooglie (21-12-2020)
Old 21-12-2020, 17:06   #31
basegreen
neergesab

I have an apple magic mouse I would be happy to send to you for free in the new year.

The red button will close stuff, assuming its the last window open.

If you do that, it will (default) show the icon in the dock as a recent app.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:36   #32
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
I have an apple magic mouse I would be happy to send to you for free in the new year.

The red button will close stuff, assuming its the last window open.

If you do that, it will (default) show the icon in the dock as a recent app.
Thanks for the kind offer, to be honest I've got quite used to the Trackpad but may try a magic mouse at some point. With regards the red button I just assumed it would work like the cross in windows and close the app fully.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote