Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 22:28   #1
son of thunder
Trusted User

Raised by Wolves

I watched the first 3 Episodes of this HBO max show which is created by Aaron Guzikowski and produced by Ridley Scott. Scott also directs the first 2 episodes with his son directing the 3rd.

I'm not a huge Sc-fi fan so my opinion might not be the most reliable, but I really enjoyed it.
Amanda Collin is excellent as Mother and its nice to see Travis Fimmel back on the screen.

I wont say to much at this point to avoid spoilers but its worth a watch.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:08   #2
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,211 Posts
Not heard of this so thanks for the heads-up. After a quick spoiler-free perusal, it sounds and looks great !

Can you rate the level of grit & gore, son ... typical HBO? (As it's not my wife's thing).

driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:30   #3
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Not heard of this so thanks for the heads-up. After a quick spoiler-free perusal, it sounds and looks great !

Can you rate the level of grit & gore, son ... typical HBO? (As it's not my wife's thing).
Well I'm hoping the levels don't tail as the Cinematography and Music is great. Story is interesting and it definitely has that Ridley Scott feel to it.

In Regards to your question There is no sex and Nudity do far (unfortunately) profanity none, but the violence and gore is up to normal HBO levels. It was fine for me, but I guess it sounds like it your wife might not like some scenes. I will say its not constantly all the way through.

Last edited by son of thunder; 04-09-2020 at 12:00.
son of thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:52   #4
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I thought this was going to be about the excellent Caitlin Moran autobiographical sitcom...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised...tish_TV_series)

Much, much better than the recent film adaptation of How To Build A Girl
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 17:35   #5
Apostate
Trusted User

Seen the first episode - superb. I didn't think Ridley Scott was still capable of something so good.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 14:09   #6
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Saw the first ep, slow and dull, seeming to spen dmore time showing you the arid landscape than make you care about the characters. Actually finally gets interesting in the last 10 mins or so. It howver lacked heart, like it was written by a replicant.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:48   #7
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

I'm about 2/3 of the way through and looking for a reason to continue. An intriguing premise (children are raised by androids to found a new civilisation of atheists on another planet) is let down by a dodgy script with some truly horrible dialogue (kids raised by android in the future will be saying things like 'yeah well you suck too, dumbass'). An international cast often, but not always, speak in American accents, but frequently lapse into their own (Australian, South African, Irish). The acting on the whole isn't very good - particularly among the kids, but among the adult 'names' too. Amanda Collin as android Mother is pretty much the only good thing about it.

It's also pretty stupid at times - the androids programmed to raise atheists make sure to tell the kids about the religions they shouldn't believe in - but most of all... it's just dull.

I've talked myself out of continuing. Job done!
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 14:11   #8
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Shame ... had so much potential.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:37   #9
Apostate
Trusted User

watched this to the end and loved it. roll on season 2
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:50   #10
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Shame ... had so much potential.
I hadn't watched it when I posted that, but I have now, and my opinion is pretty much the same!

I went into this with zero knowledge other than to not expect much. There's a lot to like - unusual atmosphere, cinematography, soundtrack, acting of the leads, decent CGI for the most part, and the first episode didn't go anywhere close to the direction I was expecting.

Although I did stick with it to the end, I agree with Wowbagger that it is a struggle. There are way too many daft things happening, and at times it feels like a cheap kids' TV show or Kirk-era Star Trek. There are the usual TV-show problems with travelling distances, and juggling so many characters - what to do with everyone as time passes. There are several obvious explanations of the science or the situation that are just for us the viewer (and don't explain away half the plot holes anyway).

Agree that if 'Mother' wasn't so compelling a character, I would have FFd through some scenes, and got to the ridiculously OTT conclusion all the sooner.

The thing that annoyed me the most was ...