Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 13-06-2020, 12:13   #21
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post
It’s worth a try at least, otherwise mini boxes can be connected via powerline too.
True.

But, technically, them all being connected by Powerlines ( or Cat6 cable ) should be no different to 1 of them being wired to a router and the others having a WiFi connection to that same router
AdamBrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 20:12   #22
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Yep, main box via power line, mini Wi-Fi to main box.

I think even when you connect the mini to the router Wi-Fi, it then ignores that and connects directly to the main box.

BT router btw.

Last edited by AndyWilson; 13-06-2020 at 20:14.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 07:46   #23
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

It has almost been a month since I switched to powerline adapters and it has worked very well thus far for 2 of the 3 mini-boxes.

Before that, the Wi-Fi signal kept dropping in all 3 mini-boxes so frequently that it was rare to be able to watch a 2-hour movie without an image freeze (the hardwired main box worked fine, of course). Several reboots, talked-through system scans and 2 engineer visits were in vain. They even gave me a free booster; both this and the main Sky Broadband Hub (my main router) kept showing 3 green lights all the time and yet the 'connectivity problem' errors kept happening.

So I fitted 3 Devolo 1200+ Powerline Adapters to all 3 ini-boxes and disabled their wifi function at the same time. This immediately resolved the connection issue in 2 of the 3 mini-boxes but in the third, the Devolo kept flashing a red light. I could not understand this till the electrician told me that the plugs on that room had to be routed through another mains because of the layout of cabling in the flat. So, it was working like an extension rather than mains/mains. I removed the Devolo and re-enabled the Wi-fi for that one room and this sorted the problem completely.

So, for the past 3 weeks I have had the Sky Main box hardwired to the router, 2 mini-boxes on powerline adapters with the wifi disabled and one mini-box on wifi. Everything has worked like a proverbial peach, even with the max 3 TVs on Sky.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 16:33   #24
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,698 Times in 579 Posts
Aye. Powerlines only work if the plug is on the same ring main as the router plug.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 09:59   #25
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
It has almost been a month since I switched to powerline adapters and it has worked very well thus far for 2 of the 3 mini-boxes.

Before that, the Wi-Fi signal kept dropping in all 3 mini-boxes so frequently that it was rare to be able to watch a 2-hour movie without an image freeze (the hardwired main box worked fine, of course). Several reboots, talked-through system scans and 2 engineer visits were in vain. They even gave me a free booster; both this and the main Sky Broadband Hub (my main router) kept showing 3 green lights all the time and yet the 'connectivity problem' errors kept happening.

So I fitted 3 Devolo 1200+ Powerline Adapters to all 3 ini-boxes and disabled their wifi function at the same time. This immediately resolved the connection issue in 2 of the 3 mini-boxes but in the third, the Devolo kept flashing a red light. I could not understand this till the electrician told me that the plugs on that room had to be routed through another mains because of the layout of cabling in the flat. So, it was working like an extension rather than mains/mains. I removed the Devolo and re-enabled the Wi-fi for that one room and this sorted the problem completely.

So, for the past 3 weeks I have had the Sky Main box hardwired to the router, 2 mini-boxes on powerline adapters with the wifi disabled and one mini-box on wifi. Everything has worked like a proverbial peach, even with the max 3 TVs on Sky.
Super thread bump to clarify ... so your main box and mini boxes are all talking to each other via the network managed by your router ? The mini boxes aren't talking directly to the main box but were able to find it on the network ?

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 18-10-2020 at 14:04.
AdamBrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 14:30   #26
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Super thread bump to clarify ... so your main box and mini boxes are all talking to each other via the network managed by your router ? The mini boxes aren't talking directly to the main box but were able to find it on the network ?
Not sure who's talking to who but in the 3 months or so since I posted last (up t Mid-September 2020), Sky Q was been faultless. The Main box hardwired to the router, 2 of the satellites on powerline adapters and one on Wifi (booster nearby).

Since mid-September 2020 I have been in India for our 6 -month winter sojourn. Back to UK in mid-March 2021.

Here in India there is Tata-Sky equivalent but nothing like our 'Q'. Although each of the Sky HD boxes are hardwired, the internet signal is Wifi based and frequently dropped out. So, I had a mesh installed and we now have superfast internet and excellent reception for Netflix, Prime, Youtube etc.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
AdamBrunt (09-11-2020)