Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 03-11-2009, 09:07   #1
new
Sand Dab

Thumbs up New Super Mario Bros.Wii released on November 20

Since my son got an XBox 360 for his birthday in the summer (the best present we ever got him ) our Wii has been gather dust, but think that might change as I really fancy this.

If its done right this and the 4 player stuff works as good as it looks, then this is going to be big winner for the Wii, and looking forward to it as much as the XBox Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Anyone else looking forward to some multi player Mario action?

A few links about it:
Enjoy Nintendo

Kombo

IGN

Last edited by new; 03-11-2009 at 09:08.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15   #2
orac
information is restricted

i think this looks good - only concern is the DS version did get quite hard for kids - my 8 year old has it and struggles on some levels.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22   #3
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by orac View Post
i think this looks good - only concern is the DS version did get quite hard for kids - my 8 year old has it and struggles on some levels.
I can remember mine (and me!) getting stuck on a few places but got past them in the end.

I think this could be where the 4 player option really helps as this way could make it easier to help the under 10's etc while still letting them take an active role.
Old 05-11-2009, 13:55   #4
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Is this going to be any good for a single player?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:40   #5
welshmatt
Rusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Is this going to be any good for a single player?
I hope so, they really are limiting themselves if they ignore the majority of gamers (especially with no online co-op).
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 19:18   #6
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orac View Post
I thought it was a hell of a lot easier and toned down compared to the originals, all of which I completed when I was his age.
Old 05-11-2009, 20:14   #7
orac
information is restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joober View Post
I thought it was a hell of a lot easier and toned down compared to the originals, all of which I completed when I was his age.
todays kids eh?

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 20:54   #8
Guest 36572
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joober View Post
That's what I thought. And we used to have to finish the game in one sitting cos there were no saves. Lol!
Guest 36572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 17:12   #9
Guest 34041
Trusted User

Only gets 7 in Edge.....booooooo

Says it's only half decent for multiplayer.
Guest 34041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 18:38   #10
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Only gets 7 in Edge.....booooooo

Says it's only half decent for multiplayer.

I think thats quite a good score from Edge as it always tends to keep scores respectable and I think rate 5 as a game worth playing. Its also not really the sort of game I would expect them to rave about as its a magazine thats dedicated to more serious" games rather than family ones.
Old 06-11-2009, 21:28   #11
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

^

Wat?

Edge give every other Mario game 11/10 regardless..!! It must be utter dog ***** for them to give it a 7!!
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 21:37   #12
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

The IGN Preview makes it look quite good

I do love the 2D Mario games and agree that NSMB was rather easy compared to the originals. I am still in two minds as it does look as though to get the most out of it you need to play it with others.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 22:48   #13
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
it does look as though to get the most out of it you need to play it with others.
I don't know about that. The multiplayer experience looks like a great twist but the game will always be a single player at heart. You're just doing the same thing as always.

I wouldn't say Edge is for non-family friendly games either. Edge reviews games seriously, rather than reviewing serious games. It treats games the right way, as an art form in their own right and appreciates good game design rather than how "cool" it is. At least they did when it started.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01   #14
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapapapa View Post
^

Wat?

Edge give every other Mario game 11/10 regardless..!! It must be utter dog ***** for them to give it a 7!!
What like the 6/10 they gave Mario Kart Wii
If they rate this one above Mario Kart Wii, than that makes it good enough for me.

Gets a 9 from CVG.

Full review here, but here a few quotes that answer a few things mentioned in this thread:
Quote:
It was like being seven years old all over again as we excitedly stormed into Nintendo UK's office and headed into the clean white room, where a TV displaying the title screen for New Super Mario Bros. Wii awaited us.

This is an exciting time for old-school Mario fans. It's the first proper 2D Mario platformer for a home console since Super Mario World on the Super NES. And we're glad to say that it doesn't disappoint.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii doesn't try to revolutionise 2D platforming. It doesn't mess with the formula. It just does its absolute best to tickle your nostalgia gland, and does so with such incredible (and subtle) charm that it'll put a big, fat smile on your face.

There's no messing with the story - Princess has been kidnapped. Bowser, who's clearly still after a rumble under the sheets with the royal lady, needs to have his ass kicked again and Mario's the one to do it.

Only now, as well as Luigi, he's joined by a couple of well-up-for-it Toads and that makes four-player frolics the big new component.

Before we talk about that though, let's make one thing clear: NSMBW is absolutely brilliant in single-player. While trailers and on-stage demonstrations focused on the game's new multiplayer element, this is a single-player Mario game in exactly the same vein as its classic predecessors, only with the option to slap three more players on the screen.

There's no necessity to ever play it with other people - you can still collect every coin and explore every area of the main quest without the help of others, and we were pleased to find that the level design didn't seem to be affected by the inclusion of a four-player option either.

These are the stages that'll have even the most experienced Mario player gritting their teeth in frustration as they die for the fifteenth time. But it's a good frustration - a just-one-more-go frustration that keeps you sat there for hours. Dying. And for cop-outs there's a Super Guide mode, which kicks in after eight deaths, which offers to play a section of the level for you (without collecting any coins though). It's a neat option for beginners.

The big question is how well all this plays in multiplayer. The possibly controversial conclusion we came to though, after a few hours with four other fairly experienced players, is that it doesn't work as well as you might expect. Essentially, we prefer the game in single-player.

With other players on the screen, the game transforms from a fluid experience to one of waiting. You can't just ninja-bounce over intricate platforms at your own pace, you have to wait for everyone to get through, wait for moving platforms to go back and pick up players forced to hang back, or for less-experienced players (there's always one) to stop buggering it up.

Also, players bash into each other, can pick each other up and bounce on each other's heads. It's utter calamity and results in accidental deaths - lots of them. It's great for the whole co-op competitive spin on the game, but when you just want to get through levels together it's frustrating. The 'I'm-not-**********-playing-anymore' type of frustration.

The separate coin battle mode is a better multiplayer excursion, which has players compete to grab the most coins in five specially designed scrolling levels. That's a good laugh. And another free-for-all mode lets you play any of the main adventure levels that you've unlocked, with the game tallying up points and declaring a winner at the end of the stage. All good fun.

Complaints of the game's multiplayer may come as a disappointment to you, but don't let it ruin your excitement. NSMBW just shows how truly timeless that classic Mario action is, and how Nintendo can still have that playful charm if it wants to. The way Koopers and other enemies all bounce in time to certain parts of the background music, or the way the game claps and cheers when you pass certain challenges - it's the little touches like this that made us smile over and over.

NSMBW is a stunning game in single-player, and a chaotic barrel of light-hearted laughs in multiplayer, accessible to beginners while truly challenging to long-term fans. Well done, Nintendo.
Also gets a 9.2 from IGN Australia
9.4 from gametrailers.com
8 from uk.gamespot
96% from the The Official Nintendo Magazine

Last edited by new; 11-11-2009 at 08:38.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05   #15
LooNaTiK
Aaarrrrggghhhh!

i decided i didnt want this ... until i read that! thanks!

LooN
LooNaTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 13:43   #16
lettuce
XBL Gamertag: BlockABoots

Playing this makes me feel just like i did when i played Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES all those years ago, great stuff, dont listen to Edge FFS

Last edited by lettuce; 12-11-2009 at 13:43.
lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 18:01   #17
Guest 68086
Trusted User

Looking forward to this game too!
Guest 68086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 22:55   #18
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
Playing this makes me feel just like i did when i played Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES all those years ago, great stuff, dont listen to Edge FFS
Indeed. For me though, it feels a lot more like NSMB on the DS (which it is clearly built on - albeit with slightly better graphics). All of Mario's new moves which appeared in NSMB on the DS are here, for instance. Playing a 2D SMB game on a widescreen TV feels a little odd at first, and some of the stages (like ones with a Lakitu) pan right out at times making the levels feel much bigger.

It is GREAT fun - and anyone worrying that they've dumbed it down - don't be. It's just as frustrating as ever. It's taken me a good few hours already to get to the end of World 2 whilst trying to find all the Star Coins - I'm only missing a handful or so from all of the levels. It is definitely NOT easy.

There are no worries about the "help" system. You can simply ignore it and keep trying for yourself. If you die repeatedly (I think it's 8 times) a block with an exclamation mark appears which you can optionally hit which will start a "replay" of Luigi doing the stage from the start - but it never shows you how to get the Star Coins. You can choose to "take over" at any point and then you will play as Luigi for the rest of the stage - you can die on purpose and then you'll be back with Mario to play for real...

It just has that great SMB feel that only these old-skool Nintendo games seem to possess.

Especially, the levels when a Yoshi appears are an absolute treat.

Last edited by FlangeMonkey; 15-11-2009 at 23:04.
FlangeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:29   #19
Anthony.S
XBL - AnthonyS UK

This is certainly not dumbed down and I think the learning curve will prove to be too difficult for 'family' type players as I'm only on world 1 and finding it tough. One of the early unlockable videos is how to obtain infinite lives which is worrying. Multi player is absolutely manic but for me a distraction from the single player mode. I haven't touched the Wii hardly this year until this arrived and I'm not liking going back to the Wii controller for this at all after the 360 pad.
That is a lot of negativity but I'm just not feeling it.
At this early stage I preferred Super Paper Mario more but it does have some exquisite touches and in particular the animation is sublime.
Anthony.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:47   #20
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quite simply, I'm loving it - controls are spot on, difficulty gets groovy early on if you're collecting the 3 star coins hidden in the levels (& I am). Classic platforming action.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote