Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 26-02-2018, 20:36   #101
wasted
Was looney, still can be.

I found it was ok, but its still more of the same style as its been for the past few seasons, and is it really that easy to kill so many people with a stick, I mean c'mon. I quite liked the dream sequence being carls while he was out of it dying.

Its far from the show from a few years ago, maybe its time to think about the end game for it and wrap it up, I guess I will still keep watching to the end.
Old 27-02-2018, 06:00   #102
mjb1975
Blandiblub

I watched it with one eye on the screen, my other eye general browsing on my phone, such is my apathy for it now. Followed it all easily enough. This whole 'All Out War' thing sounds so great given the previous baddies like the sucky Governor, etc, but, for some reason, it's just so boring.
Old 27-02-2018, 07:15   #103
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Thought it was one of the better ones this season myself.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 12:36   #104
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Couldn't bluddy see what was going on again and couldn't hear sometimes as well, might as well watched the wall!

Followed it since the beginning its only in the last couple of years that I have had this trouble with not being able to see whats happening (with brightness and contrast full on!) Although my telly is only 3 years old so you could blame that...
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 17:49   #105
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Thought the most recent episode was mostly really good.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35   #106
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I thought it was rubbish this week, just big guys shouting at each other over walkie talkies. The scrapyard scenes were good though. But overall just felt more of the same.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50   #107
johnson293
Black and White Member

Last lot, I watched the first and last episode, and followed the rest on forums to see if owt happened.

Watched last weeks opener with Carls prolonged death, waiting to see him turn, and then he topped himself offscreen.

Guess I'll do same with this run, and keep tabs on forums to see if its worth watching, and maybe watch the finale again.
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 15:00   #108
Dave B
Stock Photographer

They are just as dumb this season. How come they didn't just climb up high in the scrap yard straight away? They tried killing a load of zombies and then decided oh lets climb up and get away from them.

Also how come there is only one way in or out? What exactly is over them hills of rubbish, do they go on forever or something, am sure there are plenty of ways in and out.

Dave
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 15:31   #109
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Simon mentioned the 'helipad and the solar panels' to the trash leader woman. That helicopter came up mysteriously in the first half of the season too (we saw it fly overhead at one point). Connected, maybe?

I quite liked the way she dispatched all of her previous fellow residents, through the grinder. Ew.

Initially I groaned at the idea of a time shifting episode but thought it was done pretty well.
Old 22-04-2018, 13:52   #110
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,906 Times in 794 Posts
This belongs here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Like Lost, the Walking Dead seems to be one of those shows that has become popular for people to hate. The only time you see posts in the Walking Dead thread is when people have something to moan about, or suddenly become armchair survival experts who clearly have been preparing for a zombie outbreak and think they know better. It has been a bit quiet in the Walking Dead thread of late, which is probably a good sign for the show.

While I am not for a moment suggesting the show doesnít have its problems, the negative aspects are blown way out of proportion. Iíve enjoyed this season - yes it could have implemented things from the source material of the comics better and there was that one decision made (a big departure from the comics) that I think most people didnít like, even the actors on the show. If it did get cancelled it would be replaced by something far more forgettable. So be careful what you wish for.

It also seems that people have lower attention spans these days or prefer to divide their attention between their TV and their phone while watching episodes and wonder why the show is failing to keep them interested. I could talk at length in the Walking Dead thread why some supposedly horrible aspects of the show are not nearly as bad as people are making out. Remember, everything that takes place from the final episode of season 6 to the end of season 8 happens in about a month on the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
I do agree that there are cases where people hate things because they think it's cool to do so but I can assure you that that isn't the case for me. After so many seasons of repeating the same formula my patience was being tested but I still was able to enjoy it. However, the introduction of Negan and the rubbish dump people tipped me over the edge. I know a lot of people enjoy Negan but I just find the character unbearably naff and I can't stand Jeffrey Dean Morgan's pantomime performance. The less said about the rubbish dump people the better. Life is too short to waste an hour a week watching a show that has characters that make you want to pull your hair out. If they cancel it and replace it with something worse then that is of no importance to me as there is plenty of good stuff out there.
Quote:
Really, I thought The Saviors did mark something different from repeating the same formula of Rickís group going up against a rival group where you knew they would inevitably win. For the first time Rickís group had to contemplate surrender and compliance. We see why The Saviors have been so successful - they are kind of like the Borg from Star Trek making other groups part of their collective but doing it by completely demoralising them. The show asks the question what is different about Rickís group that keeps them fighting back, compared to all the other groups The Saviors have broken.

All that probably didnít make season 7 as entertaining viewing, but that was the point. It was funny reading comments from people at the end of the last season where people were saying that the battle at the end where they started to fight back didnít have any tension - it wasnít supposed to have, Season 7 was the tension and the battle was the release of it.

Lots of foreshadowing of things to come in the last episode of season 8 and as far back as episode 2 actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
The problem was my patience was wearing thin before the saviours and all the new characters that came into the show were unfortunately irritating to me.

It may be the point but I want shows to be more entertaining, not less. I do think that I would probably have stuck with it if it wasn't for Negan. Early in this recent series they had him totally exposed with a number of guns aimed at him at close range and decided to talk to him rather than kill him. At this point it was very clearly established that he couldn't be reasoned with and was a mortal danger to everyone so it made no sense whatsoever to not just kill him as soon as he appeared. This just let me know that writers were in love with Negan and there was no way they were going to get rid of him so any tension was gone. If you enjoy Negan this is great but if you don't then it's fairly unbearable to watch.
Quote:
I like Neganís character and I think Jeffrey Dean Morganís interpretation of Negan is really good. He adds a bit of flamboyant humour to what could have been a very depressing and serious subject matter. I donít know if you are aware of this or not but at the beginning of Season 8 Jeffrey Dean Morgan was filming the movie Rampage which unfortunately had some negative impacts on his involvement with the Walking Dead at the time, hence the contrived way he was kept out of it for a while. Iím not making excuses for the show, just explaining why certain decisions had to be made.

As for the garbage people, I mostly agree but the character of Jadis has kind of grown on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
i think the fact theres been no walking dead thread buzz this time is a bad thing, its not inspiring people to write. I've always found it one of my must watch as soon as it is on programmes, this time for the first time was blase about it.
Quote:
There will probably be a huge time jump of a couple of years at the beginning of season 9 with quite a different tone to the whole series as well. So I hope those who are a bit disillusioned with TWD at present will be able to get reinvested in it.

Next season we should see:

Which will make

because
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 14:08   #111
Nana
Walk without rhythm

I thought the crossover episode of Fear the Walking Dead was the best episode that series had seen in at least a season. Actually thought of tuning in for a second episode.
Old 22-04-2018, 14:17   #112
driver8
eviscerate your memory

I watched the whole season over a few nights, just after ep16 was broadcast. After all the negative comments on here I really wasn't expecting much, so was very pleasantly surprised ! Yes, it could be better, but it's certainly been worse (farm snoozefest).

Maybe I've got used to the stealth zombies, the unlimited bullets, the ease by which people zip between the key locations (how far apart is everyone?) etc, but I was hardly shouting at the screen this season ! And when I started to FF through some boring dialogue, I found I had to REW anyway cos I'd missed a bit (although Caaarl's stuff was too extended).

And while I can understand the hate for Negan's character, I actually really like it, and the actor too, and can see how his charisma and brutality would see him through in the zombie apocalypse (although they do overplay his invincibility in this series!)

* SPOILERS *

Things I really disliked -
- the continued lack of food, without any effort to grow any or scavenge. What is everyone supposed to be eating ?? (Especially to keep on so much body weight!)
- the instant dispatch of the grannie leader of the women in the woods. Followed by instant forgiveness and help. Wtf?
- poor end to the tiger (although apparently same as the comics).
- the tease of the helicopter and solar panels. (Plus the whole garbage village was completely unbelievable as a place to live).
- for such a pivotal scene, Rick's precision slash to the throat ... just right!
- final episode, final minutes - Maggies statement, and delivered to those 2 guys, too. Wtf ? Completely out of character for all 3, and an obvious setup for the next season (if you read up online for spoilers, there's also another apparent reason this was done).

Things they could have done to make it really cool -
- made Carol a Leon-style assassin - she was half-way there, hiding in that ceiling ! No explanations, just stealth executions of the Saviours.
- when Negan was strapped to that trolley by the Garbage Queen, it would have been excellent if she'd quite deservedly tortured him. First by going through with the Lucille burning, and then by hacking off his limbs (like in that Sin City scene). She could have cauterized the wounds with the smouldering Lucille, and delivered him to Rick on the trolley (to be kept alive). That would have been in keeping with the brutality of the show, and would have been just-desserts for Negan whilst keeping his chirpy-chappy sarcasm in the show!
Old 22-04-2018, 16:47   #113
dunkle
Trusted User

As of midway through season 2 fear the walking dead became a much much better show
Season 3 was very good indeed and had a great opening to season 4

Strange as first season was terrible even by normal walking dead standards
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 06:51   #114
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanks for the heads-up Duncan. I've not watched any Fear after the bad reviews, so might just check it out.

Re-reading the Fear thread, it sounds like it only picks up by ep3 of s3. That's quite a big time investment sitting through the dross, so I might leave it a while longer to see how the next season pans out first.

Last edited by driver8; 23-04-2018 at 07:00.
Old 23-04-2018, 08:19   #115
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up Duncan. I've not watched any Fear after the bad reviews, so might just check it out.

Re-reading the Fear thread, it sounds like it only picks up by ep3 of s3. That's quite a big time investment sitting through the dross, so I might leave it a while longer to see how the next season pans out first.
Id heard that put from about midway through sesson 2 I really started to enjoy it and In fairness I think Iíd you just skipped forward to just after the half way point of season 2 you would soon pick things up.
Old 30-05-2018, 09:02   #116
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Andrew Lincoln leaving in Season 9, & Lauren Cohan seems quite likely to jump ship too:

http://collider.com/andrew-lincoln-l...dead-season-9/
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:30   #117
JohnMac

Sorry to find out that Andrew Lincoln (Rick) and Lauren Cohan (Maggie) seem to be both leaving The Walking Dead in Season 9, which probably means the end for the show. I just can't see it surviving without them. Scott Gimple is no longer the show runner but I think the decision to kill Carl off was probably the moment where Andrew Lincoln decided it was time to move on. How they handled Carl and Rick in the comics was a little bit different but I think without Rick's motivation to take care of his son it doesn't leave Andrew Lincoln much to work with. AMC want Daryl to be the main character and you probably couldn't fill a page with the amount of words he has ever said on the show. The TV landscape is a more interesting place with the Walking Dead landmark to visit, I will be sad to see it go.
Old 30-05-2018, 11:18   #118
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Not sure if I am going to bother catching up on series 8 if two of main characters are leaving at some point in the next series.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 11:23   #119
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Not sure if I am going to bother catching up on series 8 if two of main characters are leaving at some point in the next series.
I would recommend watching season 8 and stop watching after that if you like. At least you would have a conclusion of sorts...
Old 30-05-2018, 12:16   #120
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Sorry to find out that Andrew Lincoln (Rick) and Lauren Cohan (Maggie) seem to be both leaving The Walking Dead in Season 9, which probably means the end for the show. I just can't see it surviving without them. Scott Gimple is no longer the show runner but I think the decision to kill Carl off was probably the moment where Andrew Lincoln decided it was time to move on. How they handled Carl and Rick in the comics was a little bit different but I think without Rick's motivation to take care of his son it doesn't leave Andrew Lincoln much to work with. AMC want Daryl to be the main character and you probably couldn't fill a page with the amount of words he has ever said on the show. The TV landscape is a more interesting place with the Walking Dead landmark to visit, I will be sad to see it go.

Iím actually of the other opinion in that I think it could be a better show without them (and carol and Daryl)

I hated first season and half of fear the walking dead but the last dozen or so episodes of it have been better than anything the parent show has done