Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 21-11-2017, 11:43   #61
cjay
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I have no idea why the guns they're going after are so important. They're losing people and wasting ammo, yet everyone already seems to have their own collection of automatic weapons. Maybe Rick's looking for a gun with a straight barrel so he can finally shoot Negan.
Yeah. I was wondering about this too. The season randomly started off with 'we need to get those guns' completely out of nowhere. I guess they're talking specifically about those fifty cals that decimated the king's group. As you say, they not exactly stretched for guns with all these random red shirts they're continually, jarringly introducing all packing some full auto, military assault rifle.

Also, is anyone else bothered by how rick is carrying that axe on his belt? Blade facing forward, no sheath. I hope he carries a big packet of plasters.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 13:50   #62
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Well I for one am finding it far better this year than this time last year where it just bored me with subservient Rick week after week. I also like Ezekiel with his putting on a good face to inspire his people even if he may not be feeling it.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:34   #63
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

I think one of the problems with it now is that it's a show about the zombie apocalypse where the zombie apocalypse had been relegated to a very small side story.

The zombies aren't even a danger now, everyone and his dog just casually walks up and stabs them in the head without a care in the world on the odd occasion they make an appearance in an episode.

Last edited by Wilson; 22-11-2017 at 12:36.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 14:19   #64
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Er that's always been the point of zombie apocalypse tales.

Example quotes from George A Romero:

“My stories are about humans and how they react, or fail to react, or react stupidly. I'm pointing the finger at us, not at the zombies. I try to respect and sympathize with the zombies as much as possible.”
― George A. Romero

My zombies will never take over the world because I need the humans. The humans are the ones I dislike the most, and they're where the trouble really lies. George A. Romero
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/g..._romero_480908

Although I don't always agree with him:

People called '28 Days' and '28 Weeks' zombie movies, and they're not! It's some sort of virus; they're not dead. George A. Romero
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/g..._romero_480891

He liked Shaun of the Dead though, which is cool, and for a last word:

I'm like my zombies. I won't stay dead! George A. Romero
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/g..._romero_480883
Old 23-11-2017, 14:50   #65
MaxNutter

and therein lies the problem with a zombie TV series, as opposed to a film.

In a film the gaps between zombie attacks are probably no more than 20 minutes (maybe longer in the original Dawn of the Dead, but not much), and then it's back to brains on the wall action. You can't keep that up in a tv series, and so it risks straying dangerously close to a soap opera with added, occasional, zombies.
Old 24-11-2017, 13:34   #66
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Every season's The Walking Dead thread on here:

Too much talking: Boring!
Too much action: Boring!
Non-linear timelines: Confusing & Boring!

aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 13:34   #67
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Good quote. Thanks
Old 24-11-2017, 17:37   #68
fivebyfive
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
and therein lies the problem with a zombie TV series, as opposed to a film.
Only if the writers are really bad, Zombie TV show does not have fall back on being a soap opera with zombies every week but the writing for the show has got worse and worse.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 08:40   #69
shteve
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted View Post
Daryl Rick fight was 'WTF' and silly explosions, the saviours around the table like a war meeting as if nothing much has happened, the workers like well look after us even though all what had happened,
I thought the war room thing was just before they go outside and Rick et al are there, so nothing much has happened yet.
Old 26-11-2017, 12:27   #70
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
Romero also said this:

"They asked me to do a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead but I didn’t want to be a part of it. Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. "
I've been calling it Eastenders with zombies for years!
Old 27-11-2017, 07:54   #71
dunkle
Trusted User

That’s it, I’m done. Midway through latest episode, it’s going nowhere and been going that way, slowly, for years, I’ve dropped better shows than this sooner. Enough is enough
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 16:18   #72
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
That’s it, I’m done. Midway through latest episode, it’s going nowhere and been going that way, slowly, for years, I’ve dropped better shows than this sooner. Enough is enough
Yep, i finished it but thats me out now, this week had so many poor moments it was hard to get through it.

Carl unable to knife a zombie anymore. Also known as we haven't had any zombies in it this week so we better make a short stupid totally out of context scene.
Stupid Rick.
Naked Rick.
The 'Daryll turns up at the right moment again' regular feature.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 12:44   #73
cjay
Trusted User

It's like the writers go to the pub every day, get back and realize they only have 12 minutes to write an episode. Then get the tea boy to wite it in those 12 minutes.

Last edited by cjay; 28-11-2017 at 17:32.
Old 29-11-2017, 10:19   #74
aprout
worn to perfection

I'm not quite as down on this season as the rest of you, but jebus, this week's episode was absolutely ******* dire.

Naked arts & crafts time with the heapsters, Carl meeting some random dude in the woods (were we supposed to know who that was?) & inviting him home, the incredibly irritating & cocky savior prisoner, Maggie telling the prisoners "if you step out of line, That's It" & then the cocky ****** does exactly that & they don't just shoot him in the head? Not to mention the 'little kid who thinks he can fight' cliche. It's like they're trying to **** their audience off.

The bit with the rocket launcher was quite cool though, I'll give them that.

FYI, they announced on Talking Dead who the character crossing over to Fear the Walking Dead is:
Old 29-11-2017, 11:18   #75
cjay
Trusted User

We met Carl's new friend a few episodes back. I think it was an episode opening where they replicated a scene from season 1. He was talking to himself near a petrol station and Carl finds him whilst scavenging I think. Rick scares him off with some 'warning' shots.
Old 29-11-2017, 11:31   #76
aprout
worn to perfection

Ah, right. Well, I guess like most new characters on this show these days, he made absolutely no impression on me...
Old 29-11-2017, 12:08   #77
cjay
Trusted User

Yeah, like how they suddenly give screen time and talking parts to people who are obviously new but have never been introduced and we're supposed to believe they've been there the whole time. Pretty lazy. I guess there are issues having such a large cast but there has to be a better way.
Old 29-11-2017, 14:30   #78
mjb1975
Blandiblub

That is Siddiq who is in the comic books apparently. (I don't read them but watched a review on YT).

I LOVED the rocket launcher by Rosita!

Tbh, I think I kinda preferred the last couple of episodes to the amazingly silly Police Squad style shoot-outs in the early eps of S8.

It's still pretty bad but I'm too far in now to give up. Only a couple more before the mid-season break and there's bound to be something noteworthy in the 'finale' before Xmas.
Old 05-12-2017, 21:35   #79
wasted
Was looney, still can be.

Guess everyone has dropped this as no more comments, but latest ep was the worst yet, which is saying something with how the season has gone so far. An ep centered around Eugene and the trash people, I tried to follow it but the dialogue was ridiculous and mumbled, why cant these people talk in a way that most of us can understand, if I was that bothered about the series I would have put subtitles on just to work out what they were saying, I cant be the only one to find it hard to understand what the hell that was.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:18   #80
cjay
Trusted User

Yeah, that episode was proper dull. Got to be cancelled soon surely. Or more likely keep shuffling on with the slightest hint of life like a zombie.