Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 17:43   #1
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

The returning shows thread. What you watching. What you dropping. 2017 and beyond

Other half and I still sticking with the Chicago shows and NCIS.
NCIS is definitely treating water and seems a far cry from the days when they got rid of one of the main characters in a way which to this day remains one of the genuine surprises I have had from shows of this type.

The Chicago shows are light hearted enough we can just bung on when don't want too think too much

First show I have dropped this session is Leathal Weapon. I enjoyed season 1 but it's just villain of the week and first couple of episodes have just done what they did all through season one. Shame as l like the main characters

Designated Survivor is still on watch list but hope they move it forward a bit more now. I'd actually quite like them to go a big like the more recent Jack Ryan Snr novels but guess it's wanting to be more light hearted than that
DuncanSWardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:27   #2
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
I've dropped Blindspot, and The Flash, Supergirl and The Blacklist are pretty close to the exit given how poorly they've started this year.
Supergirl went very early into last season. Blindspot felt too similar to Blacklist that I never bothered with it and dropped Blacklist when it seemed stuck in an infinite repeat loop.

The flash is one show I still look forward to but it again needs to push forward and return to being fun.

Forgot about The Last Ship, have not yet finished this most recent season but can't help feel that the end must be near
Old 12-10-2017, 15:17   #3
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Quote:
It's very hard to keep following shows where one of the leading characters bugs the hell out of you, I find. In The Blacklist, it's Agent Keane, in Supergirl it's any of her boyfriends and in Blindspot it was the female lead who couldn't do the action or romantic scenes with any conviction. I can kinda overlook this if the stories stack up and the rest of the cast is fine but once the annoyance is center stage I can't bear it - take the opening episode of this season's The Flash featuring the dreadful Iris....

Oh and Mr Robot is circling the plughole too - that second season was so up its own butt that I ceased to try to understand or care.
Ha, spot on about Iris

I watched opening episode of Legends just after Flash, a show that's usually always fun even when it's silly, but did not enjoy this opener at all

The beach scenes where very juvanile, the historic "baddie" was annoying, Victor Garber sign posting his intentions (which where on news feeds today)

It seemed very much like an episode made when they really has no story or idea of the season arc and just did not work.
Old 12-10-2017, 15:24   #4
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I've dumped Madam Secretary as last season was so boring & Designated Survivor (which I also watch) is slowly turning into it, so I don't need to watch both. Also dropped Brooklyn 99 which got really poor.

Have also dumped all the new network shows apart from The Good Doctor, The Orville, The Gifted, Law & Order: True Crime & Star Trek: Discovery.

Of the returning network shows, Lethal Weapon S2 has been the biggest surprise so far. S1 was a guilty pleasure but really not that good. This season, it still has paper-thin plots but the writing, humour & dialogue is much improved IMO.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 16:48   #5
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Have dropped The Last Ship just a few episodes short of the current season
A few episodes in, something was happening which (I'll not spoil) I pretty much dismissed by saying to myself "nah, even for this it would be too silly" but hey, guess what, what I thought turned out to be the best way they where going and the whole show seemed to have taken its enjoyable silliness too far.
Old 18-10-2017, 19:11   #6
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Quote:
And it's a clean sweep for my CW shows as Valor and DC Legends fall off my watchlist.

On a positive note, Chance is back for a second season and still rather good as is Good Behavior - so hurrah for them...
This week's legends was awful. Can see what you dropped it. Even had some weird end of an 80s cartoon laugh along at the end. I'll stick with it for now, even arrow pulled me back in (but echo the above about the drama of the last episode being ripped apart in 45 minutes)

The Flash gets a couple of bonus points for this week's opener and game of thrones joke
Old 19-10-2017, 08:16   #7
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Have dropped The Last Ship just a few episodes short of the current season
A few episodes in, something was happening which (I'll not spoil) I pretty much dismissed by saying to myself "nah, even for this it would be too silly" but hey, guess what, what I thought turned out to be the best way they where going and the whole show seemed to have taken its enjoyable silliness too far.
Understandable that you dropped it as there was a lengthy number of episodes in the middle of this season which were dreadful & I was tempted to dump it too... BUT! they obviously saved up their budget for the final two episodes which were action packed & (despite being silly at times) were very entertaining & I'm back on board for season five!
Old 19-10-2017, 08:23   #8
TonyG

Quote:
This week's legends was awful. Can see what you dropped it. Even had some weird end of an 80s cartoon laugh along at the end. I'll stick with it for now, even arrow pulled me back in (but echo the above about the drama of the last episode being ripped apart in 45 minutes)

The Flash gets a couple of bonus points for this week's opener and game of thrones joke
Yes, I'm usually a fan of how Legends embraces zany comic-book silliness but so far this season, it feels like they're going too far. I physically cringed this week when Victor Garber made his "Meta" Titanic joke.

The Flash still has issues but this week's was fun & nice they are finally being creative with his powers & doing the cool, crazy stuff he does in the comic-books (dismantling moving cars, plucking shrapnel out the air, etc)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59   #9
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

This week's flash good fun, good cameo and a good attempt at bringing in one of the lesser / more forgotten heroes
Old 06-11-2017, 18:56   #10
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Trying to work out why I returned to Arrow after dropping it once before and why I’m not dropping it again

If it could stick to dark and gritty it would be fine, but it seems they can’t resist from featuring felicity more and more. Also anything they do with “clever tech” is laughable, I know it’s a comic book show, I know that ludicrous stuff happens in all the dc shows, but the arrow techy stuff is more cringy than anything similar in csi / ncis
Old 06-11-2017, 22:51   #11
tomos
XBL - virgo22

Quote:
Trying to work out why I returned to Arrow after dropping it once before and why I’m not dropping it again

If it could stick to dark and gritty it would be fine, but it seems they can’t resist from featuring felicity more and more. Also anything they do with “clever tech” is laughable, I know it’s a comic book show, I know that ludicrous stuff happens in all the dc shows, but the arrow techy stuff is more cringy than anything similar in csi / ncis
yea, long thread on reddit about the technobabble nonsense in that show. i'm not dropping it but i do skip a lot of the scenes. i mean "the cpus overclocking exponentially and is going to explode" or some such. wtf!
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 21:13   #12
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Dropped American Gods at the penultimate episode. I tried. And Mr Robot after the first ep S2.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:06   #13
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Quote:
Not missing the Arrowverse at all. I am starting to doubt Graves though as the writers try to broaden the scope to the ex-president's family and worry less on Nick Nolte - only problem is that his family are hateful ***** who should have been strangled in the cot and played by actors who believe comedy equals BIG.

On the plus side, the new season of Berlin Station is terrific and Absentia, Good Behaviour and Lucifer are all pretty cool too. As for Gotham, it very occasionally isn't entirely OTT and contradictory but it needs another actor as Bruce Wayne...
I really do like Gotham but agreee, young Bruce just seems out of place, this weeks ckubbing Bruce was like something from Byker Grove
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07   #14
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Not sure what it is with me, I just seem to let shows slip and delete them all as I cannot be bothered catching it up. There was nothing wrong with Gotham.

I think it's partly this "must track America" ethos a lot of shows now have, so there is an episode one week, miss two, back for a couple, hey it's the world series, etc. But mostly because nothing seems to hold my attention like it did.

Can't tell if it is the shows or it is me. The only new stuff I watch is either topical news stuff, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones and Big Bang Theory.

Maybe it's the digital age, I mean, Designated Survivor and Star Trek Discovery aren't going anywhere are they? They'll be on Netflix forever
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31   #15
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

I think I dropped Big Bang at S8..
Valor made it through 4 episodes but couldn't be arsed to "obtain Ep5" even with the Blood Drive Hotty in. This will get canned shortly Im sure.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 21:20   #16
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Dropped American Gods at the penultimate episode. I tried. And Mr Robot after the first ep S2.
Exactly the same here. It plays on my mind that ive only got one episode left to watch but i’d ultimately rather spend my time on something that holds my interest, and as pretty as that show looks, i was always distracted by other things.

Same reason i havent started S3 of Mr. Robot and probably wont watch S2 of Legion.
Old 08-11-2017, 21:30   #17
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Probably the best place to ask this ...

Anyone know when Elementary returns in the US ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:51   #18
Nana
Walk without rhythm

According to DEN of GEEK season 6 will be aired early 2018, no exact date mentioned though.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:16   #19
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Legends of Tomorrow varies so wildly in quality from week to week I wonder why I bother half the time. Last weeks halloween E.T. homage was great fun, but this week was as bad as most of season 1 & like that season had me shouting 'Just shoot him FFS!' at the screen a lot.

Same with the usually solid The Flash in the last couple of episodes. Last week we had the introduction of Plastic Man & guest star Danny Trejo, which was highly entertaining, but this week? We've beaten superpowered baddie of the week Katee Sackhoff, shall we lock her up like we do with every other evil Meta we meet? Nah, just give her a stern look & let her go, she'll never do it again. #feminism. WTF?
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:54   #20
TonyG

Katee Sackhoff is usually reliable but WTF was that performance & accent?!?

Did she think she was in the Gotham show? ... So camp & horribly OTT...