Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Notices

Old 16-12-2015, 20:11   #461
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
What, Elite Dangerous? That was officially released 2 months ago.
Pretty much when that was posted then
Old 16-12-2015, 20:14   #462
lentini
now with added cymbals

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Well... the post you're quoting was 2 months ago...
Oh **** I was looking at the time stamp of Taq's post
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:45   #463
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,151 Times in 1,873 Posts
Interesting. They've abandoned their unusual pricing model of selling the game again to those who already have it to get the new content.

Horizons is now a traditional expansion to the base game and reduced the base game price. It's only actually a fiver less than it was previously for owners of the first game (well a tenner atm cause of steam sale!) and yet... somehow... it feels better!

Last edited by target; 06-02-2016 at 18:51.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:22   #464
riz1
Trusted User

I play it so rarely I wasn't going to bother with Horizons but the Engineers stuff sounds cool
Old 10-02-2016, 15:25   #465
Taq
Evil Scientist

It's now down to £19.99 for the Horizons expansion, which is much more sensible pricing. Might actually buy it now!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:20   #466
Smash41
Trusted User

Deep space exploration game Elite Dangerous, already available on PC and Xbox One, will finally touch down on PlayStation 4 in Q2 2017, developer Frontier Games has announced. Includes every expansion and season pass.
Smash41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:39   #467
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Anyone still playing this? I picked it up for 20 quid on the Xbone for the full lot and have to say it is FAR better on the console than PC. I think this is mainly due to the quite brilliant job of mapping the controls to the pad versus the god awful keyboard and mouse controls on the PC. I believe it is much better with a flight stick but I was loathe to fork out a crap load for that.

I'm wandering round the galaxy with a mate just picking up 100k trade missions in our viper iv's. Will look to trade up soon but really enjoying it. If anyone has it on the xbone and fancies exploring some time let me know
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19   #468
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,151 Times in 1,873 Posts
Flight sticks aren't that much if you don't need top of the line and force feedback.

You could probably get a Thrustmaster compatible with both (XBone OR PS) AND PC for < £50. And they're excellent (and occasionally featured in the bargain forum)

I have to admit - I never even tried playing the PC one on a mouse and I'm a die hard KB/M fan.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 13:52   #469
basegreen
neergesab

They're doing well. Just opening a brand new HQ in Cambridge. It's huge!

I also met David Braben's wife last week, randomly.

Last edited by basegreen; 06-03-2018 at 18:45.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 15:55   #470
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Flight sticks aren't that much if you don't need top of the line and force feedback.

You could probably get a Thrustmaster compatible with both (XBone OR PS) AND PC for < £50. And they're excellent (and occasionally featured in the bargain forum)

I have to admit - I never even tried playing the PC one on a mouse and I'm a die hard KB/M fan.
I'll have a look and see. To be honest it's working really well with he pad so i'm ok at the moment.
Old 06-03-2018, 18:15   #471
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

I played the preview version for a bit so just decided to install the base game again. Surprised me when achievements started popping up.

I was hoping they would let you change the HUD colours because the default colour is difficult for me to see. Sadly though, it seems when it comes to buying new space ships you can have any HUD colour you want as long as it’s orange.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 13:31   #472
JohnMac

I’m really trying to get my head around using the galactic map effectively in Elite Dangerous, it is very daunting at first with all the filters. I don’t remember Frontier: Elite II or First Encounters being this inaccessible. I’ve bookmarked Sol (the centre of the Federation) where we obviously all currently live but you need a permit in this game just to visit the system which is disappointing. I’ve also bookmarked the centre of the Empire (Achenar), the Alliance (Alioth) and the Galactice Cooperative {Lave).

I used to have a big fold out map that came with Elite II. I highly recommend having a look at this map which you can see Here. It has x,y coordinates along the edges of the map with Sol at (0,0), Achenar (1,-4), Alioth (0,4) right at the top edge of the map and Lave (-3,-6). Maybe this map helped familiarise myself with the local stars in Elite II. It is so easy to get lost in the galactic map of Elite Dangerous and wish I could just lock the rotation of the map to make things a bit more user friendly.

Last edited by JohnMac; 09-03-2018 at 13:40.
Old 09-03-2018, 14:28   #473
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Iím really trying to get my head around using the galactic map effectively in Elite Dangerous, it is very daunting at first with all the filters. I donít remember Frontier: Elite II or First Encounters being this inaccessible. Iíve bookmarked Sol (the centre of the Federation) where we obviously all currently live but you need a permit in this game just to visit the system which is disappointing. Iíve also bookmarked the centre of the Empire (Achenar), the Alliance (Alioth) and the Galactice Cooperative {Lave).

I used to have a big fold out map that came with Elite II. I highly recommend having a look at this map which you can see Here. It has x,y coordinates along the edges of the map with Sol at (0,0), Achenar (1,-4), Alioth (0,4) right at the top edge of the map and Lave (-3,-6). Maybe this map helped familiarise myself with the local stars in Elite II. It is so easy to get lost in the galactic map of Elite Dangerous and wish I could just lock the rotation of the map to make things a bit more user friendly.
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations you could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 15:09   #474
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations you could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
Wrong galaxy, I believe that one is far, far away.

I did try to see if the Elite II and Elite Dangerous maps were the same and can you match up the relative positions of Sol, Achenar, Alioth and Lave but it was problematic because it is of course in 3D space

If you line up Alioth, Sol and Achenar the way it is on the linked to map then Lave seems way off on the other side and there is a big difference in height above the galactic plane as well. I always assumed that the top of the linked to map pointed towards the edge of the galaxy while the button pointed towards the galactic centre, but in Elite Dangerous that map configuration would have to be turned 90 degrees as if you are travelling along one of the outer spiral arms of the galaxy. You would also have to turn the galactic map upside down from the default to make Lave fit.
Old 10-03-2018, 20:49   #475
JohnMac

I've uploaded a video of Elite Dangerous to the feed - always like to put a bit of work into vids before uploading them so I hope you like it Not sure if people watch a lot of friends' videos over Xbox Live but I tend to for games I don't have so I can check them out. Rarely see anything other than the standard 30 second capture footage though.
Old 12-03-2018, 13:11   #476
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
I've uploaded a video of Elite Dangerous to the feed - always like to put a bit of work into vids before uploading them so I hope you like it Not sure if people watch a lot of friends' videos over Xbox Live but I tend to for games I don't have so I can check them out. Rarely see anything other than the standard 30 second capture footage though.
I'll have a watch later
Old 12-03-2018, 20:37   #477
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
I'll have a watch later
Thanks, I've just uploaded another video, now that I've spent quite a bit of money upgrading my Cobra MkIII. It is sort a montage depicting the day in the life of an Elite Dangerous commander. It would give a fair impression of the game's exploration and bounty hunting. The only disappointing part is that the clips I used had a good frame rate until Upload Studio got its virtual hands on them.
Old 13-03-2018, 08:27   #478
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,220 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Anyone still playing this? I picked it up for 20 quid on the Xbone for the full lot and have to say it is FAR better on the console than PC. I think this is mainly due to the quite brilliant job of mapping the controls to the pad versus the god awful keyboard and mouse controls on the PC. I believe it is much better with a flight stick but I was loathe to fork out a crap load for that.

I'm wandering round the galaxy with a mate just picking up 100k trade missions in our viper iv's. Will look to trade up soon but really enjoying it. If anyone has it on the xbone and fancies exploring some time let me know
I'm still playing on PC - although haven't picked it up in a few weeks.
Old 14-03-2018, 11:58   #479
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
Thanks, I've just uploaded another video, now that I've spent quite a bit of money upgrading my Cobra MkIII. It is sort a montage depicting the day in the life of an Elite Dangerous commander. It would give a fair impression of the game's exploration and bounty hunting. The only disappointing part is that the clips I used had a good frame rate until Upload Studio got its virtual hands on them.
I must be looking in the wrong place but i couldn't find your vid. Granted i didn't have much time to look but it didnt jump out at me. Will have a look again tonight
Old 14-03-2018, 17:13   #480
JohnMac

Quote:
I must be looking in the wrong place but i couldn't find your vid. Granted i didn't have much time to look but it didnt jump out at me. Will have a look again tonight
I tend to use the Xbox app on my iPad for viewing the feed; click on somebodyís name and then the capture tab shows all their videos. I currently only have 10 videos uploaded, I delete them after a while but I always try to think is this something other people would like to see before uploading and I usually edit clips together.

I had a couple of run-ins with the Thargoids last night. I didnít shoot them but did do a full scan with my kill warrant scanner, even though it didnít work. Uploaded a cut down version of the encounters, didnít want to risk getting destroyed on the second one because I had 1.5 million exploration data to cash in.