Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 24-02-2018, 13:14   #1881
fivebyfive
Trusted User

Dredd sequel would be great, unless they get adam sandler to star and direct

Dredd sequel would of been a better use of money that Bright or cloverfield 3. Mentioned before how the tv series tend to be great but the films are "dumped on netflix"
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:37   #1882
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Mentioned before how the tv series tend to be great but the films are "dumped on netflix"
Except that's not really the case at all, it's just an easy narrative that's built up because of some perceived high profile flops.

Here's a list of Netflix originals (or buy-ins like Cloverfield Paradox) that are mostly all small films that went under the radar yet are actually all very good:

Okja
I Don't Feel at Home in this world anymore
The Meyerowitz Stories
Beasts of No Nation
Tallulah
First They Killed My Father
13th
Mudbound
Tramps

I'd also list War Machine, Death Note, 6 Days, Sand Castle as decent originals as well.

There's definitely some dross on there as well. But that's the same as the lower end of Amazon's Prime catalogue.

Film critics obviously don't like things that make them irrelevant, like blockbusters that are guaranteed hits regardless of reviews (see Transformers) or films that aren't shown to press. They pounce on poor stuff in those instances. Netflix originals are probably a bigger threat than either of those, at least for those films people have to leave the house to go and see them. For Netflix originals people don't even need to leave the couch to give something a go!

I'm not suggesting like some crazy right-winger there's some vast conspiracy at play. I just think it's fair to say there's good reason for critics to not like the Netflix model as much as studio's don't like it.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:51   #1883
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
As netflix is paid for service, people are voicing their opinion on wasting money on these films that the studios don't want

Film studio: what a trash fire of film...
Netflix: we will buy it, here is $50 million

paramount (iirc) must be laughing their arses then managed to break even or make a tiny profit from that cloverfield 3 film
Mute wasn't ever a studio film it was always a Netflix original.

The next paramount film being dumped on to Netflix is getting rave reviews. The reason these films are being given to Netflix is more studio politics than anything go do with quality. (new studio head.)

Mute is a deeply flawed film but it has some interesting ideas. The one star reviews do seem to be more of an attack on Netflix than the quality of the film.

Back in the old days mute would be called a cult film and would have found a life on rental.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 16:59   #1884
fivebyfive
Trusted User

I was not even taking about Mute, but heard its not very good. heard Annihilation is suppose to be decent. Not saying all their originals/purchased things are bad, if they have "miss-fire" with smaller budget film then it does not matter but stuff like Bright and clovefield are bigger budget bad films then thats a problem

I really don't think there is conspiracy! with film critics at play here, people still watch/listen to their favourite critic like eg red letter media.

Might still watch Mute but from what I've read its not great, some good ideas. but a mess. Shame as the trailer looks like decent production budget. If they are not serious about originals/purchased then do sharknado 6
Old 24-02-2018, 17:23   #1885
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
I was not even taking about Mute, but heard its not very good. heard Annihilation is suppose to be decent. Not saying all their originals/purchased things are bad, if they have "miss-fire" with smaller budget film then it does not matter but stuff like Bright and clovefield are bigger budget bad films then thats a problem
But I enjoyed both Bright and Cloverfield. I don't classify then as bad films.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 21:43   #1886
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Just finished watching Mute and thought it was great. Beautiful, funny, and moving. The score was fantastic as was Paul Rudd and Alexander Skarsgård. The only negatives I had were some of the effects shots were ropey which I guess was due to budget issues. Don't really understand all the negative reviews. I think even if it's not your cup of tea you can't call it a bad film.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 23:32   #1887
New-Boy
Trusted User

So glad I didn't read any reviews of Mute, although I know they haven't been favourable. After watching it I can see why, it doesn't fit the norm (whatever that may be these days).
It's a great movie with some fantastic standout moments and characters. Paul Rudd is definitely at his best (finally come of age since Ant-Man), the relationship between Cactus and Duck is one of the best parts of the film.

Anyway the majority of reviewers know nothing
Alien
Blade Runner
Se7en
The Thing
Even Spartacus and Gone with the Wind were panned by critics back in the day.

And it was good to see Sam Bell again
New-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
KeyserSoze (25-02-2018)
Old 25-02-2018, 18:32   #1888
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

10 Cloverfield Lane has been added to Netflix which means the entire trilogy is on there. I needed to watch this before the new one. Good for me
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
Brian_JD (25-02-2018), captaineyecatch (26-02-2018)
Old 25-02-2018, 20:18   #1889
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
10 Cloverfield Lane has been added to Netflix which means the entire trilogy is on there. I needed to watch this before the new one. Good for me
Excellent film with a dreadful ending.
Old 25-02-2018, 21:02   #1890
cjx
PSN = bladecjx

Thought the last cloverfield was really poor after enjoying the first two.
cjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 22:19   #1891
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Well Mute is another Netflix failure for me I'm sorry to say. I really hope we get a proper Moon sequel though.

Don't see why Mute had to be set in the future. We have mention of a war but no details, US troops going AWOL but no reason given. No mention of who they are fighting; and why we are in Berlin anyway.

Forgoing the use of a mobile phone and the fancy prosthetics angle, this movie could have been set in post WW II Berlin. just after the wall went up and you would have lost very little.

Didn't like it and Paul Rudd's character what an A-Hole you find out something like that about your friend then get some good news and all is forgotten nah that was OTT.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 22:29   #1892
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Well Mute is another Netflix failure for me I'm sorry to say. I really hope we get a proper Moon sequel though.

Don't see why Mute had to be set in the future. We have mention of a war but no details, US troops going AWOL but no reason given. No mention of who they are fighting; and why we are in Berlin anyway.

Forgoing the use of a mobile phone and the fancy prosthetics angle, this movie could have been set in post WW II Berlin. just after the wall went up and you would have lost very little.

Didn't like it and Paul Rudd's character what an A-Hole you find out something like that about your friend then get some good news and all is forgotten nah that was OTT.
Originally I believe it was written as a London gangster film. Watching it knowing that already put it in quite a different light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 25-02-2018, 22:36   #1893
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Originally I believe it was written as a London gangster film. Watching it knowing that already put it in quite a different light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Better or Worse?

If what you say is correct then tacking on the Moon stuff seems even more like a gimmick.
Old 26-02-2018, 16:53   #1894
fivebyfive
Trusted User

Watched Mute and also thought the future setting was badly used, interesting it was going to be london gangster. Also the writing was poor, Paul rudd was paul rudd but more of a prick version on normal character (probably why his name was cactus) The creepy paedo story was shoe horned in and he just forgives him and forgets about it. Moon is a great film and this is like someone throw a typewriter down the stairs.

Alexander Skarsgård was good, the visual were decent for a non-big budget film
Old 26-02-2018, 17:44   #1895
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Watched Mute and also thought the future setting was badly used, interesting it was going to be london gangster. Also the writing was poor, Paul rudd was paul rudd but more of a prick version on normal character (probably why his name was cactus) The creepy paedo story was shoe horned in and he just forgives him and forgets about it. Moon is a great film and this is like someone throw a typewriter down the stairs.

Alexander Skarsgård was good, the visual were decent for a non-big budget film
If you are going for a Blade Runner style universe you better have the budget or skill to pull it off. For me this movie had neither a few neon store fronts and things flying around does not a Blade Runner like movie make.

Soon as Noel Clarke turned up I should have switched off, he really is a sign of a crap movie. How he gets all the work is beyond me.
Old 28-02-2018, 11:29   #1896
orac
information is restricted

Mute was very disappointing, poor script, story and acting. Jones doesn’t seem to be taking criticism too well by endlessly retweeting people who like the film (yes some do) and calling negative comments “hurtful”.

I agree with the post above about Noel Clarke, that should of given me warning signs!

I loved Moon, although currently for me I have some issues – I suppose it could be revoiced?

Also no way can other exclusive Netflix films be tarred with the same brush – after Mute I watched The Meyerowitz Stories and that was excellent.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 13:28   #1897
fivebyfive
Trusted User

If you missed it izombie s4 started on Monday

Santa clarita diet season 2 - 23 March

Jessica Jones s2 - 8th March
Thanked 3 times by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (28-02-2018), Ste7en (01-03-2018), zantarous (28-02-2018)
Old 28-02-2018, 21:46   #1898
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

Just watched “Veronica” on Netflix, Spanish film by Paco Plaza (the guy behind Rec and Rec2). Excellent film about what happens after a girl and her mates messed around with a Ouija board. I’ll nit go into details but it was a really effective film and well worth a watch.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:45   #1899
douglasb
Suedehead.

Sky has hooked up with Netflix. Sounds like you will be able to access all Netflix's content via your box (for an additional fee).
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03   #1900
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
Sky has hooked up with Netflix. Sounds like you will be able to access all Netflix's content via your box (for an additional fee).
I already pay for Sky and for Netflix, i won't be paying either anything further!