Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 20:14   #321
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH View Post
DS9 with their genetically engineered viruses to wipeout the shapeshifters
To be fair that was Section 31

Now Starfleet installs a dictator and gives them a weapon of mass destruction cannot see how that was better than wiping them out as per the original plan.

The new look Constitution Class was nice; but I had hoped that the distress call was coming from NX-01
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 21:15   #322
Taq
Evil Scientist

Well, at least they didn't go back in time to stop it...
Old 12-02-2018, 21:24   #323
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Well after watching the whole season I still think that this is a separate timeline from TOS.

IMHO...

TOS -> TOS Movies ->TNG -: TNG Movies -> DS9/VOY

ENT -> Discovery -> New stuff

Therefore were are not bound by why Kirk's ship looks different and why Klingons have no hair and talk really slow.
Old 12-02-2018, 21:27   #324
Taq
Evil Scientist

It did all seem to get resolved very suddenly, though, I thought.
Old 12-02-2018, 21:37   #325
new
Sand Dab

It just feels like they set up something big, then realise that there's only 10mins left so come up with anything to tie it up.
Still at least it wasn't "spore" based!!!

On the hole I don't think it's been a great series, but has just done enough to keep me tuning in.

Actually liked the last few mins, especially the end tittle music

Last edited by new; 13-02-2018 at 06:17.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 22:05   #326
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Well, at least they didn't go back in time to stop it...
Think I would have preferred that, I mean you had what's her name wave a mystical device to a bunch of Klingons and bam it's all over.

Did for a moment think that the explosion would cause a mutation in Klingons to bring them into line with what they look like in he other shows.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 22:09   #327
Taq
Evil Scientist

"Everyone do as I say, or I'll blow up your planet!! Oh, and my planet as well. Hmm, should have thought about that one a bit longer, really"
Old 13-02-2018, 07:08   #328
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Well after watching the whole season I still think that this is a separate timeline from TOS.

IMHO...

TOS -> TOS Movies ->TNG -: TNG Movies -> DS9/VOY

ENT -> Discovery -> New stuff

Therefore were are not bound by why Kirk's ship looks different and why Klingons have no hair and talk really slow.
It is not Kirk's ship - yet - and based on the look Sarek gave Burnham it is clearly the same timeline as they know Spock is on it.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:22   #329
mikef
Trusted User

I felt it kind of petered out after all the big drama...wasn't too sure about the end but the final shot made me smile....
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:41   #330
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
"Everyone do as I say, or I'll blow up your planet!!
Loved it all except the bit above which was bad writing compared to the rest.

Was that the end of the current series?
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:02   #331
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Oh dear! What a terrible resolution to the Klingon War storyline. I'd rather they'd have gone with the clichéd "go-back-in-time-and-fix-things" story instead.

However, the final 30 second reveal & end-music gave me a proper Trek Buzz & achieved its goal of making me thirst for the 2nd season ASAP!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:06   #332
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

I doubt that the plan is going to work. Season 2 could still do a time travel and fix everything that happened in season 1.

I don't see us seeing the TOS Constitution as we remember it; it would be too jarring. Currently it does look like a mashup of NX-01 and Constitution parts but a bit sleeker. and of course a different paint job.

Perhaps its Lt Tyler causes the Klingons to change appearance perhaps his change causes another virus. Off all the changes they made; the Klingon design change was the worst and I don't buy it at all that there are an ancient type of Klingon
Old 13-02-2018, 12:30   #333
Taq
Evil Scientist

Despite telling the empress to stay out of trouble, they basically just left her alone on the Klingon home world with no money or means to make a living. Just a gun...

Tilly was good in the episode!
Old 13-02-2018, 13:19   #334
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
. At least it didn't end with Riker on the Holodeck during the speech
I couldn't take any of that bit seriously. I kept expecting the camera to pull back to see Riker watching down on it all.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 13:50   #335
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

My thoughts on the whole season now that it's finished... SPOILERS, obviously.

Star Trek has been desperately in need of a fresh new angle for a long time. The JJ Abrams films attempted that and while they mostly got by on the charms of the actors, they mostly missed what Star Trek is at its core.

I was excited about Discovery from the start. We've been given a serialised show with a more adult centre which was exactly what I was after (and the reason that DS9 remains the best the franchise has ever done). Now that the season is finished, I can look back and see that while it took some odd turns, lacked any coherent message and had some strange choices along the way, the show has kept me gripped and excited from start to finish.

On the good side, the show is a visual treat and has to rank among the best looking television shows ever. It's clear that, unlike so much Trek of the past, money was available. The action sequences, of which there are many (and there always have been in this franchise, with the Original Series really laying the foundation for that) are creative and exciting.

I also have grown to really like the characters, especially Stamets, Tilly and Saru. Indeed, they managed to consistently outshine the lead character of Michael Burnham who at this point I actually think is the weakest link. That's not at all the fault of Sonequa Martin who does a fantastic job in the role, but more the agonisingly poor dialgoue and storyline her character is lumped with. Especially in regards to her romance with Ash Tyler, a pairing which lacked chemistry from the start and is derailed no end by Tyler himself being so thoroughly uninteresting.

I was pleasantly surprised by the twists along the way (a shame that so many people on line guessed them beforehand, I would have loved to have not seen them coming), and the excursion to the Mirror Universe was the highlight of the season. This managed to also show us how important Jason Isaacs was to the cast, and his absence is now sorely felt.

If anything, I think the season has suffered from too much focus on Burnham at the expense of the rest of the crew. Discovery never feels like a cohesive unit of characters, more like the Michael Burnham show. Nobody has a personal journey outside of her. I think it's completely possible to tell a fully serialised story but still allow for other characters to get narrative arcs dedicated entirely to them. I feel like I barely know anything about them - who is that robot lady on the bridge and why aren't we dedicating lots of time to her?! Another low point has been the poor depiction of the Klingons; not only because the new design looks terrible but mostly because their scenes slowed down the narrative so much.

Star Trek is about exploration and ideas and Discovery does manage to fit this in but also forgets about it in place of trying to find "cool" moments. Trek is also about people (something many fans seem to forget) and how we treat others, and Discovery maybe gets a bit too specific and melodramatic with this. But I've watched the entire season with a smile on my face and feel very eager to see more. I love the serialised storytelling, but I'd like to see things lean more towards the whole crew rather than just Burnham, allow for side stories and not be so serious all the time. The season wrapped up in an extremely convenient and honestly stupid way, so going ahead the show needs to forge a path that says what this show is actually ABOUT. It could also do with slowing down a bit and letting us take in the characters.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:07   #336
Ravioli

You are right in that there was too much focus on Burnham. We hardly know any on the bridge crew and now they are supposedly off to get a new captain, yet they have two 1st officers.
The Klingon war was a serious opportunity lost, after all the build up in the first few episodes they finished it in a few minutes and it made little sense. Why would L'Rell go along with the idea. Why not let the Kilingons destroy the federation and then unite the families
Basically they spent too much time in the mirror universe, when they could have ended the series with Discovery ending up there and concentrated on the Klingon war this series.
It's almost like missed most of the Klingon war to avoid continuity errors and then they go and end with Discovery meeting a pre-Kirk Enterprise. Talk about appealing to the fan boys. Maybe they weren't expecting a second series at that point.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:09   #337
fivebyfive
Trusted User

Hopefully they will flesh out the other characters, there is robot like lady and the woman that looks a bit like Natalie dormer

I did enjoy the first season apart from how they wrapped up the war, as mentioned it was just eye rolling. Glad it was not like Voyager or enterprise as I liked the harder edge
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:54   #338
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

For me I hope they switch back to having the Captain as the main focus; it was a nice try but MB making decision that Kirk or Picard would of had the responsibility of making seemed wrong.
Old 14-02-2018, 09:49   #339
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

The main issue for me was that they seemed to want the one story for the while season feel but then ended up sticking in individual episodes which just jarred a little too much. it should be the other way round, arc story but mostly new stories wrapped up each week.

It was certainly a lot better than i thought it would be, so i'll be in for season 2!

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff

Last edited by Jedibitch; 22-02-2018 at 17:55.
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 10:42   #340
mjb1975
Blandiblub

I rather enjoyed it without being really really invested in it. Tbh, I've read the last couple of pages of this thread and am struggling to recall some of the events mentioned!

I didn't really like the mirror universe stuff. It was ok but I was kinda glad when they came back.

One event that I think has been glossed over is the death of the doctor - Stamets' partner. Killed by Tyler, with a mild confrontation between the two and no real mention of him much after that. He wasn't like the anonymous crew on the bridge who we see very little of, he was more than that, but clearly not quite a full member of the crew given he was clearly disposable two-thirds of the way through the season. Odd. It made me think he'll come back in some manner - a mirror version, or some weird storyline to fit it in - but nothing up to the end of S1.

I'll still be watching in S2 but it's not something that I devote a lot of attention, thought and time for. Something in the like of Designated Survivor or something - I watch it, but I'm not too bothered about what happens in it. A bit of fluff to pass the time at the end of the day.