Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 14:24   #101
allan
Trusted User

I don't care, I can make up my own mind. Just thought it was interesting, nothing else.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 14:27   #102
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I don't care, I can make up my own mind. Just thought it was interesting, nothing else.
It's not remotely interesting. I hope that helps.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 14:28   #103
allan
Trusted User

To you maybe, others might find it interesting
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 14:30   #104
MaxNutter

TLJ is 7.5/10 on imdb, with FA at 8/10 and RO at 7.8, so it's not too bad.

I trust imdb more than Rotten Tomatos
Old 12-01-2018, 14:57   #105
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Any source where people are not reviewing films with an agenda, TLJ has perfectly respectable aggregate scores despite the film being more divisive than previous entries. Some groups have even admitted to review "bombing" TLJ on rotten tomatoes as revenge for the low score that Justice League got. Plus a lot of the bad reviews on rotten tomatoes for TLJ follow a similar pattern to this:
Quote:
If you like stunning visuals, superficial character development, a choppy, incoherent, illogical plot, plot holes, SJW concepts such as capitalism is bad, animal abuse is bad, "make love not war", every bad guy being a white male, and neutering every positive protagonist male in this movie, or you are only a casual fan of Star Wars, you'll probably like this movie.
Old 12-01-2018, 15:04   #106
MaxNutter

as 'revenge' because Disney now own Marvel and Lucasfilm?
Old 12-01-2018, 15:56   #107
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
as 'revenge' because Disney now own Marvel and Lucasfilm?
Yes from what I've read, some pro DC fanboys are livid about the low scores that the DC films have got compared to Marvel films and are convinced that Disney pay off the critics. So as Star Wars, like Marvel, is now a Disney property it has got the brunt of their ire. Of course now you have add on top the #NotMyLuke lot. For some, not liking a film is not enough these days, they have to try and destroy it.
Old 12-01-2018, 17:03   #108
alsemail
Bibble....

Some people really should devote their time to better things.

Sign my global petition to bring back S-Club 7 here
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 18:22   #109
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
I agree with your post in that some people seem to be willing Star Wars to fail. Very odd. However, saying TLJ was below expectations as if it is a fact is not right at all. As with any film, opinions will vary greatly but the vast majority of the people I know either liked or loved it and apparently the audience appreciation index for the US is high especially with the target audiences. Of course there are some well measured negative responses to the film, such as on this forum, but most of the extreme backlash online can be taken with a pinch of salt. Much of it I think can attributed to bots as I often see the same overlong rants about the film in comments to articles that aren't specifically related to TLJ.
Good post Hood. The problem with the Star Wars saga is that it all started over 40 years ago back in 1977 and even then not in chronological order of the storyline. Fitting in the prequels and spinoffs based on released times etc, the target audience is likely to be very varied over the decades. I was 22 when the original movie came out and am 62 now and I am sure there are many other Star Wars fans in similar as well as very different age groups. All that is going to reflect on expectations, comments and opinions.

But IMO the bottom line is that almost all of us positing in this thread will get to see S:ASWS at the cinema irrespective of doubts, expectations and criticisms. For ours sakes I hope that it is a good film or better. I have a feeling that it will me in the Rogue One category and not disappoint like TLJ.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Hood (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 19:42   #110
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
unsurprisingly it isn't going to be fantastic.
Quote:
We haven't even seen a trailer yet
Indeed
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 20:07   #111
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Perhaps moving away from the Skywalkers is a good thing. Not that I like how they are doing it.

However not having another Trilogy would be my first step, no more movies held together by a few poorly connected threads. Self contained stories that are done when the movie ends and no mystery box rubbish is the way I would go from at least a time.

Someone out there must be able to write a good crime/heist movie or horror; or remake an existing movie into the Star Wars universe for example the Defiant Ones two mismatched prisoners escape from an Imperial prison pursued by Bounty Hunters etc could be interesting.

Solo could be good, they have thrown plenty of money at it and Ron Howard isn't too bad a director. Although i would have loved for him to have made a Star Wars based thriller like Ransom.

After watching Baby Driver that could have easily been a young Solo adventure. Shame Baby didn't get the part.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 21:08   #112
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Indeed
I meant in the sense that we're four months and six days away from release date and we've heard nothing.

Maybe it's so brilliant they're not going to release a trailer just to give lesser films a chance
rbullivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:39   #113
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Perhaps moving away from the Skywalkers is a good thing. Not that I like how they are doing it.
I don't think so. Even though it was the 4th part of the story chronologically, TNH sort of established Luke Skywalker as the central character of the whole saga and because of the order in which the movies were released, we viewers always knew that he would be coming while watching the prequels. I wish that he had remained till the end of the story....maybe he will. They could always change the meaning of that scene in TLJ......in fact with Carrie Fisher gone they probably will seriously consider that.

In any case, S:ASWS is not supposed to have any of the Skywalkers in it, except perhaps passing mention of (by then famous) Anakin Skywalker by Han Solo or Lando Calrissian. Towards the end of the film, Han might mention Luke to Chewy as they walked towards the Mos Eisley Cantina; in his 'profession' (and knowing that he was being stalked by bounty hunters), Han probably scanned the ground before every step and knew who was waiting for him.

Last edited by Raigmore; 13-01-2018 at 13:28.
Old 16-01-2018, 20:54   #114
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

An official synopsis has been posted that reveals nothing we didn't already know. Maybe a poster and trailer will be following soon?

Quote:
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a seres of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

“Solo: A Star Wars Story’ releases in U.S. theaters on May 25, 2018.
I didn't realise that StarWars.com also has a page containing all of Ron Howard's tweets and Instagram posts relating to Han Solo.
Thanked once by:
Out for Justice (17-01-2018)
Old 17-01-2018, 00:05   #115
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzz View Post
Remember, a parsec is a unit of distance, not time.
I know that now. I think the way they are going to make it is that all concerned know that the most direct route to do the Kessel Run is the 12-parsec one but it is too dangerous (hostile planets, space debris, space pirates etc) to try. Solo & Chewey pull it off in the Falcon which is faster and tougher than any opposition but it is more about how it overcomes the obstacles than a race against anything including time. Should be a thrilling ride.

PS: You can bet that soon afterwards there will be a new simulated ride at WDW called "Kessel Run"
Old 17-01-2018, 07:49   #116
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

What difference would that make to a smuggler? Saved a little fuel? Safe and quiet would seem to be the way forward.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:29   #117
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
What difference would that make to a smuggler?
It would, if the smuggler was Han Solo. Doing the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs was probably part of the wager, con or whatever that Solo pulled off to take control of the Millennium Falcon.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:48   #118
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
I know that now. I think the way they are going to make it is that all concerned know that the most direct route to do the Kessel Run is the 12-parsec one but it is too dangerous (hostile planets, space debris, space pirates etc) to try. Solo & Chewey pull it off in the Falcon which is faster and tougher than any opposition but it is more about how it overcomes the obstacles than a race against anything including time. Should be a thrilling ride.

PS: You can bet that soon afterwards there will be a new simulated ride at WDW called "Kessel Run"
That is close to the "official" explanation for the use of parsecs given by Lucas, apparently when navigating at lightspeed you need to give planets etc. a suitably wide berth, by taking bigger risks and flying closer to any potential hazards you can shorten the route and therefore do it quicker.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 10:34   #119
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

The explanation given in the Expanded Universe novels was that the region of space around Kessel was scattered with black holes, and taking a direct route through them was insanely dangerous. There were pre-established safe routes which most ships took.

A lot of EU material is being salvaged and re-purposed in various places.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 10:48   #120
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

It's still not sounding like a great movie, the explanations are pretty lame, they'd be better to redub the original and remove the error (which lets be honest, is what it is)