Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 13:04   #141
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Got an S3 on the way, glad to hear a good review.

As per the above quote always used surge protection until I installed a powerline adaptor to get my internet into multiple rooms and read they don't like surge protectors. Bit annoying! From what I've read now though wonder if it might just be on the bit where you plug the powerline adaptor in, and ok to have surge protection elsewhere (although of course the places where it is plugged in is where all of my electrics are, but low voltage, telly, pc etc)
Showed the S3 to my housemate yesterday who's kids its for and just when I took the lid off the box she was like. That's Nice.. Was impressed with the performance as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if she wants one now to replace her S5 when it goes..

Last edited by Q; 07-11-2017 at 13:22.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 14:30   #142
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,431 Times in 433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Posted on the previous page.

Upgrading 'er in doors Windows phone to one of these.

Hasn't arrived yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Nice one. Hadn't seen that.

Perhaps I should have gone for quicker shipping at that price.
Mine arrived yesterday.

Have to say Im very impressed with it so far, especially thr huge battery. Unplugged at 6am this morning and at 2pm was still at 90%. Only light use though today. Around 30mins of internet browsing. Still impressive though.

The camera takes really nice quality pics, as well as the 4k video too. And I haven't tried the HDR mode yet.

The double SIM slot is really handy if you want to quickly switch between your contract and PAYG SIMs and you can also set which one gets used for data and which for calls/texts. Very nice.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:07   #143
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Thanks Bear. That's great to hear.

My order still hasn't turned up.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 21:24   #144
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

From 11am tomorrow (8th November) Xiaomi will be selling their some of their phones (Spain only at the moment) on their official website and, more importantly, amazon.es.

Prices seem reasonable enough too considering there should be no more worries about import duty and warranties:

Mi Mix 2: € 499
Mi 6 € 449
Mi A1 € 229
Mi Max 2 € 279
Redmi Note 4 € 169
Redmi 4A € 99

They also will be selling Mi Bands, boxes, bluetooth speakers etc
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:35   #145
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Alas mine is coming from china, fingers crossed i dont have to pay an import bill
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55   #146
Q

Quote:
Alas mine is coming from china, fingers crossed i dont have to pay an import bill
So long as you didnt use DHL then you should be ok. Ive had multiple phones from GB and never got stopped.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:43   #147
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Anyone else had a screen problem with their Redmi Note 4 (or any other phone for that matter), in that it comes 'on' (ie: backlit) but you can't see anything, it's kinda 'dark grey'?

Mine's been getting progressively worse recently - to the point of now not working much today at all.

It's the 4GB/64GB global model. It started doing this a few weeks ago. I was using it like normal and the screen just went 'off' (not 'off', just black). It would come back normally by unlocking/power button. But now it's more 'off' than on normally.

Sometimes, I could get it back to life with a bit of a 'squeeze' or twist - so maybe a loose connection or something.

A couple of days ago I went for broke and took it apart. Once I reassembled, it was miraculously fine! For about 12 hours. Same problem since and probably worse.

I might have to bite the bullet and just buy another one. Picked up a cheap Moto C from Argos this morning to cover me (which isn't as bad I thought it would be!).

Had my Redmi since June. I'm assuming there's not a lot of point in chasing the seller (via Ali Express) and I'm just a bit unlucky. It has been dropped here and there but no worse than any other phone and there's no obvious external damage.

The other option I have is to buy a replacement screen & frame (I've seen how much work is needed to get to the actual screen!) from Ali Express and transfer the innards across but it's quite a minefield.
Old 09-11-2017, 15:48   #148
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,431 Times in 433 Posts
Quote:
Mine arrived yesterday.

Have to say Im very impressed with it so far, especially thr huge battery. Unplugged at 6am this morning and at 2pm was still at 90%. Only light use though today. Around 30mins of internet browsing. Still impressive though.

The camera takes really nice quality pics, as well as the 4k video too. And I haven't tried the HDR mode yet.

The double SIM slot is really handy if you want to quickly switch between your contract and PAYG SIMs and you can also set which one gets used for data and which for calls/texts. Very nice.
Well, two and a half days after charging it to 100%, I still haven't had to put it on charge yet, and it's still on 27%!!

So thats 75% gone in 2.5 days. Three days on a single charge is easily possible with medium usage. Heavy usage "just" two days or more. Still bloody impressive!

Here's my battery usage for the 60 hours:

Last edited by The Bear; 09-11-2017 at 15:51.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 17:34   #149
Jim989
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975 View Post
Anyone else had a screen problem with their Redmi Note 4 (or any other phone for that matter), in that it comes 'on' (ie: backlit) but you can't see anything.
Sounds like your light sensor is bust. I think there's an option to turn off the automatic dimming? Not the normal automatic dimming but the automatic one based on time? Look into Settings -> display -> read mode
Jim989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:07   #150
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Ta. If I can get the screen on even briefly, I'll try that.

I did find try things with the auto brightness and the proximity sensor to no avail. It's dead at the moment but will charge it later and try again. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:03   #151
Out for Justice

Quote:
Well, two and a half days after charging it to 100%, I still haven't had to put it on charge yet, and it's still on 27%!!

So thats 75% gone in 2.5 days. Three days on a single charge is easily possible with medium usage. Heavy usage "just" two days or more. Still bloody impressive!

Here's my battery usage for the 60 hours:

Looks like my OH's phone only dispatched a few days ago after ordering it on the 22nd from gearbest. Maybe they had a stock problem?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:00   #152
Q

Granted a UK phone but I got 21 days out of a Moto E without charging.. The only thing I used was the Alarm. Data and WiFi Turned off. After 21 days it was still on 3%.
Old 11-11-2017, 15:43   #153
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim989 View Post
Sounds like your light sensor is bust. I think there's an option to turn off the automatic dimming? Not the normal automatic dimming but the automatic one based on time? Look into Settings -> display -> read mode
Unfortunately, no improvement. Bearing in mind I have installed Lineage OS on it so the settings might be different, I managed to get a little bit of screen on time yesterday and turned off any adaptive brightness or other types of things like that but the screen still went blank a few seconds later.

Weirdly, if I put it face down on a flat surface and press gently, it tends to come back to life but only for a very short period.

I'd already queried it with the seller via Ali Express and, despite my cynicism of getting any sort of reply, the seller has asked me to send a video of the symptom via email (which I've done) so I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Not very positive of a further response, but we'll see.

Such a shame cos the Redmi Note 4 with Lineage OS is AMAZING!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37   #154
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975 View Post
Unfortunately, no improvement. Bearing in mind I have installed Lineage OS on it so the settings might be different, I managed to get a little bit of screen on time yesterday and turned off any adaptive brightness or other types of things like that but the screen still went blank a few seconds later.

Weirdly, if I put it face down on a flat surface and press gently, it tends to come back to life but only for a very short period.

I'd already queried it with the seller via Ali Express and, despite my cynicism of getting any sort of reply, the seller has asked me to send a video of the symptom via email (which I've done) so I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Not very positive of a further response, but we'll see.

Such a shame cos the Redmi Note 4 with Lineage OS is AMAZING!
Have you asked on XDA or where you got the Rom from? Maybe its an issue with the Rom?
Old 12-11-2017, 15:40   #155
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Well, possibly but I installed the 'proper' Lineage OS as soon as I got it in June. It only started doing this in the last couple of weeks.

At first, I thought it might be a software issue but there are weekly updates and there's been no change after at least a couple of those.
Old 16-11-2017, 08:01   #156
Out for Justice

Quote:
Looks like my OH's phone only dispatched a few days ago after ordering it on the 22nd from gearbest. Maybe they had a stock problem?
Looks like it's turned up this morning.

Won't have a chance to play with it until next week though.

So it took roughly 25 days from ordering via British Expedited - no customs.

Last edited by Out for Justice; 16-11-2017 at 11:18.
Old 16-11-2017, 11:34   #157
Q

Quote:
Looks like it's turned up this morning.

Won't have a chance to play with it until next week though.

So it took roughly 25 days from ordering via British Expedited - no customs.
Mine was 25 as well. As its a different company that does the UK side now other than One World Express then thats why it might take longer..
Old 16-11-2017, 12:15   #158
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Only just got an email from alixpress saying it shipped yesterday whereas I assumed it had when I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, not gonig to be here until xmas at this rate.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 11:08   #159
arma_uk
Trusted User

Quote:
Only just got an email from alixpress saying it shipped yesterday whereas I assumed it had when I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, not gonig to be here until xmas at this rate.
ali can be a nightmare. it seems people/companies sell stuff on there that they don't actually have on hand.

i ordered some drone motors a while back, and i wanted a particular colour. 5 days went by with no despatch so i raised a query. as if by magic they were instantly despatched. then the seller emailed me a couple of days later to say they didn't have the colour i wanted, and would i like an alternative? i said no, just refund, but because they had marked the item as despatched, i had to wait another 10 days to raise a claim. there's also no paypal protection so it's a fair bit riskier than gearbest or banggood. i only order from there now if i can't get a part elsewhere - and only low value stuff.
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 11:16   #160
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by arma_uk View Post
ali can be a nightmare. it seems people/companies sell stuff on there that they don't actually have on hand.

i ordered some drone motors a while back, and i wanted a particular colour. 5 days went by with no despatch so i raised a query. as if by magic they were instantly despatched. then the seller emailed me a couple of days later to say they didn't have the colour i wanted, and would i like an alternative? i said no, just refund, but because they had marked the item as despatched, i had to wait another 10 days to raise a claim. there's also no paypal protection so it's a fair bit riskier than gearbest or banggood. i only order from there now if i can't get a part elsewhere - and only low value stuff.
I ordered a ZTE Axon 7 from Banggood at Ł292 but paid for it by Credit Card.
Delivered within about 10 days via the UK so no Customs.

Had there been any problems then I could just contact CC company.