Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 19-09-2017, 12:42   #981
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Finished reading The Hand of Ethelberta: A Comedy in Chapters, lesser Hardy perhaps but still nicely written and entertaining.

Now onto The Punch Escrow, Tal Klein's teleportation novel. Interesting, but like a lot of this type of fiction, the prose is somewhat clunky, as are character descriptions, and it has too much demotic for my taste - although being a first person narrative that's perhaps unavoidable. He does spent 85 pages to get to where you pretty much came in, but will be interesting to see where it goes.
Old 22-09-2017, 17:37   #982
gjkendall
Gooner

Just started Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King.
Old 26-09-2017, 09:29   #983
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
This month's book is Central Station by Lavie Tidhar, it definitely sounds interesting, and a couple of people at book club have read it already and seem quite excited by it.
Disappointingly I only ended up reading the first chapter of Central Station. I enjoyed that taster, but I had too much other stuff to do and ran out of time before the book club meeting. I've put it on my "read later" list for now.

This month's book is The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley.

I didn't like it at all, the writing style wasn't great, and the science-y stuff was very poor. All in all a big disappointment.

However, I expect this will be rated pretty well by the book club since it was a book by a female author featuring just women.
Old 30-09-2017, 17:21   #984
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
Just started Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King.
Any hints if its worth getting?

Read the latest Rivers of London novella, instantly forgettable unfortunately. Shame as I was looking forward to it.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:59   #985
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Well as I've appeared to kill the thread -

Finished London Falling by Paul Cornell, which was a real grind. Not as good as the similar Rivers Of London. Debatable whether I continue reading the series.

Reading I'm Travelling Alone by Samuel Bjork which is very good, quite gripping.

Also reading Clyde Barr - Nothing Short of Dying, the latest in the ever growing easy to read jack Reacher style novels on the market.

Also bit the bullet and bought Sleeping Beauties.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:19   #986
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
This month's book is The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley.

I didn't like it at all, the writing style wasn't great, and the science-y stuff was very poor. All in all a big disappointment.

However, I expect this will be rated pretty well by the book club since it was a book by a female author featuring just women.
As expected, most of the rest of the book club thought The Stars are Legion was amazing.
I thought the idea was interesting, but the implementation was very poor. Sometimes listening to the discussion at the book club can make me think more favourably of a book, pointing out clever/interesting stuff I'd not noticed. Not this time though.

This month it is Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Miéville. I quite like short stories, and I'm enjoying these so far (about 1/3 of the way through). Nice and varied. Definitely better than last month's book!

I know quite a few of the book club members like China Miéville's work. I've not read anything by him before. This makes me want to read more of his stuff.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:27   #987
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
Any hints if its worth getting?

Read the latest Rivers of London novella, instantly forgettable unfortunately. Shame as I was looking forward to it.

I gave up on Sleeping Beauties (for now)...it was intriguing but became far too slow a build. I need to get books read and reviewed, Sleeping Beauties was becoming a chore to get through. I'll certainly come back to it but only once my 'to be read' pile has disappeared.

As a kick in Stephen & Owen Kings nuts...Im now reading Strange Weather by Joe Hill. Half way through the first story and it's so enjoyable.

I was also delighted to of received a bumper box of books from Cemetery Dance to review.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:08   #988
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I guess you don't watch the Inbetweeners?

I'm reading Jon Ronson - So you've been publically shamed, really interesting so far!
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:58   #989
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
... This month it is Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Miéville. I quite like short stories, and I'm enjoying these so far (about 1/3 of the way through). Nice and varied. Definitely better than last month's book!

I know quite a few of the book club members like China Miéville's work. I've not read anything by him before. This makes me want to read more of his stuff.
I can totally recommend Perdido Street Station - it is an amazing book, totally unforgettable. I haven't found any of his other works I've read (The Scar, Un Lun Dun - a YA book - and Iron Council) to be as good, particularly the last, which although full of good ideas was a bit of a grind.

I am currently reading Philip Glass' Words Without Music, which is very well written and a fascinating journey through 60s New York, Paris and Nepal.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:03   #990
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
I can totally recommend Perdido Street Station - it is an amazing book, totally unforgettable.
The book clubbers have recommended that too, it's on my list!
Old 20-10-2017, 14:58   #991
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I guess you don't watch the Inbetweeners?
Old 21-10-2017, 23:51   #992
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Finished all of Tim Weaver's David Raker series, fairly good, some books are much better than others. Quite annoying that he used the same kind of plot twist in two of the books, but will read the next one when it is out

Am now working through:

The Girl in the Box Series, Books 1-3: Alone, Untouched and Soulless

Quote:
Sienna Nealon was a 17 year-old girl who had been held prisoner in her own house by her mother for twelve years. Then one day her mother vanished, and Sienna woke up to find two strange men in her home. On the run, unsure of who to turn to and discovering she possesses mysterious powers, Sienna finds herself pursued by a shadowy agency known as the Directorate and hunted by a vicious, bloodthirsty psychopath named Wolfe, each of which is determined to capture her for their own purposes...
on book six now, and am thoroughly enjoying them - the first three above are currently free on Amazon

Last edited by dbilsborough; 21-10-2017 at 23:55.
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 18:36   #993
sleep4ever
Trusted User

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2017

GoodReads long lists for Books of the year 2017.

I've read....one
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17   #994
Rob
Indie Author

Looking in the Fantasy section, I've read "Kind of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03   #995
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2017

GoodReads long lists for Books of the year 2017.

I've read....one
Yeah, just the one here too (The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter).

I've only read 27 books so far this year though...
TonyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 18:33   #996
Rob
Indie Author

I've not read as much as I usually do either. It's because of the all the extra reading and editing that I'm having to do on my book before publication
Old 02-11-2017, 16:05   #997
Kate777
Banned

I'm currently re-reading one of my favourite books - "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas
Kate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:22   #998
sleep4ever
Trusted User

I dont intentionally read a book with the intention of criticising it. I always want a book to be great, or if its particularly bad to have a good ending that redeems what's gone before.

So, as I had JP Delaney's 'The Girl Before' and it was in Goodreads books of 2017 lists...

It has an intriguing premise, and starts well, and I wanted to race through it as it was well written and I genuinely didn't know where it was going. And then it turned into Fifty Shades of Grey
that seems so common nowadays.

Its well written, but almost comical in its reveals and the ending
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04   #999
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Quote:
I dont intentionally read a book with the intention of criticising it. I always want a book to be great, or if its particularly bad to have a good ending that redeems what's gone before.

So, as I had JP Delaney's 'The Girl Before' and it was in Goodreads books of 2017 lists...

It has an intriguing premise, and starts well, and I wanted to race through it as it was well written and I genuinely didn't know where it was going. And then it turned into Fifty Shades of Grey
that seems so common nowadays.

Its well written, but almost comical in its reveals and the ending
You echo exactly how I felt about it and could not have summed it up better

It seems as in men’s fiction the “jack reacher” genre has become a thing, so to has the “...... girl .....” books and the market is saturated and not in good way
DuncanSWardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 10:04   #1000
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

I'm re-reading a book (well, trilogy) that I read in my youth: Titus Groan (the first volume in Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Trilogy). It is every bit as good as I remembered it - Peake's style takes a short amount of getting used to, but when you do get into the style it carries you totally into his world. His decriptive language is amazing.

I remember being somewhat obsessed by this when I was young (and with his other famous novel, the utterly charming Mr. Pye).

I also remember once reading a part in the second novel, where he describes an immense and lengthy period of rain; I looked up after reading for about an hour and was amazed to discover it was a sunny day outside