Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 15-02-2018, 03:37   #41
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmbrose View Post
In 1998 a black actor as a 'superhero' was progressive I guess, but it's not on the same level.
There were a number of black superheroes in the 90s, they just mostly flopped in pretty forgettable films. Blade was the best and most successful and so best remembered, but Spawn was also well known and I think just about scraped a profit. The African setting is what sets this apart, but let's not completely dismiss what came before it, shall we? This film is not inventing the wheel, it's taking an old Marvel character that's had fairly inconsistent comic runs over the years and giving it the triple-A, serious action-thriller popcorner treatment like they did with Captain America Winter Soldier. The fact it happens to be an African character is just about ******* time really, but people did try and failed to get the whole "black superhero" thing going in the 90s and it just never stuck.

Today we're seeing a sort of mini african-american filmmaking movement going on with a number of very talented black writers/directors making a big mark on both arthouse and also genre filmmaking within the mainstream sphere, so Marvel really have easy access to a talent pool that can take these properties away from the sort of african-american experience and actually do something that's hopefully complex and fresh and political and exciting. However, at the same time we need to temper our excitement with the simple fact that it's just a friggin' Marvel comic-book film at the end of the day and not some monumental event in black history! Like any popcorn film it's gonna divide opinion and we shouldn't jump on commentators who don't like it or think it's nothing particularly groundbreaking (like I've seen people on social media doing) and we shouldn't be so serious and jump on guys who are just poking fun at the pretentiousness of it all (like DeadYankee so clearly was).

Last edited by Shingster; 15-02-2018 at 06:50.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:46   #42
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Blade would like a word with you.
Why's that? Has he missed entire the point of what I was saying like you have?
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:58   #43
Taq
Evil Scientist

To be honest, I only really care about if I enjoy the film or not and if it was worth the entrance fee. Hopefully, I'll find out next week...
Old 15-02-2018, 09:36   #44
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Limitless covered me, so most films are worth the entrance fee
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:14   #45
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmbrose View Post
Written by a white guy (David S Goyer)
Directed by a white dude (Stephen Norrington)
White mentor (Kris Kristofferson)
White Baddies (Stephen Dorf/Udo Keir)

In 1998 a black actor as a 'superhero' was progressive I guess, but it's not on the same level.
I'd also argue that Blade is quite anti-heroic, and the films aren't exactly fun for the whole family.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:50   #46
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Yep

R rated wasn't it?
Old 15-02-2018, 11:51   #47
allan
Trusted User

Yep, all 3 of them were.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 18:19   #48
Alisonsvilla
Trusted User

Saw this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I thought it was visually stunning.
Loved the all female army. I thought they were terrifying.
Loved the hero .
Loved the costumes and colours.

I think I could even watch it again, which is rare for me.
Alisonsvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 16:46   #49
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Well it was good IMHO but way over hyped.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 16:52   #50
avid fan
Trusted User

Just saw this myself. Entertaining enough, and thought Andy Serkis stole the show. Michael B Jordan was good, but didn't really feel too intimidating (he still only looks 14).

Some pretty clumsy writing though, especially the comedy.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 20:36   #51
Soprano
Walking the line

This must be the most over hyped film in a long time. Really didn't it at all. The character worked well in Civil War, but didn't seem to have the gravitas here. Everything was sign posted a long way off and there were no surprises.

The cast were all fine and its visually interesting. But it felt a bit like The Phantom Menace during the final battle.

I'm wondering if we'll see a critics/audience divide like we did with the Last Jedi (which I thought was bad) within the next few days.

I'd rank it along side the weaker Marvels like Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:26   #52
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

Saw it last night in a packed Showcase Cinema de Lux screen. It looked and sounded great, as you might expect, but I'd have to echo what others have said about the hype being out of all proportion to the product. It wasn't in any way a bad movie, it was even good in many ways, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Thor Ragnarok, or the the Avengers movies, or any one of the Captain America movies.

I'm also more than a bit tired of origin movies having the antagonist be an evil version of themselves, they even had them fight each other in the climax in different colour Black Panther suits.

Still. all in all, I'm glad to Have Black Panther be properly established in the MCU and look forward to seeing what part he plays going forward,
dannywonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 17:58   #53
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

I enjoyed it until the final battle between Black Panther and Killmonger. It was a terrible CGI mess, and what was with the ridiculous transparent trains?
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 19:56   #54
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Thought it was pretty average to be honest. The beginning part started to bore, and plot was rather generic. Did pick up towards the end though with some nice action sequences.

It looked nice and I liked the music, some of the characters were pretty badass but this is the usual Marvel watch-once paint-by-numbers affair.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 21:03   #55
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
and the vast majority of the cast (and I believe crew) are African or of African descent.
Every single Homo sapien on this planet is of African descent and sometimes I think we'd do well to remember that
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 13:49   #56
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Every single Homo sapien on this planet is of African descent and sometimes I think we'd do well to remember that

It’s more about culture than genes though. People would do better to remember that.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 22:25   #57
Ravioli

If it's about culture, why does the colour matter so much? Also should they not get African actors rather than black American or British ones?
Old 20-02-2018, 00:02   #58
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
If it's about culture, why does the colour matter so much? Also should they not get African actors rather than black American or British ones?
A quick Google shows me that least 4 of the cast (main cast members too) ARE African.

EDIT: If your a black African American, and it's very much an American film, your identity is very much tied both to the colour of your skin and your cultural background. It's a very complicated and sore subject for many African Americans. Racism is still rife in America and unlike most white people given how many black Americans were ripped away from their country of origin and have, in effect, had their culture and background stolen from them (think how easy it is for a white European to trace their ancestry and cultural heritage as opposed to someone whose ancestor was a slave transported across the Atlantic) the cultural significance of the film is not to be underestimated. At least that's how a black American friend has tried to explain it to me, a white English Northerner

Last edited by Mevlock; 20-02-2018 at 00:15.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
ourmatetone (20-02-2018)
Old 20-02-2018, 08:24   #59
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I've listened to a few film podcasts and watched interviews that have highlighted the significance of this film and it's quite clear why this film means so much to people. As a white male person, I take the white male heroes on screen for granted as there are so many of them and there always has been. For me there is nothing particularly special about another movie with a heroic white male lead. However, listening to these podcasts/interviews it's clear that as a black person (especially in America) there is very few heroic characters on screen that they can relate to. Apart from a few exceptions, in mainstream cinema black characters are usually comedy sidekicks, the token black friend, criminals etc. And most films set in a black culture are usually gritty and show the more unsavoury aspects of life. Where’s the escapism? So with Black Panther not only do you have a heroic lead that is a superhero and a king but you have black people playing politicians, leaders, academics all set in a black culture that is portrayed in a positive light. Yes this has led to the film to being a bit over hyped but so what? What’s wrong with people getting a genuine kick out of a movie and enjoying themselves at the cinema?
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
Arthur Fowler (20-02-2018), wolfkiller (20-02-2018)
Old 20-02-2018, 12:09   #60
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevlock View Post
A quick Google shows me that least 4 of the cast (main cast members too) ARE African.
Yep. I listened to Lupita Nyong'o on the Kermode and Mayo 5 Live interview and she reeled off loads of countries where the actors were from, many of which were African nations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NdgKoNCVOk

Last edited by GAmbrose; 20-02-2018 at 14:17.