Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 27-02-2018, 19:53   #361
fivebyfive
Trusted User

I don't think anyone has forgot the early seasons of TNG or DS9 even

The honest trailer for TNG is great

fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 19:55   #362
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yeah, that's a classic
"Doctor Beverly Crusher, who's just there most of the time" And she's one of my favourite characters!
Old 27-02-2018, 20:33   #363
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Everyone seems to complain about the first couple of seasons of TNG, but there's some really good stuff mixed in with the not-so-good. I'm re-watching the whole thing a few eps a week, and I'd forgotten how universally dull and forgettable most of season 7 is.
Unfortunately the amount of bad was more than good and that's bad any way you slice it.

But just for the fun of it the best of season 1 for me are

About half of Encounter at Farpoint
The Battle
Hide and Q
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

That's 20 episodes that are totally forgettable

Best of Season 2

Elementary, Dear Data
he Measure of a Man
Contagion
Time Squared
Q Who
Peak Performance

Best Of Season 3

The Survivors
Booby Trap
The Defector
Yesterday's Enterprise
The Most Toys
The Best of Both Worlds

Season 3 the cast was working well together less wooden. Tasha Yar gone who was never good to begin with; much better as Sela. Worf on the bridge for season 1 and 2 what did he do?

Compared to TOS you have several superfluous characters that still needed to be written for.

TOS Kirk, Spock , Bones, Mcoy, Sulu for me are the main

TNG Picard, Riker, Data, Troi, Crusher/Pulaski, La Forge, Worf, Yar, Wesley

Data easily does both Helm and Science; subbing for Sulu and Spock
Crusher/Pulaski for bones (I though she was a better counter to Troi and Picard Beverly just seems to agree to easily.)
La Forge For Scotty
Riker should have had a job of tactical but his main job is job is commanding away teams and keeping the seat warm when Picard nips off to the Lavvi

So you have trimmed the crew down from 9 to 5, opening credit would not take so long to read; imagine how much extra story you could pack in

Troi I think he's hiding something but I cannot say what, very useful. B5 used telepaths to better effect.
Wesley who who'd want a little know it all kid on the bridge anyway you'd just want to **** hit across the back of the head (maybe that's what Picard did and in Season 8 he would have had Picard up on charges.
Worf and Yar are not needed
Ship's Computer a character in itself sorry way overused and I didn't like the voice B5's computer was hotter

Where TNG went wrong in its early seasons was not trying to link back to TOS, Never going into the Mirror Universe, return to familiar planets and avoiding any mini arcs until the end of season 3. Throwaway bottle episodes every week where the outcome never/rarely affected a future episodes got stale.

With Voyager some episodes did affect future events and the whole series had an overriding arc about getting home.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 20:52   #364
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

While Discovery was ok it was not Star Trek, so you make a show that shares so little with what has come before you pretty much alienate a large section of the audience. DS9 managed that balance really well, firmly entrenched in Star Trek lore but different enough for it to standout. Result was still pretty much the same, most of the Trek audience didn't like it.

Star Trek Orville shows how to do a first season of a TNG like show.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 21:05   #365
fivebyfive
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
While Discovery was ok it was not Star Trek, so you make a show that shares so little with what has come before you pretty much alienate a large section of the audience. DS9 managed that balance really well, firmly entrenched in Star Trek lore but different enough for it to standout. Result was still pretty much the same, most of the Trek audience didn't like it.

Star Trek Orville shows how to do a first season of a TNG like show.
Thats because the Orville was just TNG scripts rewritten a bit and I actually like the show
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote