Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 17-09-2018, 09:20   #701
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Now halfway through Ozark S2 & it continues to impress a lot. The tension is relentless & they do a great job pumping up the pressure on the Byrd family & their associates...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:20   #702
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC is basically the same mix of macho dudes doing macho things & extreme violence, with a Mexican twist & much less likeable characters.

The main thing I took from the first 2 episodes was how ridiculous & uncomfortable their bikes look to ride.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 12:19   #703
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
The main thing I took from the first 2 episodes was how ridiculous & uncomfortable their bikes look to ride.
Yeah! ... I don't recall the handlebars being that ridiculously high when watching SoA?!? ... EVERY bike scene (and there's a lot of them!) I'm totally distracted looking at those stupid handlebars!

Anyways, back to the show, which as you say, is just more of the same. It's watchable but the "been here, done it, got the t-shirt" element is kinda dull. Maybe once you get to fully know the (huge!) number of new cast members, it should get better....

Also not sure what to make of the new "Lets go to Mars!" series, "The First". I've just watched the first one & it began well, but quickly decended into a dull character study rather than a fascinating insight into a realistic show about getting Man to Mars. Good acting as always from the likes of Sean Penn & Natascha McElhone & decent production values, but ohhh so boring so far...
Old 17-09-2018, 12:53   #704
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,032 Times in 727 Posts
Quote:
Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC is basically the same mix of macho dudes doing macho things & extreme violence, with a Mexican twist & much less likeable characters.

I always think that watching Pawn Stars, some of the seats and positions you are supposed to drive in look incredibly painful to sit for more than a few minutes, you probably get used to it and look cool though
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 20:40   #705
TonyG

Anyone else been keeping up with S2 of Salvation & watched the finale?

All I have to say is WHAT THE ****?!?

This season has been bat **** crazy but mildly entertaining but did I just witness the biggest example of “jumping the shark” in years?!?
Old 18-09-2018, 20:47   #706
Thucydides
Senor Member

Quote:

That is exactly what I thought! How on earth would you ride them, even turning a fraction must be really hard to judge and your arms must ache terribly after a while. I really enjoyed Sons although it was poor at the end, but I'm not feeling it for Mayans at the moment. Will give it a while I guess.
Thucydides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 00:35   #707
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Not sure if it was a season finale but the ending of the latest Elementary was excellent
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 00:43   #708
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I posted this in an old Adult Swim thread but look who’s back!

https://youtu.be/fC0zgOJq7CU
Old 19-09-2018, 07:55   #709
Kryten

I've added The First and Castle Rock to my watchlist (Hulu here in US). Hope to start them this week.
Old 19-09-2018, 08:20   #710
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Not sure if it was a season finale but the ending of the latest Elementary was excellent
Agreed. Loved it. & if it hadn't already been renewed for another season, it would have made a great series finale.

The final episode of Shooter was also surprisingly great after a very patchy season.

Binged the first six episodes of Amazon's Forever yesterday. It's a comedy starring Maya Rudolph & Fred Armisen about a long married couple. To say any more would be spoiling it, but it's quite funny in places, if very odd. Episode six spends 99% of the running time with a new set of characters which threw me completely, but was still quite compelling viewing. Liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Absolutely loving S2 of Get Shorty......
Ditto. Heather Graham's still got it. It's a pity they couldn't get the real Robert Evans & Brian De Palma to cameo in the latest episode (or at least someone who actually looked like the latter), but I guess that might be stepping into Entourage territory...

Last edited by aprout; 19-09-2018 at 08:38.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:39   #711
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,263 Times in 830 Posts
I didn't like The First. Describing it as a show about "man's first mission to mars" is practically false advertising. It's a heavy character drama about the tolls being an astronaut / astronaut's family takes. Fairly predictable stuff at times, particularly the daughter.

It has some science aspects to it and that's what kept me going initially as I figured that would take precedence after the first few episodes but I was wrong. The 5th episode was intolerable. Skipped through lots of that and I hate reading when people do that, but I broke and had to!

I saw one review compare it to a Terence Malick film which I can certainly see (I don't like his films). It has lots of random nature photography with monologues that quite frankly mean bugger all. Gawd knows what the telephone was all about.

Pros are that it's well made, generally well acted and I liked the near future everyday tech that's on display.

Last edited by kanedaa; 19-09-2018 at 09:43.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:26   #712
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Agreed. Loved it. & if it hadn't already been renewed for another season, it would have made a great series finale.
It seems that it is indeed the last episode in Season 6 and was written as an ending to the whole series as, at the time it was written, there wasn't going to be a Season 7 ... which is also why

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 19-09-2018 at 12:28.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote