Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 10:06   #641
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Very impressed with the new 10-part series, Condor based on the old Robert Redford movie, "Three Days of the Condor".

Well directed, good cast (including the likes of William Hurt & Brendan Fraser) & the action is violent.

Also enjoyed the opening episode of Impulse (available free on YouTube) which is another 10 episode mini-series, set in the Jumper universe (Does anyone remember the movie from about a decade ago?).

It focuses more on the personal drama of dealing with having a strange power, rather than a full-blown superhero actioner.

Also really enjoyed the latest Marvel offering, Cloak and Dagger. Was never much of a fan of the comic-book version, but the opening two episodes (currently available via Amazon Prime) were very entertaining & I enjoyed more than the recent Netflix Marvel shows (Jessica Jones, Iron Fist & Luke Cage).
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:14   #642
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
I'm about halfway through Impulse & it's one of the best things I've seen in ages. I did wonder about the Jumper connection as the plot was similar & Doug Liman produces & directed the first episode.

Watched the first episode of Condor (are the rest available or is it a weekly thing?). Big fan of the movie & thought it was a very well put together update. Nice to see Brendan Fraser again. Thought William Hurt looked quite ill, but maybe that's just the character...

Some more newbies:

Carter stars Jerry O'Connell as an actor on TV detective show who returns to his childhood home town after a scandal & becomes a consultant for the local police. It's watchable enough fluff, but it so desperately wants to be the new Castle & feels kinda cheap. The highlight is Sydney Poitier (daughter of, erm, Sidney Poitier) as his cop partner.

American Woman stars an almost unrecognizable Alicia Silverstone as an housewife in '70s LA where every single man is either a ridiculously sexist, misogynist pig or gay. It's sledgehammer subtle in its feminist message & Silverstone frequently looks out of her depth, but the production design & soundtrack evoke the era quite well.

Reverie, about people losing themselves in a virtual reality world & the hostage negotiator sent in to get bring them back is shiny & expensive looking but quite dull. Person of Interest's Sarah Shahi & 24's Dennis Haysbert star. I'd be amazed if it did a full season.

Gave up on HBO's Succession about twenty minutes into the first episode. More rich people being dicks to each other & a dementia-riddled Brian Cox peeing in his closet = not for me.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:00   #643
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Condor is a weekly show unfortunately & I agree that Hurt looks worryingly thin.

I tried the first two episodes of Reverie & apart from Shahi looking attractive as ever, nothing else worked. They story-of-the-week element was weak & the on-going conspiracy plot feels thin.

Only watched the first episode of Succession, which on paper, I should love, but it was crushingly disappointing. As you say, it's a show filled with rich characters being complete ***** with zero redeeming factors who you hate within seconds of their introductions. Cox is always watchable but I struggled to find anything else to enjoy. Also the NYPD Blue, Shakey-cam was turned up to 11 & was incredibly annoying. I'll give it one more go as there must be something to it as I've just discovered it's already received a second season order....
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 21:55   #644
Blokie13
Trusted User

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Impulse on your recommendations - absolutely brilliant!
Blokie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:43   #645
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Finished Impulse yesterday. Superb stuff. Really hope it gets another season.

The only minor misstep for me was the cameo by
which felt oddly comic compared to the rest of the show & a bit out of place.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote