Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 10:10   #221
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
After the disappointment of the last film, the next one needs to be top notch, I'd hate for it to become like Star Trek movies.
at least the the TOS Trek movies had a 50% hit rate.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:22   #222
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
at least the the TOS Trek movies had a 50% hit rate.
and only came out every few years, so you were ready to take another chance.
rbullivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:24   #223
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig View Post
The Last Jedi (despite awesome cinematography and good acting) is the worst Star Wars film to date. The Lucas prequels at least had a good story, albeit lathered with unnecessarily childish humour, poor acting, terrible scripts, and shiny CGI.
It's the story that matters more than anything. TLJ told no story, it just wanted to shock and awe, and surprise by undoing and going against everything that went before it.
"Amazing. Every word in that sentence was wrong."
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:09   #224
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I think that post came from the upside down because I disagree with every word of it too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:19   #225
Ravioli

Quote:
Sadly it seems to be the Disney model, hack out a random line in a movie (the clone wars), and make it into a trilogy.
The Disney model is to make money. They make a huge amount from mechandising and are probably the world leader in this. Making movies is a good way to get new generations into a franchise and wanting the latest merchandise. They can afford to spend millions on a movie, because even if it only breaks even they'll make money on everything else.
They've made some rubbish movies (who hasn't?), but they've also made some classics
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26   #226
shteve
Trusted User

Quote:
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you haven't actually been to the cinema to see TLJ. This is exactly the point we're making. Yes we will see the film, but they're quickly losing their appeal. That's the appeal in that we eagerly await any snippet of news, make plans to see it at opening day with like minded friends.
I wouldn't take my not having seen TLJ at the cinema as any kind of lack of interest on my part. I saw the original 3 at the cinema, and then AoTC (TPM and RoTS on DVD). I rarely go to the cinema even for a film I really want to see.

Quote:
I quite liked TPM, and felt the films got weaker as it went on as the plots got sillier, the acting and scripting worse.

Sadly it seems to be the Disney model, hack out a random line in a movie (the clone wars), and make it into a trilogy.
The prequels and the Clone Wars cartoon were made pre-Disney
Old 12-02-2018, 14:10   #227
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
I think that post came from the upside down because I disagree with every word of it too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Apparently because some people didn't like it, it has become fact that it's the worst Star Wars film ever, everybody hates it and everything is ruined. This is of course despite the fact that bar two people everybody I know either liked it or loved it and the audience satisfaction rating in the US was very high.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 15:01   #228
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I wouldn't take my not having seen TLJ at the cinema as any kind of lack of interest on my part. I saw the original 3 at the cinema, and then AoTC (TPM and RoTS on DVD). I rarely go to the cinema even for a film I really want to see.

The prequels and the Clone Wars cartoon were made pre-Disney
Yes but a SW film should make you climb over your own Mother to get there, I'll no doubt be the same with this next one (or at least the 14th one after that). I'll catch it on DVD.

I know they were, but it seems Disney are following the same model
rbullivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 18:08   #229
shteve
Trusted User

I'm a big Star Wars fan, not a big cinema fan. I've read loads of the books, ranging from Splinter of the Mind's Eye through to the Yuuzhan Vong war and the death of Jacen Solo. The cinema experience is noisy distracted people, cramped seats and over-loud poorly mixed sound. I want to enjoy a Star Wars film under my own control. I don't expect high art in a Star Wars film, just a good adventure - though Rogue One didn't really do it for me.