Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 11:37   #621
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
And no one else should play Indiana Jones but you know Disney wants to make lots of money and HF is not getting any younger and no way is de-aging tech good enough to keep up with the fast moving action of an Indy flick.
I know Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones but I've always wondered why not try the Bond situation and carry on with other actors as Indiana.

The Internet backlash would be huge though. Look what happened when Affleck was cast as batman despite the fact that ironically he was the best part of Batman v superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I do think Solo suffered from being released around the time of Infinity War and Deadpool 2.
As head of Disney, Bob Iger, recently admitted, it was too much star wars in a short period of time. TLJ was only five months earlier and the marketing campaign for Solo started quite late.

Considering the well publicised production problems, I don't know why they didn't delay the film for December '18, keeping the standard one film a year schedule.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 11:41   #622
allan
Trusted User

Nothing would've made more people go and watch Solo. I've loved Star Wars for as long as I can remember (born in '81) but I had no yearning or interest to see it. I only saw it at the cinema because it was free with my unlimited card.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:56   #623
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,060 Times in 753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbitt View Post
I know Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones but I've always wondered why not try the Bond situation and carry on with other actors as Indiana.
I'd speculate that the creative team behind it didn't want to do it and would realise we'd all get bored of Indiana Jones. It took them about two decades to come up with a script for the 4th one and it wasn't great.

Maybe it was the genius of GL that nobody gives him credit for. It's not just creating some decent intellectual property, but knowing how much of it people genuinely wanted to see in any given time frame.

Creating two franchises than when brought back 20+ years later people are still clammering to see them. I think he also knows when to quit whilst he was ahead, certainly there was no desire to see any more for a while after the prequels. I strongly doubt an episode VII shortly after III would have gone down well at all.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:00   #624
allan
Trusted User

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post

Maybe it was the genius of GL that nobody gives him credit for. It's not just creating some decent intellectual property, but knowing how much of it people genuinely wanted to see in any given time frame.

Creating two franchises than when brought back 20+ years later people are still clammering to see them. I think he also knows when to quit whilst he was ahead, certainly there was no desire to see any more for a while after the prequels. I strongly doubt an episode VII shortly after III would have gone down well at all.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:14   #625
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
I'd speculate that the creative team behind it didn't want to do it and would realise we'd all get bored of Indiana Jones. It took them about two decades to come up with a script for the 4th one and it wasn't great.

It also didn't help that GL ended his initial trilogies brilliantly.

Jedi - Rebels win and the main trio survives to the end and all is right; the Empire seems completely destroyed (granted this would be explored in the EU)

Indy - Having both sipped the from the Grail Indy, Dad and friends ride off into the sunset.

When we come back The Galaxy is in a worse state perhaps even more than before. All are heroes are not as they were Han a deadbeat dad has buggered off with Chewie, Luke is AWOL and Leia is trying to run the republic but seems to be out of her depth and rather than try and mobilize the galaxy against the obvious threat of the 1st order sets up a small band or Rebels/Resistance/Insurgents to try and stop them.

Indy has gotten old, his dad and best friend are dead and the Russians are the enemy not the Nazis. Plus he's a deadbeat dad to Shia LaBeouf. Swinging through the trees with monkeys, killer ants and nuclear bomb safe fridges are the order of the day along with sword fights on fast moving cars in the jungle. What could go wrong?????????

Well they had to add inter dimensional aliens

There must have been a reason why GL never visited SW after Jedi perhaps he didn't want to F it up like he did with Indy.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:28   #626
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I suppose having plenty of money and other things going on helps a fair bit. I suppose he also had the rights and so fourth which must also help. Had Disney owned it from the start, would we still be talking about SW today?

The whole Hollywood mantra seems to be to churn out sequels until they can't turn a profit anymore and then stop.

With SOLO it happened quicker than I expected but it was clearly coming with SW.

Star Wars Episode 9
Obi Wan The The Sitting on Tatooine Years
Boba Fett The Movie
Han Solo 2
Han Solo 3
The guy who did TLJ movie trilogy 1
The guy who did TLJ movie trilogy 2
The guy who did TLJ movie trilogy 3
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 1
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 2
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 3
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 4
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 5
Yoda Movie
100 Hour Live Action TV Show

I feel I'm missing a couple as well, if it hadn't happened with Solo, it was coming. Each film more pointless than the last.
Old 03-10-2018, 13:57   #627
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
I suppose having plenty of money and other things going on helps a fair bit. I suppose he also had the rights and so fourth which must also help. Had Disney owned it from the start, would we still be talking about SW today?

The whole Hollywood mantra seems to be to churn out sequels until they can't turn a profit anymore and then stop.

With SOLO it happened quicker than I expected but it was clearly coming with SW.

Star Wars Episode 9
Obi Wan The The Sitting on Tatooine Years
Boba Fett The Movie
Han Solo 2
Han Solo 3
The guy who did TLJ movie trilogy 1
The guy who did TLJ movie trilogy 2
The guy who did TLJ movie trilogy 3
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 1
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 2
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 3
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 4
The guys who did Game of Thrones Trilogy of Five Movies 5
Yoda Movie
100 Hour Live Action TV Show

I feel I'm missing a couple as well, if it hadn't happened with Solo, it was coming. Each film more pointless than the last.
The Obi Wan movie could be a trilogy

Straight up homage/knock-off of the Clint Eastwood movies

A Fist Full Of Jawas
For A Few Jawas More

For the final movie we go in a different direction with Obi Wan and as yet unnamed Sith battling for the love of a Jawa

The Jedi, The Sith and The Jawa

If these do well they also plan a Remake of a Kurosawa classic

The 47 Jawas

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 03-10-2018 at 14:00.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 14:16   #628
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Easily it would have been a trilogy, possibly with the last movie split into two parts!

It's quite clear that Disney believed people were happy to see 4 SW movies a year and little quality control. Letting RJ do a trilogy, what's it about? Who cares, it's three more Star Wars movies.