Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 10:10   #221
MaxNutter
20
 
MaxNutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Timperley
Posts: 14,088
Thanks: 97
Thanked 403 Times in 303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
After the disappointment of the last film, the next one needs to be top notch, I'd hate for it to become like Star Trek movies.
at least the the TOS Trek movies had a 50% hit rate.
__________________
"He has his mother's eyes..."
"I thought we had them?"
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:22   #222
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Preston, Lancashire, England
Posts: 20,057
Thanks: 256
Thanked 959 Times in 671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
at least the the TOS Trek movies had a 50% hit rate.
and only came out every few years, so you were ready to take another chance.
rbullivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:24   #223
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it
 
LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Deep Space Nine
Posts: 8,147
Thanks: 192
Thanked 197 Times in 123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig View Post
The Last Jedi (despite awesome cinematography and good acting) is the worst Star Wars film to date. The Lucas prequels at least had a good story, albeit lathered with unnecessarily childish humour, poor acting, terrible scripts, and shiny CGI.
It's the story that matters more than anything. TLJ told no story, it just wanted to shock and awe, and surprise by undoing and going against everything that went before it.
"Amazing. Every word in that sentence was wrong."
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:09   #224
Mr Majestik
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a pineapple under the sea.
Posts: 15,570
Thanks: 7
Thanked 333 Times in 193 Posts
I think that post came from the upside down because I disagree with every word of it too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:19   #225
Ravioli
Member
 
Ravioli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,170
Thanks: 101
Thanked 180 Times in 135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Sadly it seems to be the Disney model, hack out a random line in a movie (the clone wars), and make it into a trilogy.
The Disney model is to make money. They make a huge amount from mechandising and are probably the world leader in this. Making movies is a good way to get new generations into a franchise and wanting the latest merchandise. They can afford to spend millions on a movie, because even if it only breaks even they'll make money on everything else.
They've made some rubbish movies (who hasn't?), but they've also made some classics
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26   #226
shteve
Trusted User
 
shteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cov
Posts: 5,298
Thanks: 280
Thanked 551 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you haven't actually been to the cinema to see TLJ. This is exactly the point we're making. Yes we will see the film, but they're quickly losing their appeal. That's the appeal in that we eagerly await any snippet of news, make plans to see it at opening day with like minded friends.
I wouldn't take my not having seen TLJ at the cinema as any kind of lack of interest on my part. I saw the original 3 at the cinema, and then AoTC (TPM and RoTS on DVD). I rarely go to the cinema even for a film I really want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I quite liked TPM, and felt the films got weaker as it went on as the plots got sillier, the acting and scripting worse.

Sadly it seems to be the Disney model, hack out a random line in a movie (the clone wars), and make it into a trilogy.
The prequels and the Clone Wars cartoon were made pre-Disney
__________________
I've got a signature and an avatar :p
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:10   #227
Hood
HipHopPotamus
 
Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 5,447
Thanks: 77
Thanked 186 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
I think that post came from the upside down because I disagree with every word of it too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Apparently because some people didn't like it, it has become fact that it's the worst Star Wars film ever, everybody hates it and everything is ruined. This is of course despite the fact that bar two people everybody I know either liked it or loved it and the audience satisfaction rating in the US was very high.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 15:01   #228
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Preston, Lancashire, England
Posts: 20,057
Thanks: 256
Thanked 959 Times in 671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I wouldn't take my not having seen TLJ at the cinema as any kind of lack of interest on my part. I saw the original 3 at the cinema, and then AoTC (TPM and RoTS on DVD). I rarely go to the cinema even for a film I really want to see.

The prequels and the Clone Wars cartoon were made pre-Disney
Yes but a SW film should make you climb over your own Mother to get there, I'll no doubt be the same with this next one (or at least the 14th one after that). I'll catch it on DVD.

I know they were, but it seems Disney are following the same model
rbullivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 18:08   #229
shteve
Trusted User
 
shteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cov
Posts: 5,298
Thanks: 280
Thanked 551 Times in 421 Posts
I'm a big Star Wars fan, not a big cinema fan. I've read loads of the books, ranging from Splinter of the Mind's Eye through to the Yuuzhan Vong war and the death of Jacen Solo. The cinema experience is noisy distracted people, cramped seats and over-loud poorly mixed sound. I want to enjoy a Star Wars film under my own control. I don't expect high art in a Star Wars film, just a good adventure - though Rogue One didn't really do it for me.
__________________
I've got a signature and an avatar :p
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star Wars - The Solo Adventures Pentasa Film Discussion 14 09-10-2010 19:43
Win a Ltd Edition Star Wars: The Clone Wars Art Cell Signed by G Lucas - Ends 22/12/ Alan b Competitions and Surveys 8 06-12-2009 11:36
Star Wars Episode III DVD £6.85 and Star Wars Trilogy DVD boxset £15.99 @ ChoicesUK! ChoicesUK.com Bargain Forum 4 27-03-2006 19:48
Rachel from S Club - will she make it as a solo star The Falcon Music Discussion 8 03-06-2003 18:27

All times are GMT. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network