Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 15-10-2018, 16:54   #2701
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,468 Times in 456 Posts
Oh dear.

Quote:
After having pulled the Windows 10 October update after users reported it was deleting some of their files, it re-released the update back to Insiders for further testing.

However, since then, now users are reporting issues with Windows Task Manager, incompatibility issues with Intel drivers, apps being barred from connecting to the internet, audio drivers no longer working and even the dreaded blue screen of death.
Come back Windows 7, all is forgiven.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 11:29   #2702
ascender
Trusted User

I'm now living in fear of starting my virtual machine! What's the latest with this?

I'm still considering going back to Windows 7 too! Get a few cheap OEM keys on eBay and banish Win 10 for good.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 11:51   #2703
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Apart from the fact that Win 7 isn't supported anymore ... and software probably won't run on it for much longer (it'll need version X of .Net which won't install...) Win 7 isn't a really viable option... Shame, as my WIn 7 box at work was rock solid.

If you've a virtual machine, then technically you're OK, because you can rollback if there are any issues ... easier than a normal PC!
Old 17-10-2018, 11:55   #2704
allan
Trusted User

Only if you snapshotted it.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:33   #2705
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,867 Posts
I presume I'm not alone in the new 10 working fine on all my machines?
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:37   #2706
shteve
Trusted User

Nope, all fine here too.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:02   #2707
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

People seem to have forgotten all about Windows 8.

With a decent start menu replacement like StartIs Back Windows 8.1 was solid.

It had a much updated kernel compared to Windows 7 and I'd much rather be running 8.1 than Windows 7.

In fact I'm running it on my htpc.

Of course if Microsoft hadn't have fired most of their QA staff Windows 10 probably wouldn't be suffering the problems it does whenever a large update arrives.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:10   #2708
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Drifting off-topic, but I think 8 was the point at which more stuff was hidden and 'delayed' to give the impression that it was quicker, but it was just smoke and mirrors. I had a lot more Explorer crashes, random lockups and general issues than with 7. 7 just seemed 'simpler' and more basic - less to go wrong. Kind of the same argument with XP, except XP is unusable now. It would be excellent if there were more service packs for 7/8, rather than having to download shedloads of updates.

Might have to try 8.1 on my laptop again.
Old 17-10-2018, 17:06   #2709
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
What's the latest with this?
Glad you asked.

Quote:
The bug only affected a tiny proportion of upgraders – specifically, those who’d moved their personal folders to locations other than the default. And Microsoft has moved quickly to remedy the situation. After suspending the rollout, the company tested a fixed version of the installer through the Windows Insider programme, ready for a public rollout to begin again.

So while these early bugs are embarrassing for Microsoft, they shouldn’t put you off downloading the October update.

Whats new in the update? Oooh, exciting....

Quote:
Windows now have sober grey borders by default, rather than the coloured edges of the previous release, and there’s a wider use of shadow and transparency to give more sense of depth.

On the desktop, you can access the Clipboard History tool by pressing Windows+V instead of Ctrl+V in any app; this pops up a window showing all the fragments of text you’ve recently copied (and images from compatible apps), and allows you to insert any of them with a click. This history can be synchronised across all your Windows 10 devices, and with a forthcoming SwiftKey update.

The October Update also sees the Your Phone app become an integrated part of Windows. This allows Android users to read and reply to SMS messages from the desktop, and drag and drop files and photos from your mobile device onto your PC.

For those seeking to eke out as much battery life as possible, the Task Manager has been updated with a new column showing how much power each process is consuming; once it’s been running a while, a “trend” indicator is shown too, to give you an immediate idea of each program’s long-term power profile.

Weirdly, the company has also built a “Search with Bing” capability into Notepad...

The Registry Editor gets one clever new feature too: when you’re navigating to a particular key, there’s now a handy autocomplete function that makes it far, far quicker to type in lengthy paths.

The Edge browser gets a smattering of cosmetic tweaks, including a set of new options for handling auto-playing videos. You can block all such content, allow it only on specified sites, or tell Edge to automatically mute the audio until you click to enable it.
Apparently there has been no improvements to the spontaneous reboots when installing updates, and still the OS will reboot at odd and inconvenient times. Not had this much myself with my work PC, but have gone to use my home PC only for it to have rebooted while I'd left it open in the middle of doing something.

Last edited by Chris Locke; 17-10-2018 at 17:33.
Thanked once by:
ascender (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 18:14   #2710
shteve
Trusted User

There's a lot of good stuff in there for Windows MR users.

And my personal folders weren't in the default place either, but I had moved them using the "location" tab on each of the user folders. Maybe there's another way to do it that MS didn't account for, or maybe it's only ones which sync to Onedrive which mine don't. Either way, I'd backed up before the upgrade and nothing got deleted anyway.