Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 18-05-2018, 17:24   #2601
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

How bloody big is the latest Win10 update ? It seems to want either 3GB more on my primary HDD and additional space on an external drive OR nearly 7GB of space on my primary HDD.

I don't meet either of the primary HDD requirements ( partly I believe to previously failed and uncleaned update attempts ) so how do I stop my PC from trying to apply the update?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 04:25   #2602
scoobyood
Tony Danza

The update will need 3GB ish for the update. Double that because it unpacks it and places it next to the current windows install. Then it will leave a complete copy of your current 'C:\Windows' directory as backup... so double the inital download size plus some extra is about right.

After it's all done, those backup and temp files can be removed again.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 06:51   #2603
Tempest
Trusted User

I have a Windows Tablet, had it a few years now.
Amazing for the price, Windows 10 and all that.

But I don't think it has enough storage to actually upgrade itself.
I tried the last upgrade a few times and it failed at the end, I deleted most of what I could, short of wiping it clean, and still would not do it.

So this time around I guess I have no chance.
Unless there is some other way?

If I'm honest, I don't use it. It's one of those, nice to have around if something went wrong, or I REALLY needed a windows computer to take somewhere kinda things.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 06:58   #2604
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,827 Posts
Seen the feature list for the next Windows?
"very interesting updates to features like copy-paste"
Bing search integrated into Notepad

Who is setting these priorities?? The clipboard just works. I fear a new improved version.

And why on earth does notepad, the simplest program in the world, need Bing in it??
There are many more advanced text editors out there. I'm not sure any of them added internet searches as their first feature. It's original at least. I guess.
target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 07:10   #2605
Tempest
Trusted User

Something I think i saw, which for me, sounds like a major change/improvement, if it's what I think it is, is your phone (Android phone?) being duplicated on your PC screen.

Having your phone in the room or home, and you are sitting on your PC for perhaps a few hours.
Things happening on your phone, nowadays, so you need to reach for your phone, deal with those things or look at them, than put the phone down and back to your PC screen.

If you can link those, so you never have to pick your phone up again as you have a kind of "Virtual Phone" on your desktop screen would be superb. (If done well)

Oh, and I'm still waiting for my idea from years ago, to be implemented.
3D Windows, where you don't have to minimize a program to the task-bar and it vanishes. You Simply click on the title-bar, press a button on the mouse, move the mouse away from you, and it live scales the program window, back, into the screen as if you are just moving it away from you, as you would in real life,
move something away to the back of your desk to clear some space, but it's still there in view.
Old 19-05-2018, 07:20   #2606
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,827 Posts
I have to admit, what I've always found lacking in Windows is a Surgeon Simulator style UI.
target is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (19-05-2018)
Old 19-05-2018, 07:59   #2607
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I have to admit, what I've always found lacking in Windows is a Surgeon Simulator style UI.
It would need to be done well of course (which is the key) and it was not possible in days or old, as you'd need some GPU involvement I guess to make it a realistic possibility.

But, I can tell you 100%
After I've spend hours upon hours on my PC in a 3D environment, be in in my 3D modelling software or the 3D world I have build various models for.

And using my 3DConnexion controller for hours, to spin/zoom around in total 3D freedom on both programs.
Coming back to hard 2D windows has sometimes been a bit of a jolt.

I'd even for a moment, thought I'd just spin around in windows to look at something only to thing, what am I doing!

It's a BIG jump and you need the right controller and implementation, but being about do things in a environment larger than your 2D screen, once you get use to it, gives you a weird sense of freedom.

None of that will happen, but I do think, being able to "Push" a running program/window back into-the-screen, so you can still see it, could be a nice idea if done well.

A bit like just scaling down a video window so you can see the video running smaller, but it would just be the norm for any program.

Don't see it happening really, but hey
Old 19-05-2018, 08:42   #2608
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
The update will need 3GB ish for the update. Double that because it unpacks it and places it next to the current windows install. Then it will leave a complete copy of your current 'C:\Windows' directory as backup... so double the inital download size plus some extra is about right.

After it's all done, those backup and temp files can be removed again.
Thanks.

I need to do some partition reshaping shenanigans in that case
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 13:33   #2609
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

They've now rolled out a patch to fix the store refreshing and not loading issue, however you need to be able to load the store to access it I managed to do that and my start menu now works properly and and I can sign out and shut down etc.

However I still have the endless scrolling bug in all metro apps and panels.

The scroll bar smashes into the bottom of the window and bounces up and down on it's own even when all Mice and Keyboard hardware and drivers are uninstalled.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote