Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 20-10-2016, 20:34   #81
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I have always thought that Nintendo world outlast both Sony and MS, they have huge reserves of cash. Sony's game division is keeping the whole company afloat while Xbox always comes across as a side business for Microsoft.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zantarous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 20:41   #82
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,682 Times in 568 Posts
I really hope they don't put a touchscreen on. They really need to keep the cost down to get people buying it.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:54   #83
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Really interested in this. Not bought a PS4 or Xbox One and my gaming is pretty low since becoming a dad a few years ago. Only thing I really play is my Vita as it allows short gaming sessions with resume. I'm hoping it'll be similar in power to a PS4 or XB1 (rumours new Tegra behind it) and it allows back compatibility with the Wii and Wii U. Family gaming is important and since no Buzz like games on the PS4 and Kinect being abandoned on the Xbox (used to love having family and friends play Kinect Sports on the 360) hoping this will fill that gap.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:03   #84
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
I'm hoping it'll be similar in power to a PS4 or XB1 (rumours new Tegra behind it) and it allows back compatibility with the Wii and Wii U.

It's cartridge based. So it sounds like, if there is backward compatibility, you'll have to buy the games again.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:39   #85
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I really hope they don't put a touchscreen on. They really need to keep the cost down to get people buying it.
Nintendo confirmed to IGN that the dock is just a dock and has no extra processing, that the screen is LCD rather than OLED, that the unit will support Amiibos, but then declined to comment on the subject of touch functionality.

If I had to guess then I'd say it will be a touch screen, if only because of how popular Mario Maker is.
Old 20-10-2016, 22:46   #86
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Why hide if it is touch or not? Surely if it was touch they would be raving about not hiding the fact?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zantarous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 23:13   #87
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
How powerful it is doesn't mean a thing. It's how many games and how good they are that's important.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Couldn't give a toss if I can see the character's hair waving in the breeze or just how many polygons were used to display him - if the gameplay is **** then that sort of stuff don't mean jack
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 23:50   #88
Shingster
Trusted User

Typical Nintendo ingenuity, it certainly has the potential to be massively successful. Like others have said the trailer was strangely adult-orientated. Is it because they don't want to remind anyone that children are gonna lose the **** out of those removable mini-thumbsticks?
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 06:54   #89
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,228 Times in 876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I'm no real interest in a handheld console and if I'm honest the Wii U was a waste of money given how many hours I've spent using it.
I'd agree, I'm not an avid games player anymore, but the WiiU couldn't keep up the games in its early life. I can't be bothered with multiple consoles and can't readily justify them. The WiiU just seemed to be HD updates of the old games.

Not sure I want to invest in a console that gives me about 0.7 Zelda games per generation.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 07:05   #90
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
The WiiU just seemed to be HD updates of the old games.
Isn't that exactly what the latest generation of Sony and Microsoft consoles have offered?
Old 21-10-2016, 09:00   #91
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6473a View Post
It's cartridge based. So it sounds like, if there is backward compatibility, you'll have to buy the games again.
Ah didn't even think of that.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:01   #92
Slender
Trusted User

I really like the look of the hardware. It looks solid an well designed unlike the Wii U. The concept looks to be great for families where you don't always have access to the tv for gaming.
They do really need to have a huge and exciting launch line up. What's shown here is pretty depressing in my opinion. Mario and Zelda again and a couple of remastered oldies. Can't imagine many people getting excited to play Skyrim again and if they are there's always the remastered version on PS4 and Xbox One that's probably going to look much better.
There were rumours that Nintendo was holding back games on the Wii U so they would have a great launch line-up for the NX. Hopefully it'll contain some surprises and some fresh new franchises.
Slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:06   #93
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,192 Posts
Completely different architecture as well so any Wii or Wii U backwards compatibility would have to be via emulation. Wii is very possible but Wii U less so, and they've already shown two Wii U games are getting Switch versions so they're more likely to go that route with Wii U games.

The general reaction here and elsewhere reminds me a lot of the Wii U's reaction, where all the dads and husbands with no games room or control over the TV were giddy over the possibility they might be able to play games while the kids watch Peppa Pig or their partners watch Eastenders. It worked out fantastically for the Wii U so looking good for the Switch
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:08   #94
Tempest
Trusted User

Dammit.

I had not seen later news reports.
I really really hoped the DOCK would be more than just a stand with wires, and would connect to some extra beefy hardware so when back home on the BIG screen, it had the extra grunt to really shine.

Ok, well let's hope there is something extra special in the tablet, but given heat and battery life, I do worry.
Will it even be as fast as say an 9.7" iPad Pro is today?
Tempest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:13   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

Ok, well let's hope there is something extra special in the tablet, but given heat and battery life, I do worry.
Will it even be as fast as say an 9.7" iPad Pro is today?
I'm not sure if they've confirmed whether it is a new Pascal based Tegra or the older Maxwell (nVidia kind of hints that it's Pascal on the blog post thing) so it theoretically should be pretty high up there as far as mobile processors go. It also won't need to render as a high a resolution as the iPad Pro which will help.
Old 21-10-2016, 09:37   #96
basegreen
neergesab

The USP here isn't going to be the take-and-play side of it, it will be the price.

I suspect driving this is a fairly low cost platform, some docking hardware and a few bits and bobs extra around the remote "pads".

Could it be £199?
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:47   #97
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,192 Posts
I think it'll be a lot more than £199, which is why I said it either needs to be cheap (so those who don't care for the portability don't feel like they're paying through the nose for it) or there needs to be a stripped down box-only version (which I think they'll be too scared to do out of fear of confusing matters).
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:05   #98
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I'm expecting £249-299
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:12   #99
JimDriver2
Trusted User

The price and power is going to be a big factor. Not in the sense of it's got to compete with the Xbox or PS4 but more that people are going to compare it against iPad's etc.

One thing I've never understood is that people are prepared to pay £500+ for an iPad yet would never consider that for a console, something that needs more power.

It all comes down to if Nintendo are prepared to take a loss on the machine. The Tesco Hudl 2 from a couple of years back was incredibly power for it's £130 price, I still use mine now as one of my main tablets.

I think £250 running games at 1080p @ 60 that quality wise still look decent compared to PS4 graphics is the right point to hit. However I doubt we'll get that, especially with Brexit tech prices I'd be surprised at anything less than £350 for us.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:12   #100
orac
information is restricted

In a way I would like Nintendo to have to put there games on other devices, like Sega had to. But I had a Wii U for a few months at the beginning of 2015 and the games were superb:

Mario World
Mario Kart 8
Captain Toad
Pikmin 3

But then after that I had little else to play, so swapped it for an Xbox one. Mario and especially Pikmin 3 are unique titles and nothing like them on other consoles (especially Pikmin).

I am so wanting to play Pikmin that I have assembled an original Wii again and am going to play the first Pikmin on it.

But its always interesting what Nintendo are going to do next. The Switch looks interesting, depends on what games it has and I think it needs to be £200 max. I don't play very indepth games these days, so Nintendo may well be of interest.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote