Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 20-10-2016, 14:30   #61

Is Mario collecting rings in that clip?
Old 20-10-2016, 14:42   #62
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,682 Times in 568 Posts
If that's a new Mario 3D game, then I'm buying it.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:48   #63
the_edge30
Give me all your lootz

I love Nintendo, and I love Nintendo games, but having bought the Wii U and basically having a handful of games to play on it I will certainly not be getting this on release.

I also don't get all this carrying it around nonsense, people have smartphones and tablets that they already use for mobile gaming, I just dont get the market for a console you can carry around with you, gaming, to me at least is so much better sat at home in front of a big tv with decent sound etc etc.

As people have said, this will live or die by whether games companies support it....
Old 20-10-2016, 14:55   #64
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,026 Times in 452 Posts
touchscreen controls are never as good as a real controller, so the switch has that over smartphone/tablet gaming
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:59   #65
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Did anyone see a camera on it? Surely Pokemon Go switch would shift a few units.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:10   #66

Looked like they also had some kind of Pro controller too
Old 20-10-2016, 16:44   #67
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,228 Times in 876 Posts
I'm unimpressed, basically an ipad with a controller no matter how gimmicky you make it look.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 16:58   #68
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_edge30 View Post
I also don't get all this carrying it around nonsense, people have smartphones and tablets that they already use for mobile gaming, I just dont get the market for a console you can carry around with you
Sorry, but anyone who thinks that gaming of any real standard is possible on a tablet or mobile phone touch-screen, doesn't really like gaming. And given the sales numbers posted by Nintendo's portable consoles, there's a hell of a large market of people who agree.

I think that's a great launch trailer and it's got me excited for their new system.

Whether or not you will ever use it portably isn't the only point here; it also means that Nintendo won't have to split their resources making games for a handheld and home console separately. They can just get on with making games, for one system, and you can play them however you like. That sounds great to me and should mean a much more robust flow of games.

The only downside I could see was that abomination of a controller. The one that you snap the two separate units onto.
However, the new "pro controller" looks good (basically an Xbox design) from the brief glimpses in the trailer.

Last edited by eye__writ; 20-10-2016 at 16:59.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 18:01   #69
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I thought the product looked really well designed. Count me in the group that can't abide by touch screen controls on tablets and mobiles unless they are puzzle games.

I have a PS4 but that is for one game only nothing about modern gaming interests new. I can see me buying one of these just to play Mario and Zelda titles.

Thought the whole mobile and home console thing really differentiate it from the competition.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 18:27   #70
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
It's official: I've reached old age. That didn't muster a whiff of excitement.

Old 20-10-2016, 18:27   #71
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,228 Times in 876 Posts
Isn't "titles" a strong word, did the WiiU actually get an original Zelda game?
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 18:48   #72
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

It looks clever, but is presumably woefully underpowered compared to even Xbox One and PS4, never mind Scoprio and Pro.

Really only a purchase if you're desperate for handheld gaming.
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 19:29   #73
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brown View Post
It looks clever, but is presumably woefully underpowered compared to even Xbox One and PS4, never mind Scoprio and Pro.

Really only a purchase if you're desperate for handheld gaming.
We'll have to wait and see but plenty of people saying it'll do 1080p gaming at 60fps

Whether that means it can perform at that standard for 3rd party multi-platform titles or just the relatively less cutting edge Nintendo titles is still to be seen.
Old 20-10-2016, 19:46   #74

It's a Tegra so it nowhere near as powerful as a PS4 or Xbox One but you'd be mad to buy one for multi-platform games. It will be a Nintendo game playing machine like every other Nintendo console since the N64.

That doesn't mean it can't do 1080p60, the Wii U can but it's not going to compete on pure power with Sony or MS.

Last edited by ShakeyJake; 20-10-2016 at 19:47.
Old 20-10-2016, 19:49   #75
dmb6473a
Trusted User

This may work better for multi-platform games than the previous two Nintendo consoles, purely because of the handheld option.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 19:52   #76
JimDriver2
Trusted User

That to me is the first console that seems like a worthy companion to a gaming PC. Nintendo games and being portable is enough added value. The icing on the cake would be an app market with a browser, Netflix, Gmail etc.

£300 or less and I'm in. £200 would be a great deal.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
Old 20-10-2016, 19:54   #77
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

How powerful it is doesn't mean a thing. It's how many games and how good they are that's important.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 20:00   #78
Bish

I'm no real interest in a handheld console and if I'm honest the Wii U was a waste of money given how many hours I've spent using it.
Old 20-10-2016, 20:07   #79
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

A console being powerful doesn't really equate to better games, IMO as consoles have become powerful they have lost what makes them fun.

I really like the idea of a console that I can play on the big screen but can use as a portable and the fact that devs can make one game and sell to both demographics. It's a bold strategy and as said above if they can get some decent apps as well as a good browser this could be a killer seller.

What are the chances of the user interface side of things using Android to leverage the app ecosystem?

Oh and online must be done right this really is something they need to look at microsoft at how to do right.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 20:24   #80
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
A console being powerful doesn't really equate to better games, IMO as consoles have become powerful they have lost what makes them fun.

I really like the idea of a console that I can play on the big screen but can use as a portable and the fact that devs can make one game and sell to both demographics. It's a bold strategy and as said above if they can get some decent apps as well as a good browser this could be a killer seller.

What are the chances of the user interface side of things using Android to leverage the app ecosystem?

Oh and online must be done right this really is something they need to look at microsoft at how to do right.
I agree 100% with all of this.

Nintendo had to do something different as there is clearly no business sense in trying to compete with Sony and MS with another standard home console.

If it runs Android, even a forked one like the Amazon tablets, I think it could be a massive hit.

I'd buy one of these just to play Nintendo games (which I do miss a little having moved to PC gaming) and then use as a tablet when out and about. The fact it has Nvidia mobile tech would hopefully mean it should be easy to have an Android OS.

Eurogamer pointed out there's no indication of touch screen in the video but I think that's primarily because they needed to focus on the value of the portable and docking nature and how well that works.

I also really like it's just being announced in Oct and will be out in March 2017. All this waiting a year+ is rubbish.

Nintendo could be in with a comeback with this one...
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote