Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 30-04-2016, 04:20   #21
Shingster
Trusted User

I'd argue the Wii has been largely irrelevant for the past 6yrs, think it's only shifted around 20million units since Dec 2010. Nintendo are far from being a major player in the home console market right now, perhaps the NX can change that but if it's going to be anothe console based on Wii technology I don't see things changing for them, if there was interest in that then the Wii U would have been a hit.

Last edited by Shingster; 30-04-2016 at 04:22.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 05:33   #22
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,228 Times in 876 Posts
Maybe so, the point is their previous console was a massive success. Whilst the Wii U under performed, they're hardly in a massive downward spiral. I really cannot see them just becoming a developer for other consoles.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:15   #23
Shingster
Trusted User

Only if you judge the Wii based on sales alone, as a console it was ****! Does anyone here seriously consider it a success as a gaming platform? Good for exercising and party games, maybe, but outside of that you can count the number of games that were worth buying on the fingers of your own hands - heck, one hand if you discount anything Mario/Zelda.

Nintendo got lucky with the Wii, they found a gimmick that worked and could be marketed and sold to people who ordinarily wouldn't buy video games, but they have yet to produce a console that provides both a paradigm shift and a platform to launch games that appeal to proper gamers. Until they get that mix right then I will consider the modern Nintendo to be a failure when it comes to the home console market.

Last edited by Shingster; 30-04-2016 at 06:22.
Old 30-04-2016, 06:31   #24
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

It sold a lot, it was fun to play, I'd call it a success. I admit it didn't have the weekly releases of COD but it had some great games.

I'm not sure how you are judging success, but it doesn't seem to be on any real measure of success. Especially if you're using it to suggest they should just give up and bow down to Sony and MS.
Old 30-04-2016, 08:30   #25
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
The Wii was still a huge success after then as well
A success, Yes? But that was probably down to the price point. Nint couldn't compare in terms of graphics. The best thing I played on Wii was Just Dance and Guitar Hero. Both of which a friend had and we played when I stayed over at her Christmas 2010..

GoldenEye was supposed to be good but as said already the Wii was a family/ party machine not a serious gamer's machine.

The Wii hit £99 once while the Xbox+Kinect was still 300+ and PS roughly the same.

Having played on a friend's Kinect on the sport then it really was no contest.

Wii did well just like East End Al... They were 1st to market with the Tech..
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 08:33   #26
SPB
Balding Member

Nintendo NX to launch March 2017 with Zelda

Lucky or not it was definitely a success, it brought their version of gaming to an audience that traditional consoles/PC didn't - younger children, families and yes parties .

will they be able do it again, I too have my doubts!

I don't think anyone could claim the Wii is a serious gamer machine with a straight face. it was never meant to be though. in a different market segment altogether.

Last edited by SPB; 30-04-2016 at 08:35.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 22:14   #27
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I'm not sure how you are judging success, but it doesn't seem to be on any real measure of success. Especially if you're using it to suggest they should just give up and bow down to Sony and MS.
I'm a gamer so I judge a console's success based on the games library it serves as a platform for. The Nintendo Wii was an initally fun, groundbreaking but ultimately gimmicky console that sold massively and never amassed anything but a ****-poor library of games when you compare it to just about any other major home console, ergo as a gamer I consider it to be a failure.

Loads of **** things sell well and find huge commercial success, just because Nintendo produces something **** that sold monumentally well doesn't mean they're making any kind of valuable contribution to gaming. They produced a console that sold to people who weren't gamers, and because their userbase comprised mostly of casual gamers with no real appreciation for the medium, their next console (Wii U) dropped like a housebrick. It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots and figure out that the core demographic of loyal enthusiasts who will stay with you for the next generation wasn't there, that demographic was busy playing on their PC/PS4/Xbone.

Last edited by Shingster; 30-04-2016 at 22:21.
Old 01-05-2016, 00:02   #28
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The Wii players went off to phones and tablets rather than other consoles. Nowadays games are either safe AAA console games that are variations of previous hits or small indie games. That market in the middle where Nintendo live really isn't there anymore.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:37   #29
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I'm a gamer so I judge a console's success based on the games library it serves as a platform for. The Nintendo Wii was an initally fun, groundbreaking but ultimately gimmicky console that sold massively and never amassed anything but a ****-poor library of games when you compare it to just about any other major home console, ergo as a gamer I consider it to be a failure.

Loads of **** things sell well and find huge commercial success, just because Nintendo produces something **** that sold monumentally well doesn't mean they're making any kind of valuable contribution to gaming. They produced a console that sold to people who weren't gamers, and because their userbase comprised mostly of casual gamers with no real appreciation for the medium, their next console (Wii U) dropped like a housebrick. It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots and figure out that the core demographic of loyal enthusiasts who will stay with you for the next generation wasn't there, that demographic was busy playing on their PC/PS4/Xbone.
I'm not seeing the massive contribution of the other consoles tbh, just a bunch of sequels to FPS.

If you really believe the "views of Xbox fanboys" should be the defining measure of whether Nintendo (or indeed anyone) creates a new console, then you've got a slightly warped view of how these decisions are made.

As I said my views were in defence on whether Nintendo should stop making consoles due to their massive failure in the market.

However back on topic, I feel that it is the lack of software that let the WiiU down, I sold mine when I couldn't see a game on the horizon that excited me.

If third parties aren't going to litter it with naff sequels, then they really need to step up themselves with some games for it. No new Zelda game for the last one is a real IMO
Old 01-05-2016, 14:41   #30
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,026 Times in 452 Posts
The Wii was a success. while to some gamers "it wasn't due" to the fact it didn't have the games they wanted. Which is fair enough as there was loads of shovelware crap and party games.

I think nintendo saw the rise of tablets and took a chance with the wii-u but it really backed fired due to low specs and the wii gamer market was not interested in tablet controller as they liked the wii-mote. Also there was confusion about the wii-u controller when it was first shown at E3.

I guess there is other things like how backwards Nintendo online side is. Also some of the audience will just play on phones and tablets. I don't think its about "people wanting another FPS shooter space marine" as they dribble on
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 15:25   #31
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Eurogamer appear to have a scoop on what the NX will be...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...le-controllers

I'm too lazy to write the same thing in different words so will cut and paste over what I said on there. It's got me interested that's for sure.

After recently upgrading the graphics card in my PC there was no way I was buying a new home console. The only possible reason would be the slight chance of machine exclusives, and I managed fine this generation without any of them.

However as someone who grew up with Nintendo consoles since I moved on from the Wii in 2010 I have missed some of the Nintendo IP's, and the new Zelda looks good.

I'll be in the market for a new tablet soon-ish so if Nintendo allow an overlap with Android in some way I'll be very, very tempted by this.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 09:32   #32
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Carts and ARM Processors don't seem a recipe for third party support.

The X1 is a good chip but both the PS4 and Xbox One take a dump on it from a great height and they are hardly power houses to begin with.

All Nintendo needed to do was build a X86 based machine that had Nintendo first party support as well as strong online services and play and they would have had attracted all the third party support they could dream of
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 09:48   #33
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,192 Posts
I'm not surprised as I've been saying they'll do a Wii U Gamepad but in reverse. I did think it'd be more of a chromecast style thing though but the dock makes more sense in terms of power/battery.

The massively different architecture does make 3rd party support a problem though I think. Unless it sells millions fast I can see it going the same way as Wii U did.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 09:51   #34

I think this is a wait and see for me. Nothing about the rumoured hardware appeals to me but I'm sure I'll still buy one for the Marios and Zeldas.
Old 27-07-2016, 12:37   #35
JimDriver2
Trusted User

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me.

I can see the argument about just going the same route as Sony and MS and making the NX a standard home machine, but there's actually a lot of risk there. First you're banking on the market being able to support 4 main gaming alternatives (PC being the other) which it hasn't yet. The Wii occupied a different market space to PS3 & 360. I don't think it's happened yet and it's hard to see it happening when Sony and MS already have a massive head start.

Then you need to factor in another couple of big things. First the next generation is a clear shift in model with both Sony and MS trying to change the whole way console generations work. Second Nintendo will need to properly work with 3rd party devs and publishers to be an equal to the others. That's something they've never really done, last time I can think of when 3rd parties flocked to Nintendo machines was the SNES! I had an N64, a GC and a Wii and there was only a handful of non-Nintendo titles across them. Plus I don't think Nintendo's heart is ever really in courting 3rd party publishers like Sony and MS. Finally the tablet / mobile market is still big hard to predict factor. It seems to be slowing down a little and it of course was what took a massive chunk out of the Wii's user base.

I think Nintendo is doubling down on the convenience, flexibility and mobile factors. If they could deliver something that hits all of those bang on it could be a huge success. I reckon it would need to be a tablet that's around £250, roughly as powerful as the PS4, have all the Nintendo IP games, be connected into the Android ecosystem (chiefly have access to everything Google Play offers) and then offer a play anywhere system (ideal for kids, who can play on their TV and away from home) to capitalise on what Pokemon Go shows can done.

If I was Google I'd be biting Nintendo's hand off to have them be the major Games element behind Google Play.

The key thing is I think Nintendo have decided to zig when everyone else is zagging. That's because quite frankly trying to do the same as Sony and MS is just as risky.
Old 27-07-2016, 12:38   #36
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Hmm, still very much a wait and see. That said, I'm pretty much sold on any kind of Nintendo handheld since I've played both my DS and 3DS to death, probably more so than any of the big home consoles.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:53   #37

I'd love to be wrong about this but it just seems to me that as a portable console it's going to be compromised to make it big enough for home use and as a home console it will be compromised to make it portable. I don't want to be using tiny portable controls while sitting in front of my TV, and I don't want to carry round a full sized controller in my pocket.
Old 27-07-2016, 14:26   #38
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,682 Times in 568 Posts
Well the WiiU controllers seemed a pretty decent size.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 14:36   #39

I wouldn't exactly call it portable
Old 27-07-2016, 14:44   #40
JimDriver2
Trusted User

What definitely would be true is that the margin for error on this would be minuscule. They can't do an MS and muck up the announcement like the XB1 and then fight their way back into it. If after the very first announcement there aren't masses of people fully convinced and ready to buy it then it's over. It's got to be more of a sure fire hit than the Wii, people weren't really convinced about that at announcement but it built up a head of steam. The Wii U was a conceptual mistake from the get go.

They need to nail every aspect this. It can't just be a portable console that you've the option to cast to your home TV, and it can't be a home console that is clunky to carry about.

My thought would be, going from the pictures on Eurogamer, it should have a 'cover' that doubles as a stand and somewhere the controllers can be snapped into, so you can carry it around as kind of a chunk tablet. Then when playing at home those controllers should snap into a bigger controller to allow proper game control.