Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 17-02-2019, 11:16   #21
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
The first episode of Weird City certainly lived up to its title, but I liked it a lot.

Gave up on I Am the Night. Liked all the Chris Pine bits. Got bored with the rest of it.

Proven Innocent, about lawyers getting innocent people out of prison is remarkably similar to the Hayley Atwell vehicle Conviction, only slightly gritter & nowhere near as watchable. Given that got canned after a brief run, you wonder why they bothered making the same show again with a different cast. Even Kelsey Grammar couldn't liven it up.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:11   #22
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

umbrella academy and doom patrol now up and running. Not had chance to watch them yet though. Both different takes on the superhero genre.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 20:45   #23
Listy
Hello meatball

I thought Doom Patrol was great, very promising start!
Listy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 21:50   #24
Wooglie
Rurouni

The acid episode of Deadly Class was great and I'm about five episodes through Umbrella Academy and I'm enjoying it.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 16:43   #25
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Nightflyers has been cancelled.
Ho hum.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 10:26   #26
aprout
worn to perfection

The first episode of Miracle Workers starring Daniel Radcliffe as a lowly worker in Heaven trying to answer prayers was quirky but good fun. & it's hard not to like a show that casts Steve Buscemi as God.
Old 26-02-2019, 10:33   #27
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

First episode of Whiskey Cavalier was mildly entertaining, fast-moving & action-packed, but ultimately lightweight & silly. Lauren Cohan is very easy on the eye & Scott Foley is trying his best to be Tom Cruise in the IM movies, but he falls short in all departments.

I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if any chemistry develops between the leads...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 15:54   #28
TonyG

First episode of The Enemy Within was better than expected as on paper, it just sounded like The Black List with the genders reversed. The direction from Arlington Road's Mark Pellington was above average for a TV show & there was a couple of interesting twists in the storyline. Obviously, being a network show, they'll drag the story out & ruin it, but for now, it did enough to keep me tuned in...
Old 28-02-2019, 09:06   #29
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Finished Umbrella Academy. Best thing I've watched in a long time. Highly recommend it.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:18   #30
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
First episode of The Enemy Within was better than expected as on paper, it just sounded like The Black List with the genders reversed. The direction from Arlington Road's Mark Pellington was above average for a TV show & there was a couple of interesting twists in the storyline. Obviously, being a network show, they'll drag the story out & ruin it, but for now, it did enough to keep me tuned in...
Thought it was very poor myself. The acting from both the leads was terrible, especially Jennifer Carpenter, & the only real surprise for me was they didn't wait ten episodes before revealing the 'gigantic twist' of

Whiskey Cavalier was utter fluff, but it was fun & didn't take itself remotely seriously. & if they keep putting Lauren Cohan in slinky outfits, I'm there.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:25   #31
TonyG

Hmmm, second episode of The Enemy Within was bland and already you can see the repetitive weekly template kicking in. I'll give it a couple more but don't have much confidence...

The Passage continues to plod along & still hasn't come close to reaching the quality level of the novel it's based on. Double-length episode next week to finish the season. Fingers-crossed they have the balls to do the massive game-changing thing that the book did...
Old 06-03-2019, 12:54   #32
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
The first episode of Miracle Workers starring Daniel Radcliffe as a lowly worker in Heaven trying to answer prayers was quirky but good fun. & it's hard not to like a show that casts Steve Buscemi as God.
I've been keeping up with this. So far it is a nice humourous 30 minute show to watch each week. It is only a short run show anyway.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:58   #33
Kryten
Administrator

Has anyone watched The Widow (Amazon Prime here). Stars Kate Beckinsale. I think it will be on ITV in the UK eventually? So far I am enjoying it. Worried it may just go down the typical rabbit hole of shows like this though.
Old 06-03-2019, 14:29   #34
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Hmmm, second episode of The Enemy Within was bland and already you can see the repetitive weekly template kicking in. I'll give it a couple more but don't have much confidence...
Yep, the first episode was rubbish, but the second was even worse. They clearly have no faith in the audience remembering who any of the characters are as they keep putting up MASSIVE name credits whenever someone enters a room. & That injured woman? Shall we debrief her? Nah, she's still recovering. By all means let her hang around all the important meetings though & don't bother asking her who she's constantly texting...

Also, the whole premise for Jennifer Carpenter's character makes absolutely no sense to me. She'd rather go to prison for the rest of her life than tell anyone that she only gave up the names because her daughter's life was threatened by a terrorist. I get not wanting to put that weight on her daughter, but surely she could have mentioned it to someone to get a deal or lighten her sentence?

Anyhoo, 'tis all bobbins. I won't be bothering with episode 3.
Old 06-03-2019, 14:35   #35
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
Has anyone watched The Widow (Amazon Prime here). Stars Kate Beckinsale. I think it will be on ITV in the UK eventually? So far I am enjoying it. Worried it may just go down the typical rabbit hole of shows like this though.
Watched the first episode. Love Kate Beckinsale, but it didn't grab me at all. Her mission to find her long lost husband seemed to hinge on her believing there's only one orange trucker cap on the planet.
Old 06-03-2019, 15:06   #36
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Also, the whole premise for Jennifer Carpenter's character makes absolutely no sense to me. She'd rather go to prison for the rest of her life than tell anyone that she only gave up the names because her daughter's life was threatened by a terrorist. I get not wanting to put that weight on her daughter, but surely she could have mentioned it to someone to get a deal or lighten her sentence?
I 100% agree it makes absolutely no sense, so I just assumed that she either lied about this or that there is more to what happened, that she is not revealing for whatever reason?!?

Your decision to dump it is a wise one, but I'm stupid enough to hang in there for a couple more....
Old 12-03-2019, 19:11   #37
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
We finished the season this week. I liked it, stayed fairly good but a little disappointing towards the end at times. A solid 7/10 from me

. No idea if there is a way for them to do a second season or not, will be interesting to see.
Old 24-03-2019, 08:42   #38
Rob
Indie Author

Watched all 10 episodes of The Passage over the last week or so. I really enjoyed it; I'm a big fans of the books, and I was worried about whether they'd lose what makes them great, but so far it's been well handled.

Anybody who's read the books knows that the first has a definite split around one-third of the way though. From memory, I think this section was about 250 pages, and when reading it, I thought it was one of the best pieces of speculative fiction that I'd read. It's got the reasons for what happens, the start in South American is superb and best of all, the relationship between Wolgast and Amy was an enthralling read.

The decision to make Series 1 about this first part of book one was correct, so what we get is the mounting tension about what's going to happen and we see Wolgast and Amy form the bond that made the book great. Plus, we get that payoff, setting up the next series beautifully (should it appear).

Yes, there were changes from the book, but I don't think that any of them had a negative impact. I thought that making Babcock a Woman and the storyline with Richards worked well.

Hopefully they'll get a second series because there's plenty of strong material to go at.
Old 25-03-2019, 21:48   #39
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,355 Times in 1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
I thought Doom Patrol was great, very promising start!
Just watched the first episode. Certainly kept my attention (also always great to see Brendan Fraiser and Timothy Dalton).
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:39   #40
aprout
worn to perfection

Enjoyed the first two episodes of Jordan Peele's reboot of The Twilight Zone.

The first stars Kumail Nanjiani as a comedian doing whatever it takes to succeed. At just under an hour it's probably a bit too long for the story they're telling, but pilot episodes always seem to do that.

The second is a new twist on the classic episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, starring Adam Scott as the paranoid plane passenger. Very nicely done.

From the trailer at the end, they've got a fair number of big names involved. Looking forward to seeing the rest.