Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 31-07-2019, 13:14   #881
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Watched the first episode. It's very good, head and shoulders above any other Superhero show.
We've watched three now, really enjoying it, agree with what you say, really like the different take on superheros and a dark sense of humour
Old 02-09-2019, 13:05   #882
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Instinct cancelled. Pity. I was enjoying it, even if it got a bit bogged down in the relationship stuff in season 2.

A few more new (ish) series:

Four Weddings and a Funeral is exec-produced by Richard Curtis, but has basically zero connection to the film of the same name apart from there are some weddings, a funeral, & one character has slightly floppy hair. Andie MacDowell turned up for one episode, but didn't seem to be playing the same character so I'm not entirely sure what the point was. Anyway, it's about four Americans living in London, falling in & out of love & occasionally having low-tension work troubles. The cast isn't bad, but all the characters feel like someone's watched the vacuous pretty people on Made in Chelsea & thought 'These people are AWESOME, but what if they were from the US?'. & if you thought Curtis' take on the British class system in his movies was a fantasy, wait till you see the supporting characters in this. Wow. Just, Wow. It's watchable enough fluff, but without the title cache I can't imagine it would have gotten past a pilot episode.

Brassic, created by & starring This Is England's Joe Gilgun is about a bunch of cheeky chappie petty criminals trying to get by in the North. It's very reminiscent of the Lock Stock TV show from way back, but still highly entertaining & very funny in places. Gilgun's excellent as ever, Dominic West pops up regularly as his useless doctor & Michelle Keegan fans will be very pleased by her first scene in the opening episode.

Pennyworth, set in post-war London, is about the young life of the man who would become Batman's butler. It's slick & quite stylish, but also equal parts entertaining & incredibly irritating. The action stuff is well put together & the leads are solid, but all the bits with Paloma Faith(!) as an insane henchwoman made me want to kick the TV in.

The Righteous Gemstones, about a family of uber-rich, corrupt televangelists is created by Danny McBride, who stars alongside John Goodman, Adam DeVine & Walton Goggins. The hour-long pilot episode felt a little drawn out, but the rest of it has been great stuff so far & well worth a look if you're a fan of McBride's other TV work.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 13:20   #883
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
3 episodes into Space Idiots (sorry, Another Life) & I can only agree with the Prometheus crew comparisons. Aside from Captain Katee, there's no way these squabbling children would be allowed anywhere near a spaceship, let alone sent on a mission that impacts the entire human race.

Sometimes I wonder if the Netflix budget is like Scrooge McDuck's vault & they just don't know what to do with it all. Their business model of just doing an entire season without bothering to look at a pilot is why we get stuff like this.

Speaking of terrible sci-fi, the CW brings us Pandora, or Beverly Hills 9021Space. Cheap, cheesy & utterly rubbish. Lord knows how it made it to air, much less got a series.

There's so much wrong with it it's hard to know where to start, but this review sums it up quite perfectly:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/cws-pandora-...ent-1836322467

I can only concur! I made it through all of Another Life but the casting in particular really was terrible. That awful crew of whiny children wouldn't be allowed to take charge of a doughnut stall, let alone as the last, best hope of mankind.

I lasted 30mins into Pandora before my expectations that it was glossy, shallow drivel were confirmed.
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:19   #884
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Anyone watching Carnival Row on Prime?

I am interested in hearing some real reviews.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22   #885
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Anyone watching Carnival Row on Prime?

I am interested in hearing some real reviews.

I quite like it. The negative reviews call it a bit dreary with leaden lead actors and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with some of that.

But it looks great and I like the world they're trying to build (I'm only three episodes in) so I'm sticking with it.

And I'm not one really for the whole 'fairy fantasy' genre but as this has more of a dark edge to it, I can kind of overlook it for the most part.
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:52   #886
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Thanks. I'll give it a go once I finish Dark Crystal. Keep the fairy fantasy going and all that.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 14:41   #887
Blokie13
Trusted User

I'm really enjoying Carnival Row so far (4 episodes in). I'm also not generally a massive fan of the fantasy genre, but this has been really good.

The sound is absolutely top notch, particularly if you have a good sub as it gives it a cracking workout!
Blokie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:59   #888
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
If you can find it, State of the Union from the Sundance Channel is a little gem. ‎

Written by Nick Hornby & directed by Stephen Frears, it features Rosamund Pike & Chris O'Dowd as a married couple going to counseling following an affair & each episode is a conversation between them in the pub before their weekly session.

At just ten 10-minute episodes it's all too brief, but the performances & writing are excellent. Highly recommended.

A quick heads up - this is starting on BBC2 on Sunday night at 10pm. Looks like they'll be showing 2 episodes a week.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:12   #889
Blokie13
Trusted User

Finished Carnival Row last night - really enjoyed the whole series, and hopefully they'll be making a second.
Blokie13 is offline   Reply With Quote