Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 09:13   #1
Tempest
Trusted User

Fast charge vs Slow charge - Long term battery health

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this topic?

I have two phones, generally similarish but with very different charging scenarios. Both have the official charger, one takes many hours to charge up fully, the other, perhaps 2 for a full charge, using the official quick/turbo charger that's made for it.

I have read two lines of thinking here:

1: Charging slower is better long term for the battery, it's more gentle to it, less stress, and the preferable option.

2: Charging faster with a higher current is better as, in reality it's the heat from charging that is what damages the battery, so a long slow charge, whilst "seeming gentle" is actually worse for the battery long term as it's "on charge" for many hours longer. So, an OFFICIAL fast charger is better.

Anyone care to comment on what they understand on this topic?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:44   #2
mburton2
Trusted User

Following out of interest...

but to Add:

What about Wireless charging?...My Samsung has an added wireless charger between the Battery & the cover.....Charging seems to be limited to about 650ma...BUT the coil &/or battery gets quite hot. When I was in a Samsung repair centre earlier int he year, I asked the guy, as an a-side, if this could damage the useful life of the battery...
"the jury is out on that one" was his reply :-/

I also have a "Chinese" phone, with built-in wireless charging....also limited to about 650ma.....but this one doesnt get warm at all when charging...Odd.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:54   #3
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,207 Times in 853 Posts
I always use an ipad charger for me phone, it does it pretty quick and I've never noticed the battery being an issue. Hard to judge unless someone is prepared to do a proper test.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:08   #4
Tempest
Trusted User

I have been temped to buy a Wireless Pad myself, even today a special offer I almost clicked BUY.
But I have read a few bits about it taking a fair amount longer charging this way, and both chargers and phones getting pretty warm over this longer length of time, and just hints that this may not be THAT great.

Hence other bits I read that, connect, charge quickly (battery warm for couple of hours) then finished, whilst, as humans we tend to feel it's worse, it may be better than a slower charge that heats up the battery for a lot longer time.

Seems it's open to debate, using the official supplied charger often seems to be the advice top of the list.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:51   #5
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,511 Times in 479 Posts
Wireless charging does take a bit longer than my Turbo charger. But then again I only have to place the phone down, rather than fiddle about with plugging the cable in.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:25   #6
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

Hence other bits I read that, connect, charge quickly (battery warm for couple of hours) then finished, whilst, as humans we tend to feel it's worse, it may be better than a slower charge that heats up the battery for a lot longer time.
Perhaps they're both right and in the end, it makes no difference?
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:48   #7
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Wireless charging does take a bit longer than my Turbo charger. But then again I only have to place the phone down, rather than fiddle about with plugging the cable in.
Yes, that is a nice plus.
There is talk about a long distance wireless charge (talk in the apple forums about this also) if we are really that close to this being a reality or not I don't know.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:41   #8
stephen
Trusted User

The law of conservation of sorrow seems to apply to most things, so if you charge faster it's probably at the expense of battery life.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 13:04   #9
Tempest
Trusted User

Recently I've read that to get the best batter life, you only charge to about 80%

Can't recall without a google, but I think it was something like, drop to 20% then charge up to 80% if you want the best battery life long term.

Must admit, I tend to let it get pretty low then charge up full, but I don't leave it on at full or leave overnight, I put on charge early evening, then take off charge when it's full about 2 hours later (bit of a guess) but it's not THAT long.
Old 04-09-2016, 14:03   #10
Toge
North London is red

dont use fast charge all the time as heat decreases the batteries lifespan. apart from dont don't baby it - your battery will wear out anyway, no need to baby it.
Old 04-09-2016, 14:15   #11
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I think I read that the battery doesn't care to be left plugged in overnight, so getting it to 80% or so is about right. That being said it should last 500 full charges before it degrades to 80% of it's own original power, so to be honest if you change it every two years, is it going to be a massive issue?
Old 04-09-2016, 21:45   #12
Tempest
Trusted User

I just recall that Heat is THE No.1 enemy of batteries, charging makes the battery heat up.

So I presume there is some debate regards is is better to have more heat for a short time, and get it over with, or say a lower heat over perhaps 3x as long.

I'm sure there is more to find out from those who REALLY know.

I do know, if you have a laptop, and it's running on mains, the ideal was to take the dam thing out of the laptop, and only charge to around 80%, not fully charged, if you wanted the keep your battery in the best condition.

The overnight charge, even with modern tech I can't see as good really.
So it's fully charged by lets say 2am, then it spends the next 5? hours being trickle topped up when it drops a tiny bit.

Far better if the charger simply stopped dead when the battery got to 100% (perhaps)

Almost everywhere that talks about battery life says not to use wireless charging.
Think because it makes the battery hotter and it takes longer, so the worst of both worlds.

Last edited by Tempest; 04-09-2016 at 21:48.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:37   #13
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I'm sure my Dyson charger does exactly that, as does my drill charger
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20   #14
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I'm sure my Dyson charger does exactly that, as does my drill charger
Indeed, one would think that, it will charge up to 100%, perhaps carry on for a tiny bit after that, then shut down, only kicking in again if the battery drops to a pre-set lower point, 90% ? 95% ?

I know there are many controls in place to look after the battery if you just leave it on charge, but never seen any real detail on it
Old 05-09-2016, 17:08   #15
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Even from an environmental perspective you think they'd be complaining to get all chargers to be like that