Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 27-08-2018, 21:45   #4021
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
Spurs didn't look half bad for a team that never invested a penny on the squad in the summer
It's a bit of a worry isn't it - though Rose looked very suspect to me.

Having said that, United really should have been at least 2-0 up at HT. That Lukaku miss was
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 21:47   #4022
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
It's a bit of a worry isn't it - though Rose looked very suspect to me.

Having said that, United really should have been at least 2-0 up at HT. That Lukaku miss was
Spurs should have had a penalty first half
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 01:58   #4023
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,511 Times in 479 Posts
Mourinho is a busted flush nowadays I'm afraid. Living off past glories to justify himself. The way he set that team up last night was nonsense. I don't think half the team knew where they were supposed to be playing. Mourinho has spent plenty of money for little improvement in the first XI. How Phil Jones still gets game is a mystery.

In a wider sense, nearly £700m spent since Fergie retired, and if I was a Utd fan I'd take virtually all those players back then over these now. De Gea, Matic, Lukaku and maybe Valencia are about it from now. Shocking really.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 06:13   #4024
jpig
Trusted User

Huge sums of money have gone out to buy very average players, many of whom look terrified in a United shirt.

I hate the way we play and I hate the constant drama from the manager but I've not idea who would come in and improve is at this moment so I think he needs to have a chance to fix it.

Can we not just field an attacking 442 one match and just go and have a go at a team? What's the worst that can happen in current circumstances?
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 06:26   #4025
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post

In a wider sense, nearly £700m spent since Fergie retired, and if I was a Utd fan I'd take virtually all those players back then over these now. De Gea, Matic, Lukaku and maybe Valencia are about it from now. Shocking really.
Fergie bought De Gea, Valencia and Jones.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 28-08-2018, 07:44   #4026
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,207 Times in 853 Posts
The purchasing is a real mystery, why buy attacking players like Pogba when all you want to do is park the bus?

I'm guessing some of the players wanted, probably didn't want to play in Manchester or in this system, I don't think the likes of Pogba are increasing their stock playing.

He's clearly gone in the next few games, he's just in the odd situation that they don't really want to sack him (like others have been happy to do) and he certainly won't resign.

Who will replace him? Zidane seems the only real candidate, is he the guy for the job? Is he the one to turn around a team, is there more issues here than them just playing badly? Is this squad good enough?

In all honesty, you need Sam Allardyce.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:51   #4027
MICON
Trusted User

'If' we had good strikers, & had scored three or four goals in the first half, & if we had a good defence, & maybe, let in just one, or perhaps two goals at most, the same game would have looked very different. As good as Spurs are, their heads would probably have dropped a tad. I have no idea why we have not gone out, over the last five years & bought top & I mean TOP strikers. They were there, most teams around us & other leagues seem to have bought them. As for our defence.................
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:58   #4028
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
The purchasing is a real mystery, why buy attacking players like Pogba when all you want to do is park the bus?
Mourinho didn't buy Pogba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
In all honesty, you need Sam Allardyce.
**** off

Old 28-08-2018, 08:14   #4029
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Hey if you want dreary football but to win a few games, you want the master!
Old 28-08-2018, 08:51   #4030
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Mourinho didn't buy Pogba
Really ? Who did then ?
Old 28-08-2018, 09:04   #4031
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
'If' we had good strikers, & had scored three or four goals in the first half, & if we had a good defence, & maybe, let in just one, or perhaps two goals at most, the same game would have looked very different. As good as Spurs are, their heads would probably have dropped a tad. I have no idea why we have not gone out, over the last five years & bought top & I mean TOP strikers. They were there, most teams around us & other leagues seem to have bought them. As for our defence.................

Who has bought a top striker? How long has Aguero been at City? Arsenal don’t have better strikers than us, Morata or Giroud at Chelsea? Kane is obviously home grown, Firmino at Liverpool is fantastic but certainly wasn’t a really top striker when they bought him.

There are very few top strikers around unfortunately. Who could we have bought?

Lukaku is by no means a great striker, but he’s about the best we could actually have bought in the last couple of years.

Our defence is just an embarrassment, as is our failed winger/ captain.

If we play like we did in the first half and stop our silly mistakes (easy thing to say), we will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-08-2018, 09:21   #4032
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

There are very few top strikers around, you've done well to get Lukaku. Aside from that everyone is in demand, even young kids are going for stupid potential money.

When they become available or rumoured to, the destination is Real Madrid.
Old 28-08-2018, 09:42   #4033
MaxNutter

Quote:
Really ? Who did then ?
He's a Woodward signing. Negotiations were under way before LVG left.
Sure, Mourinho was there when Pogba finally joined, but the transfer was already underway before he took over.

Hence all the ******* #Pogback marketing.

From the rest of the squad, José has signed Lindelöf, Bailly, Sánchez, Lukaku, Grant (a reserve keeper), Fred, Dalot (a future (injured) defender), Matić.

Mata, Martial, Herrera, Rojo, Romero, Shaw, Fellaini, Darmian are all Moyes or LVG signings.

Jones, Smalling, Young, Valencia are from Fergie's time (basically a complete defence).

Rashford, Lingard, Pereira, McTominay are all former youth team players.

Of those 'previous' players, I'd keep the youth lot, plus Mata and Shaw, maybe Herrera. The rest aren't good enough / past it.

He's done a good job clearing out some of the dead wood (although he ****** up keeping Fellaini), and has probably overpaid on some of his signings, but maybe that's the current market.

There's a major rebuild needed. Fergie left 5 years ago(?) and we still have four defenders in the squad? Who do other top teams have from that long ago? Kompany at City, who else?

Alderweireld was the best defender on the pitch last night. Ironic.
Old 28-08-2018, 10:17   #4034
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

He does seem to be doing his best to get sacked, all the media stuff is just part of the whole package. I guess they'll give him one more game.
Old 28-08-2018, 10:47   #4035
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

There is not a chance that Mourinho wasn't happy for the club to sign Pogba. No sane manager joins a club that has just spent half his transfer budget on a player he didn't want
Old 28-08-2018, 10:52   #4036
MaxNutter

Quote:
There is not a chance that Mourinho wasn't happy for the club to sign Pogba. No sane manager joins a club that has just spent half his transfer budget on a player he didn't want
Agreed, but it's not the same as say, Lukaku or Matic, which were 100% his choices.

I've no problem if they sack Mourinho, things aren't going well enough and he appears to have lost at least part of the dressing room, but he's only a part of the problem and it's debatable that he's the key part.

We could quite easily be in the same position in a year or two, having the same sort of discussion.
Old 28-08-2018, 11:57   #4037
jpig
Trusted User

I'd agree with that. If we sack him, where do we go? A new manager comes in with the same crap players still floating around, at least Jose has made headway with some of the Deadwood. His signings have been pretty crap though, do we even know where Sanchez fits in yet?

Shaw the best player in the team last night. So Jose can take credit for that, just wish he'd do all this silly media crap more quietly.

Any thoughts on Martial not being in the squad? I think he's been really poor when he's had chances, sure he's got potential but we need finished products at the moment, would sooner give Rashford more chances and wave bye bye to sulky Frenchmen. One in the squad is enough
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:05   #4038
MaxNutter

Martial is coming across as having an ego and attitude like Pogba. The latter has won the World Cup and titles in Italy, the former hasn't.

He was erratic at best under LVG, so it's not all down to José.

The board need to give the decisions to the manager (or future director of football) and concentrate on other things.

The fact he didn't go in the summer just undermines Mourinho even more.

Last edited by MaxNutter; 28-08-2018 at 12:06.
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:20   #4039
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

The fact that they clearly had no better option and gave him the new contract, pretty much advantage Jose straight off.

As to where you go? You need someone to come in and try and get better out of what is already there.

Maybe some sort of fan favourite? Not sure which of the former players is actually doing a decent job?

Ryan Giggs? Ole Gunner?
Old 28-08-2018, 15:44   #4040
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstu View Post
Who has bought a top striker? How long has Aguero been at City? Arsenal don’t have better strikers than us, Morata or Giroud at Chelsea? Kane is obviously home grown, Firmino at Liverpool is fantastic but certainly wasn’t a really top striker when they bought him.

There are very few top strikers around unfortunately. Who could we have bought?

Lukaku is by no means a great striker, but he’s about the best we could actually have bought in the last couple of years.

Our defence is just an embarrassment, as is our failed winger/ captain.

If we play like we did in the first half and stop our silly mistakes (easy thing to say), we will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what you are saying, but SAF left us five years ago & we should have built up or bought a couple of top strikers by now. The problem with the first half was we didn't score, not for the first time, so we won't "be OK" unless we start scoring not only easy chances, (as we had last night) but also harder ones. I just don't see it with many of our present players.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote