Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 25-01-2018, 08:43   #3301
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Can't argue with that. But I would add that people were throwing their toys out of the pram and getting apoplectic when we signed David Silva & Yaya Toure for £24M each. So, whilst you've got him for free, you got to expect some people to moan about the fact that you may be paying in £300K or £400K a week.

My view is that a club should be able to spend what it wants, regardless of where it comes from and has been pointed out, many criticised City for doing it to play catch up and now United are doing it ......... and City have made the stand because for the most part, our model is now based on paying money for younger prospects.
Ha Ha Ha ha, only a deluded city or chelsea fan could come up with that one. What a load of RUBBISH. city has never earnt the right to buy a donkey, let alone the mercenaries that give you a false position in the premier league. United are not caching up with anyone, they have made deals based on the income generated by the club. city made a stand.... GIVE ME A BREAK. Ha Ha Ha ha.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:13   #3302
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,207 Times in 853 Posts
Quote:
Can't argue with that. But I would add that people were throwing their toys out of the pram and getting apoplectic when we signed David Silva & Yaya Toure for £24M each. So, whilst you've got him for free, you got to expect some people to moan about the fact that you may be paying in £300K or £400K a week.

My view is that a club should be able to spend what it wants, regardless of where it comes from and has been pointed out, many criticised City for doing it to play catch up and now United are doing it ......... and City have made the stand because for the most part, our model is now based on paying money for younger prospects.
This! When people you to cry about teams buying success such as City, Chelsea, Blackburn, people used to say it was ruining the game, all it seems is what they really wanted was for their own team to get a sugardaddy or at least someone good at getting the bank to extend the overdraft.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:21   #3303
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
This! When people you to cry about teams buying success such as City, Chelsea, Blackburn, people used to say it was ruining the game, all it seems is what they really wanted was for their own team to get a sugardaddy or at least someone good at getting the bank to extend the overdraft.
We have whatever the opposite of a "rich sugar daddy" is.

It's not just opposition fans who don't like the City / Chelsea / Blackburn model, that's why they tried FFP.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:05   #3304
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
Ha Ha Ha ha, only a deluded city or chelsea fan could come up with that one. What a load of RUBBISH. city has never earnt the right to buy a donkey, let alone the mercenaries that give you a false position in the premier league. United are not caching up with anyone, they have made deals based on the income generated by the club. city made a stand.... GIVE ME A BREAK. Ha Ha Ha ha.
Not deluded at all. Our commercial revenues are up there with the best in the world (not that I'm bothered either way, it's what happens on the pitch that counts). Your club have commercial deals for "the official noodle of...", "the official drinks partner of ...", "the official outboard motor of ...." etc [I'm not making this up by the way] which is rock-all to do with football.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:21   #3305
MaxNutter

Quote:
Not deluded at all. Our commercial revenues are up there with the best in the world (not that I'm bothered either way, it's what happens on the pitch that counts). Your club have commercial deals for "the official noodle of...", "the official drinks partner of ...", "the official outboard motor of ...." etc [I'm not making this up by the way] which is rock-all to do with football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Evening News
The £265m investment from Chinese consortium CMC has helped - but so has a move to associate themselves with an array of partners from around the world - ranging from an energy efficient lighting company, also in China, to a Bermudan mobile network.
Others are less obvious - Veqta, an over-the-top digital network based in Delhi.

The recent announcement of their partnership with world-leading consumer robotics company, UBTECH ROBOTICS CORP, stood out not least because of the plan to use robots to enhance the match-going experience for fans.
City’s partners:

Aabar, Arabtec, Astra, Betsafe, Digicel, EA SPORTS, Etihad, Etisalat, First Gulf Bank, Hays, Healthpoint, Heineken, Jiwasraya, LG, Nexen, Nike, Nissan, Pak Lighting, PZ Cussons, QNET, SAP, SHB Bank, Soccerworld, Star Beer, TCA Abu Dhabi, Tecate, Tempobet, UBTECH, Veqta, Vitality, Wega, Wix, Whaley Technology, Wolf Blass.
Yes, some in there are Football related, but other have "rock-all to do with it".

How much has the Sheik spent on City since he bought it (not including the purchase cost)? And by "spent" I mean out of his own pocket, after profits etc.?

It's one thing to be profitable now, which is commendable, but I'm sure you'd have failed FFP rules for at least a couple of seasons out of the last ten.

There's also the question of sponsorship deals for naming rights on a stadium you don't own, but that's up to the city council, and as long as they are happy then fair enough.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:32   #3306
Rob
Indie Author

I know we are in the same boat with sponsorship that has nothing to do with football - that was exactly the point I was trying to make. City are no different to United in that respect. Much of United's income comes from commercial partners and fans around the world, so does City's. Yes, United have been better at it for longer than City and we needed a massive cash injection to catch up, but that's exactly how big business works - and football is big business these days. Again - this is the point that I was trying to make.

MICON says that I'm deluded - but that's not the case - I know exactly what's happening. The people who are deluded are those that think that clubs should just spend match-day revenue!

I honestly don't know the figures that the Sheik has spent - I'm sure he's at a loss, but he and his group are attempting something on a scale that's never been done before - a group of football clubs across all continents. It stands to reason that this won't come cheap.

But just to sum up my main point - I care about what happens on the pitch with City, and I'd say that it's going pretty well at the moment.

Last edited by Rob; 25-01-2018 at 12:33.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:59   #3307
MICON
Trusted User

Enjoy it while you can, just as Armstrong had his' titles' taken away, it will happen once the filth in fifa, & our own FA are gone. Drugs help win, blood money taking a non winning club to winning others prizes, are one & the same. Cheating.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 15:35   #3308
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:

They didn't get Sanchez for free ... or if they did they made a massive loss on Micky.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 15:37   #3309
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
They didn't get Sanchez for free ... or if they did they made a massive loss on Micky.
true, but they didn't "pay" for him either.

weren't City offering cash?
Old 25-01-2018, 15:48   #3310
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
true, but they didn't "pay" for him either.

weren't City offering cash?
Yes.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 17:04   #3311
MaxNutter

José has signed his contract extension.
Old 25-01-2018, 17:09   #3312
nutter45
burninator

Good time to make some unreasonable demands of the board and get sacked
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 19:14   #3313
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Quote:
José has signed his contract extension.
Seriously? Is nobody else available? He seemed to be starting his three month meltdown to getting sacked
Old 25-01-2018, 19:29   #3314
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Seriously? Is nobody else available? He seemed to be starting his three month meltdown to getting sacked
Obviously he's happier with the way things have gone over the last week or so
Old 26-01-2018, 00:06   #3315
jpig
Trusted User

If they can fix DDG asap to stop the boring World Cup talk that's bound to happen, I'd be happy with that for January, to be honest. We're not catching City and I think we're good enough to get top 3/4 with the squad we've got.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 00:12   #3316
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
If they can fix DDG asap to stop the boring World Cup talk that's bound to happen, I'd be happy with that for January, to be honest. We're not catching City and I think we're good enough to get top 3/4 with the squad we've got.
TBH, I'd hope we could hold second place at worst. We've been patchy at times, but then so have Liverpool and Chelsea. Can't see anyone outside them overhauling us.

But yes, sort DDG out please. Or RM sign Courtois.
Old 26-01-2018, 07:00   #3317
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I'd say it was more of who was going to make a charge for second rather than whether you can hold on, nobody looks like challenging you really. I think you'll be fine
Old 26-01-2018, 10:24   #3318
MaxNutter

City looking to sign Laporte, wonder if the media will break down the transfer and give the total cost (like with Sanchez etc), or if they will just report the transfer fee?
Old 26-01-2018, 11:34   #3319
nutter45
burninator

I doubt they’ll do that as it’s not as interesting a story.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 15:21   #3320
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Obviously he's happier with the way things have gone over the last week or so
Hard to believe looking at him!! He’s still living in a hotel apparently, doesn’t sound too permanent!
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote