Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 15-10-2016, 10:06   #141
eye__writ
Trusted User

The engineer didn't mention during install it but discovered the Sky logo on the remote is pressable and takes you straight to your recordings.

Could still do with a TV Guide button, but that's at least something.
Old 15-10-2016, 10:16   #142
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Yeah I found that too, if only there was a backup button though!

The UI just needs lots of work, I don't know why they didn't replicate the Sky+ UI but with the extra features.

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 12:01   #143
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Yeah I found that too, if only there was a backup button though!
There is a back up button isn't there? Do you mean a button to take you back a page or something else?
Old 15-10-2016, 12:02   #144
Roy

Yep. exactly that, there's an "escape" button which brings you straight out of all the menus, but I mean one that takes you back to the root menu, rather than having to use the left button repeatedly...

Roy@Flickr
Old 15-10-2016, 19:19   #145
eye__writ
Trusted User

I see what you mean. The remote itself reminds me of the Xbox One remote, in that they've tried too hard to strip it down to the bare bones and lost loads of functionality in the process.

The old Sky+ remote was a thing of utter beauty. Perfectly weighted, perfectly built and perfectly functional.

This new one has no stop button, no skip forward/backwards buttons, no back-up button, no TV Guide button. It's like something you'd get with a cheap DVD player.

Combining those shortcomings with the UI design and the problems I'm having with their fibre service, I'll be cancelling tomorrow and grovelling back to Virgin.
Old 15-10-2016, 19:28   #146
mjr
Trusted User

Interestingly the Sky+ remote was actually a third-party design that's used for various systems globally and Sky licensed it. I suspect they've done the new ones themselves.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 20:00   #147
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 480 Posts
I don't think I've ever pressed the stop button on my Sky+ remote. I always back up to the planner or press the Sky button to go back to the channel I was a watching last.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 10:30   #148
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
I see what you mean. The remote itself reminds me of the Xbox One remote, in that they've tried too hard to strip it down to the bare bones and lost loads of functionality in the process.

The old Sky+ remote was a thing of utter beauty. Perfectly weighted, perfectly built and perfectly functional.

This new one has no stop button, no skip forward/backwards buttons, no back-up button, no TV Guide button. It's like something you'd get with a cheap DVD player.

Combining those shortcomings with the UI design and the problems I'm having with their fibre service, I'll be cancelling tomorrow and grovelling back to Virgin.
You can skip during playback using the cursors, I was using it last night and it's actually fairly smooth.

Although I completely agree that it's not as good as Sky+ remote.

We'll keep it I think, purely because my wife can watch the garbage she records in another room

Roy@Flickr
Old 16-10-2016, 20:08   #149
eye__writ
Trusted User

I'll get it set up on my Harmony remote soon, which should help lessen the pain of their new remote.

Sky have promised to do me a free master socket relocation for my router placement, so I'm going to stick it out with them.

£26 a month for Fibre Max, Boxsets TV and Free Calls is worth the risk for 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
We'll keep it I think, purely because my wife can watch the garbage she records in another room
She's just posted the same thing about you on Mums Net.

Last edited by eye__writ; 16-10-2016 at 20:09.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:36   #150
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Apart from being able to record more simultaneous programmes, and the future UHD option, is there any real advantage of the 2Tb silver over the 1Tb standard?

All I want is one "master" box and one mini.

And, is setting it up over wired ethernet (or mains networking) really as difficult as some places seem to suggest?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:32   #151
eye__writ
Trusted User

How many programmes it can record simultaneously is probably less relevant when it's ignoring series link info.

Got Great British Menu on SL but there's only one episode this week scheduled to record. Ingenious stuff.
Old 16-10-2016, 23:08   #152
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
How many programmes it can record simultaneously is probably less relevant when it's ignoring series link info.

Got Great British Menu on SL but there's only one episode this week scheduled to record. Ingenious stuff.

If it's like Sky+ then it won't add the next ep until the current one starts, this is fine until it then (on Sky+) sets a 3 way clash but doesn't tell you.

On the SkyQ remote: didn't someone say the Sky+ remote works with SkyQ? Couldn't you use one of them?
Old 17-10-2016, 07:47   #153
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
How are people finding the series link performance on this thing?

I'd gotten used to setting my Tivo up to add a minute at the start of a recording and a few minutes at the end to avoid it cutting anything off in the event of scheduling delays, but not being able to do that on the Sky Q is making me paranoid that I've got 12 months of missed endings ahead of me.
I believe the Sky system uses a form of PDC to decide when to end programs, which the TiVo doesn't have, so you shouldn't need padding.

I'm also switching from Virgin to Sky (installation next Monday) and I know there's lots about the TiVo I'm going to miss (wishlists, more series link control etc.) but it's going to save me £35 a month and include the full movie and sports packages which I didn't have before, plus Atlantic. So hopefully that will balance things out.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 10:25   #154
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Apart from being able to record more simultaneous programmes, and the future UHD option, is there any real advantage of the 2Tb silver over the 1Tb standard?

All I want is one "master" box and one mini.

And, is setting it up over wired ethernet (or mains networking) really as difficult as some places seem to suggest?
The only reason I went for the 2TB is space, as my wife records more crap than you can possibly imagine...

My main box is connected via Ethernet, the engineer didn't have any trouble, just plugged it in.

In terms of setup, I moved my Mini over the Ethernet using powerline adapters over the weekend. It took me 5 minutes...

Roy@Flickr
Old 17-10-2016, 10:50   #155
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Only £45 difference, but I hate "touchpad" remotes - controlling the Apple TV or Fire TV with the apps is a pain in the butt - cursors are so much easier than "swiping" - so would definitely prefer the non-touch remote..

Oh, can you definitely download programmes to a tablet for offline viewing? The sky website doesn't seem to mention that now,
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
douglasb (17-10-2016)
Old 17-10-2016, 11:50   #156
Roy

I got two remotes with my main box, touchpad and standard with cursors, the touch pad isn't as easy to use, bit of a gimmick really Maybe when they release voice control it'll be worth having it.

I haven't got a supported tablet (my old HP one is rooted so the Sky app doesn't lie it!)

Roy@Flickr
Old 17-10-2016, 15:31   #157
Steve39
Steam: Steve39

Right I've got the main box installed but the engineer couldn't get the settings for the sky Q app and mini box to activate (just 2 X's when they should be ticks). He phoned a few departments and they said multiroom should be active on my account now... He left me with the box in the hope that they change to active over the next day or two.

Also, even though I told Sky the the dish was over the single storey extension on the back of the house, they failed to say I'd need the 'special' team to get on the roof. Luckily the lone engineer they sent out managed to get them redirected to me within the hour.
Steve39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 07:14   #158
eye__writ
Trusted User

Wondering if my new Sky Fibre connection is being artificially throttled somewhere along the line.

Haven't managed speeds faster than about 45Mb until I connected via a VPN today and all of a sudden I'm getting speeds up to 107Mb
Old 19-10-2016, 17:47   #159
eye__writ
Trusted User

As suspected, this series link simplification is annoying. Recording episodes from years and years ago on some ******** channel dedicated to repeats, when all I want is the new stuff.
Old 03-08-2017, 20:51   #160
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I see Sky Q is now advertising as being able to record 6 channels and watching a 7th, I don't suppose they've got twin planners yet? Has the rest of the s/w improved?