Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Photography and Video

Notices

Old 23-04-2015, 15:22   #41
HYPOBOXER
Trusted User

It failed once on me last night and that was down to space. Apart from that all installed ok
HYPOBOXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 18:51   #42
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

If you install via Creative Cloud and Lightroom then fails to start, sign out of Creative Cloud via the panel and sign back in. Drove me bonkers trying to get it running as first install totally borked even though I uninstalled 5 and cleaned the registry and restarted. So had to uninstall/reinstall 3 times.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 06:02   #43
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,059 Times in 873 Posts
Lightroom CC 2015.1 and Lightroom 6.1 are now available on Adobe.com

Interesting now, as LR standalone is only getting bigfixes, whereas CC is getting (minor) new features. Is this a push by Adobe to get everyone on the subs cloud model ?

Quote:
Bugs Fixed:
  • Local adjustment brush did not properly use the pressure sensitivity information from a Wacom tablet (Windows)
  • Develop adjustments are lost after Edit In while auto-write XMP is turned on
  • Entering name with trailing space while face tagging changes case of keyword
  • Keyword hierarchies are not displayed when naming face regions
  • Keywords get erroneously renamed when using hierarchical keywords in face tagging
  • Keyboard shortcuts for Merge don’t work in German or French
  • Improved quality of display color management on some widegamut displays when Use Graphics Processor is enabled
  • Card reader not automatically found (Windows Autoplay registry issue)
  • Crash when Android device is mounted (Windows)
  • Closing the crop tool or cycling Full Screen modes with Lights Out mode makes entire screen go black
  • Cannot enter negative values in Develop in some languages
  • Mouse wheel changes brush size and scrolls image
  • Import from Photoshop Elements now allows you to include People keywords.
  • Reduced “color blur” artifacts when processing Fujifilm XTrans raw images – In collaboration with Fujifilm, we are still investigating methods to improve fine detail rendering and overall edge definition
  • If a Person keyword was NOT marked as “Include on Export”, it is still nevertheless included on export unless “Remove Person Info” is selected. Please note that this only occurred for People keywords.
  • The “Remove Chromatic Aberration” checkbox is now enabled by default for all Fujifilm cameras.
  • HDR and Pano Merge: Cleared in-camera crop before merging rather than destructively applying it prior to merging.
  • Pano Merge: Fixed a Pano blending issue specific to Leica M9.
  • Fixed a bug with Panasonic LX100 – extended ISO 100 was too bright and Magenta Highlights have been fixed.
  • Fixed a bug with Nikon Coolpix P7800 NRW raw files that showed only Matrix as camera profile.
  • Fixed crash when reading some JPEG images
  • When enabling “Before/After” preview in the Develop module, the screen flickered before showing the Before preview. This only occurred when GPU was enabled
  • Lightroom starts slowly, any attempt to do something results in the blue spinning-wheel and “Not Responding” when connect to LAN without LAN/internet connection
  • If a catalog is too large, the zipped backup can’t be unzipped
  • Export creates erroneous Invalid Constraint Size Error

Lightroom CC only

Dehaze
Many outdoor scenes have some amount of haze due to atmospheric conditions. Dehaze is a new feature for removing/adding haze and fog from pictures.
The user can control how much haze to remove by adjusting a new slider in the Effects panel in the Dehaze section. This feature can also be used in the other direction to increase the amount of haze.

Local White and Black Adjustment Sliders
Available with all 3 local adjustment tools: Gradient Filter, Radial Filter and Local adjustment brush
Useful for fine-tuning tonality near the brightest and darkest parts of the picture. For instance, they can be used to increase the contrast of highlights.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 13:54   #44
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Seems that way I don't think there will be a 7, as soon as it went to CC it was given the boxed copies were going buy buy. That said if you have bought a copy it should be supported with updates within say the first year, hardly inspires customer retention does it?
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 09:49   #45
driver8
eviscerate your memory

sure - it is being supported with bug fixes and compatibility for new cameras, but no new features by the looks of it
Old 18-06-2015, 20:52   #46
Woz
Viva indifference

Anyone know if they have fixed the problem with Mac retina 5k displays that make it run like a dog?
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:30   #47
driver8
eviscerate your memory

no idea Woz - you'd need to dig into the Adobe forums to find that out. But even then, it often seems to depend on individual setups anyway. On my 3 year old Dell laptop, it's running better than it has done for ages - maybe since v2.

I was looking forward to trying the new DEHAZE option on some murky underwater photos and I wasn't disappointed. First, I spent 10 mins teasing the best out of this shot without the dehaze (clarity, black, contrast, sharp, etc) but only managed 50% of the detail that the dehaze manages in a second ! The best (unscientific) way to describe what it does, is a clever clarity/black.

Old 25-06-2015, 21:34   #48
richie-t
Dick Stallion

We only need light room and as good as this deal is, think it's cheaper just to bag the stand alone. I think if you need both copies, in particular, photoshop, it's a no brainer.
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 06:00   #49
Woz
Viva indifference

I find Lightroom mobile and the creative cloud storage pretty useful.
i struggle with using full photoshop but still think the price is good.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04   #50
driver8
eviscerate your memory

I've had a 'stuck' update for the last few days, which wouldn't resolve itself - a common error it seems - 2% downloading, unable to connect to servers.

I've just spent 30 mins trying to sort it out (almost done now) so this might help someone else in a similar situation.

1) Adobe forum - Connecting to CC - Stuck on 'Installing update' - instructions for Mac (top of thread) and Win (bottom of thread). You basically need to delete 100s of mb of files and kill some running Adobe services (that annoyingly continue to restart themselves).

2) re-download application manager - Adobe links for Mac & Win for both members and non-members

This may also prove useful - Direct Download Links (legit) for All Creative Cloud 2015 Updates: Windows

Last edited by driver8; 05-08-2015 at 08:10.
Old 18-08-2015, 08:35   #51
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Scott Kelby's latest e-book is free online for a limited time (it's in a limited html format, but you can still read the whole thing page-by-page, or of course buy the ebook for proper reference).

KelbyOne - How Do I Do That In Lightroom ?

UPDATE
When you get to the "Import Photos Already on My Computer" page, you will no longer see the NEXT button. To continue reading, use the CHAPTER dropdown at the top of the page (there are 12 chapters).

Last edited by driver8; 18-08-2015 at 08:51.
Old 23-08-2015, 15:32   #52
GlynF
Trusted User

CCPhotography promotional price

There is currently (ends 28/08/15) a promotional price available for Creative Cloud Photography from Adobe, £6.98/month rather than the usual £8.57 (from memory).
As an existing subscriber I went on to the Adobe live chat and asked whether I could get the promo price applied to my existing account.
Initially they said no, but I had already seen comments on a Facebook advert where users had said that they had managed to get the lower price.
Eventually they agreed to cancel my existing account (waiving the termination fee) so that I can take out a new subscription at the lower rate.
The only slight issue is that I've already paid up until 15/09/15 but the promotion finishes on 28/08/15 - so I'm going to have a slight overlap in payments.
I'm going to take out the new subscription on the 27th August to allow time to resolve any issues that may occur due to having an account which is already active.
It's not a massive saving - but every penny counts :-)
GlynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 17:19   #53
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Can anyone offer any workflow advice ?

On a weekend away multi-day shoot, I like to keep all photos on the camera till I get home and make a full backup to external. But meanwhile, I go through in LR as a first pass to delete all the obvious misses.
So my originals are still on my 64gb camera card, with a second copy on the laptop.

'Problem' is - when I import on the second day, LR thinks any deleted photos (from day 1) are new. Any way to stop this from happening ? (Googled without success).
Old 01-09-2015, 18:04   #54
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Don't delete the rubbish till you get home? Just mark them as rejects and leave them I'm place?
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 18:45   #55
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,118 Posts
Second 64GB card for day 2?
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 15:42   #56
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanks, guys. I was hoping there was a LR setting that I'd missed.

I like to actually delete to free up HD space, and getting a second card would break my rule of not card-swapping ! (I like to keep in-camera and forget).

My main 2tb backup drive stays at home (bit daft to carry it around) so the best solution for me will be to use a second external hdd, or maybe a 128gb card to keep permanently in my laptop slot. This way I can backup the whole set, and then work on the deletes (and copy the backup to my backup drive once at home).
Old 03-09-2015, 11:14   #57
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Can you create folders in camera for each day? I know some do and some don't. It's either that or just deselect everything from day one prior to doing the day 2 import as far as I know.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57   #58
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanks Paul - folders is a good idea that I've not tried. Will experiment till I get a large card.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13   #59
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

On the import screen just order by capture time then only import that day's photos?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:08   #60
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Yes, that's what I've been doing, but when you have 2000+ photos over a week, it's a slower process than it should be (at least with my gear). Taking a shot with the lens cap on helps to spot the day's end as a black thumbnail though !

Different subject -

What do forumites give as a "full res" image set ? The obvious thing is to export from RAW to 100% jpg, but -

- 80% would significantly decrease filesize with no loss in quality
- choosing a slightly lower res creates more images of the exact same resolution (when you may have cropped or straightened). Maybe to 4000 or 5000px, longest edge.
- do you stick to 3x2 ratio for all ?
- photos chosen for B&W - do you give a colour version too ?
- do you rename the set to give sequential numbers ? (To avoid questions about 'missing' photos).