Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 21-06-2013, 17:45   #1
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

The Comics Backissue Thread

Why do I think in the not too distant future I'll be only person looking at this

As a spin-off from the Graphic Novels Thread, this one is to post your purchases of back issues or wants lists

I'll kick it off with this weeks grabs:

First issue of my newly invigorated Spidey project (to get every issue between #200 and #300). Fairly pleased I've got a key book straight out the gates, condition on Ebay was stated NM-, I'd say it's more a VF but it's in good shape, got it about £10 below Silver Acre etc so I can live with it

[IMG]

Then a bit of a holy grail for me, first Hobgoblin appearance, ASM 238, got this from Quicksilver Comics, graded at VFN 8.5 which I think is spot on:

Then two that add to my run of X-Factor that I dropped at about issue #20, first appearances of Archangel. Pitched as NM, I'd say more like VFN (I might be a harsh grader?)

Next up, total impulse purchase, first appearance of New Ant Man, again billed as NM, more like VFN to my eye.

and finally, another sort of impulse buy, that fills a hole in my UXM books, first Alpha Flight appearance

These fill a few more holes in my ASM #200 - #300 project plus another one that plugs a gap in my extension into the up to ASM #375 books

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 21-06-2013 at 18:14.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:46   #2
Roy

Had to add a reply because I was limited to 15 images

Then a couple of random grabs, first up Spectacular Spidey #64, first Cloak and Dagger, billed as NM by Silveracre, more like VF to me, maybe I grade too harshly?

Then finally, I think the oldest book I now own, bought on impulse, grade VF- but possibly a bit higher than that, Silver Age awesomeness Avengers #55 First Ultron baby , I've taken a punt this is going to appreciate over the next few years!

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 21-06-2013 at 18:14.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:08   #3
slaity
Trusted User

Hi Roy

Why did you have start this thread, I am trying to stop buying back issues and I know this is going to make me want to buy stuff !

Steven
slaity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 10:21   #4
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaity View Post
Hi Roy

Why did you have start this thread, I am trying to stop buying back issues and I know this is going to make me want to buy stuff !

Steven
I'm just getting back into it

Just got my delivery from the postie, nothing special here, just gap fillers

Roy@Flickr
Old 22-06-2013, 10:53   #5
NicolaUK
Trusted User

I see you've been busy Roy! You've picked up some great stuff. The Larsen run on Amazing is underrated IMHO, I hope 238 wasn't too expensive and the black costume saga for me was a highlight of the character.

You have 2 X-men issues showing why I dislike much of the 90's stuff. In the late 70's Banshee was portrayed as being older than most of the other team members but somehow looked like a kid later on?

I think the first couple of years of X-Factor are a favourite of mine. The story and art were great and quite shocking for Marvel at the time.

Marvel Premiere is a title I intend to start collecting once I'm more complete with my priority titles and Avengers 55 holds a place in my heart as my Mum bought a copy for me for Christmas when I was about 16.
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 11:19   #6
Roy

Yeah that later copy of Uncanny I picked up because it was cheap and has the first appearance of Blink, which may or may not come to something (apparently rumoured to be in the next film).

Those Larsen issues are starting to appreciate too, so I though I'd best get on it while I still could!

I'm about 4 or 5 issues from completing my ASM 200 - #300 collection, I've decided to edge it out to #375 as I have random issues in that run here and there...

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 22-06-2013 at 11:21.
Old 22-06-2013, 23:50   #7
Disappearer
Trusted User

Some cracking covers there, putting many (many!) contemporary ones to shame!
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 20:51   #8
NicolaUK
Trusted User

How do you guys catalogue your Wants List? I'm still using Excel and then printing the lists out but I've been doing that for 15 years. There must be a better way.
Old 26-06-2013, 00:33   #9
kaneda
The wheels on the bus go

Perhaps one of the paid for comics database software like:
http://www.comicbase.com/ (can't remember if i used this or not)
http://www.collectorz.com/comic/

I can't quite remember if one of them was subscription based or not.

Or perhaps one of the online cataloguing places:
http://comicbookrealm.com/ - using this though you either have to earn pts to export or make a donation). The rest of the site is fully usuable including listing an entire collection.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/index.php? - had some obscure series missing, the search feature is a bit basic, it didn't handle variant/reprints that well. May have improved since i last looked at it.

They all have export/want list features though you will have to either pay or earn pts to export excel files for a few of them. I think some of the paid for software was quite decent although again i think some of them had problems with variant/reprints when i was trying them out.

Managed to get almost my entire collection listed although it did take some time.

Last edited by kaneda; 26-06-2013 at 08:10.
kaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 05:32   #10
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Thanks, I'll have a look at those links.
Old 26-06-2013, 06:35   #11
slaity
Trusted User

I use www.stashmycomics.com to catalogue my collection, you can also do want lists too. It's free which is a bonus too

Last edited by slaity; 26-06-2013 at 06:36.
Old 26-06-2013, 12:51   #12
Roy

I haven't really developed a system having only just started picking stuff up again, that said I'm being quite disciplined and targeting particular books at a time so it should be possible to keep things clear in my head

Few more bits arrived yesterday, again nothing special, but I tell you what there some idiots on Ebay, I was bidding on a few issues either side of these and people were just putting mental bids in, I guess just because that "have to win" instinct kicked in.

Roy@Flickr
Old 28-06-2013, 15:08   #13
Roy

More stuff!

Roy@Flickr
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35   #14
Roy

A random pickup because of my future intent to **** my wallet up by collecting New Mutants, so I figure I'd grab the second "key" issue of the run.

Second, because I realised I can't ever truly call myself a comic collector without having a NM copy of ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Mega chuffed with my delivery today

Picked up ASM 361 - 363 for £20 - 363 is a bit beaten up, lots of spine stress but otherwise bizarrely mint, I knew upfront that was only a reading copy and it isn't too expensive to buy anyway, but very glad to get 361 and 362 as I thought they might prove difficult.

Now, I also bought some more Hulk issues, some of you will notice I've got some dupes but there were so cheap randomly £1 or 60p and in such great condition I couldn't resist. They are in fact in better condition than the seller said, so I am really pleased, all of them pretty much NM+

And the huge win (for me at least)

Seller had said there were minor spine stresses on it, I can't see them, it's practically perfect, and only cost me £6!!! Awesome

Very pleased with that lot. I've just got one delivery I'm waiting on and then I need to hold out for a few weeks

Roy@Flickr
Old 05-07-2013, 14:46   #15
slaity
Trusted User

Just like to say thanks to Roy for "inspiring" me with his ASM project, I decided to look at my Batman / Detective Comics runs. Having a nearly full run of Batman from 400 upwards (2 short) and Detective from 560 onwards, thought I would start collecting Batman 300 - 400 and Detective 500 - 560.

First look on Ebay ended up buying 60 of the 150 issues I needed!

Will post pictures when I receive them, if I can hide them before my wife finds out!
Old 06-07-2013, 18:49   #16
Roy

You're welcome Your wallet will forever hate me

I need to slow down a bit as I've been on a bit of a splurge this last month, but I've filled a good number of spaces in my collection, I think I'm down to needing three issues to complete my ASM #200 - #300 run, and I've made a good dent in my extended ~300 - #375 run.

I can well imagine I'll go to #400.

I also need to plug just a few gaps in my Hulk run too, I'm probably only 50 issues from having #200 to when it ended.

Roy@Flickr
Old 26-08-2013, 20:42   #17
Marts62
Boo!

I splurged $20 on Howard The Duck #12 (Kiss issue) while in Alaska just last week. Bosco's had a $1 sale on, and I grabbed Citizen Kang (3 annuals from 1992, got one more to get) and Warlock 1-4 (1998).

Also just bought off ebay
the Warlock and the Infinity Watch set (1992),
the Guardians of the Galaxy set (early 90's), and
the Captain Marvel set (late 60's).
All at great prices IMO.
Marts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 18:51   #18
Marts62
Boo!

Did you see that a Roger Stern ASM omnibus is due out in the coming months, collecting a few issues in the 200s?

I'm off to Southend on Sea this week to see the pier, but also to visit Ace Comics in the hope they have a good back issue section.
Old 09-09-2013, 20:55   #19
Roy

Nice, enjoy, post back what you get, with pics, I love looking at comics covers

I've got a few updates to post up soon as well.

I did see that Stern Omni, it collects a chunk of the stuff I've been buying singles of, more interesting to me is the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus collecting all of Remender's run, really looking forward to that.

Roy@Flickr
Old 12-09-2013, 13:22   #20
Marts62
Boo!

Here are a few of the pick-ups, filling gaps and completing stories.

Ace Comics in Southend was impressive for its back-issues room, but the Colchester store was even grander. Had good chats with the staff too, who were very helpful. Despite their vast stock, I've had to resort to Mile High Comics to get some rarer, older issues.

Edit, just reading the Hulk annual, written by Peter David, and it opens with an arm wrestle between Hulk and The Thing! Shut the front door!

Last edited by Marts62; 26-10-2013 at 06:28. Reason: it's its ffs I know this stuff