Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Notices

Old 15-09-2011, 10:07   #1
Guest 10924

[Blu-Ray Review] Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy

Comments attached to the Blu-Ray Review 'Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy' on Movies @ The Digital Fix

The much-maligned prequels come to Blu-ray. Geoff has a look at the UK 3-disc set....

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:07   #2
Guest 48851
Trusted User

As a child of the 70's the prequel trilogy did not mean much to me.

Geoff you should be congratulated on your fair minded, even handed review. Your opinons echo my own thoughts on these 3 films.

For me two great things came out of the Prequels;

The first is the CGI TV show Clone Wars, many might not agree, but this represents the true spirit of Star Wars and a fitting expansion of Universe created in Episode IV, V. For my Son this is Star Wars more than the films or anything else.

The second, was the awfulness of Jar Jar Binks, a thing so bad that I learnt how to rip DVDs, use Womble Mpeg Video Editor and craft my own edits of The Phantom Menace. Edits of Two Towers (the warg battle had to go) and Matrix Reloaded (crazy tribal dance) and Matrix Revolutions soon followed. Even Die Another Day was improved by a small edit to remove the excesses of the Kite Surfing explosion of the Icelandic coast.

Since then I attemped a really deep revision to make Attack of the Clones at least bearable. The objective was to get to the Jedi Area battle as quickly as possible, luckily there are so many redundant scenes that it was easily accomplised.

So for me the Prequels were a source of something of real value to me.
Guest 48851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 22:17   #3
Guest 78286
Trusted User

My god... DVD times just doesn´t stop the contradictions...

In this review you state from Episode I: "The original DVD was horrible, quite frankly..."

And on the DVD review from episode I you state: "The picture is absolutely flawless... Stunningly colourful visuals... natural looking primary colours are exhibited perfectly... the picture, much like the audio, can surely serve as reference quality."

Just decide yourselves on the matter... or at least check old reviews posted on your site so that this stupid contradictions don´t happen...
Guest 78286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 22:20   #4
Guest 78286
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by springjack
My god... DVD times just doesn´t stop the contradictions...In this review you state from Episode I: "The original DVD was horrible, quite frankly..."And on the DVD review from episode I you state: "The picture is absolutely flawless... Stunningly colourful visuals... natural looking primary colours are exhibited perfectly... the picture, much like the audio, can surely serve as reference quality."Just decide yourselves on the matter... or at least check old reviews posted on your site so that this stupid contradictions don´t happen...
http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/4864/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace.html
Old 15-09-2011, 22:30   #5
Guest 21866
Trusted User

Different reviewers, different viewpoints, different opinions. And given the ten-year gap between this new review and that old one, I think it's fair to say that standards and expectations have also changed somewhat.
Guest 21866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 00:22   #6
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

If I'd written the original review, the DVD would've gotten just as much of an ass-kicking. It's atrocious, and always has been.

And springjack, why do I need to check a decade-old review before deciding what I want to write, anyway? Get over yourself.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 16-09-2011 at 00:24.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 05:14   #7
Guest 78286
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by anield
Different reviewers, different viewpoints, different opinions. And given the ten-year gap between this new review and that old one, I think it's fair to say that standards and expectations have also changed somewhat.
There is no excuse when you say "different reviewers" and "different viewpoints" if one says "was horrible" and the other says "absolutely flawless" and "reference quality" because this is the absolute opposite of another... I could accept if both reviews diverged somehow but this is too much.

The ten year gap and the change of standarts is in no way an excuse... the reviewer used "was", so he´s saying the original was always "bad".
Old 16-09-2011, 05:21   #8
Guest 78286
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceguygeoffAnd springjack, why do I need to check a decade-old review before deciding what I want to write, anyway? Get over yourself.
I´m over myself... don´t worry...

And why do you need to check a decade-old review before deciding what you want to write? Well, because that´s called investigation so you can somehow justify the change of opinion to someone else´s opinion that is posted on this site. If someone says "black" and you say "white", a justification is in order.
Old 16-09-2011, 06:23   #9
Guest 43308
Trusted User

A very fair and even-handed review - something remarkably difficult to pull off with something that polarizes opinions like the Prequels. Good stuff, Dearth Vader!

The Wilson Bros
Guest 43308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 07:20   #10
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
There is no excuse when you say "different reviewers" and "different viewpoints" if one says "was horrible" and the other says "absolutely flawless" and "reference quality" because this is the absolute opposite of another... I could accept if both reviews diverged somehow but this is too much.
They're written by two different people.

Perhaps the writers of TDF should also check with The Digital Bits or Blu-ray.com first to make sure that all their opinions match. We can't have people getting confused now.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:33   #11
Guest 59061

Quote:
Originally posted by springjack
There is no excuse when you say "different reviewers" and "different viewpoints" if one says "was horrible" and the other says "absolutely flawless" and "reference quality" because this is the absolute opposite of another... I could accept if both reviews diverged somehow but this is too much.The ten year gap and the change of standarts is in no way an excuse... the reviewer used "was", so he´s saying the original was always "bad".
It's impressive to find someone more obtuse than a 180 degree angle.
Guest 59061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 10:39   #12
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBros View Post
A very fair and even-handed review - something remarkably difficult to pull off with something that polarizes opinions like the Prequels. Good stuff, Dearth Vader!

The Wilson Bros
Heh. Someone I used to know called me Dearth Vader.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 16-09-2011 at 10:58.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:46   #13
McD
Trusted User

Although I think the scores are waaaay too generous for I and III, surely 6/10 for II when it's described as 'utter bobbins' until the finale (and a finale derided as comically bad by many) is just being overly nice?
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 11:04   #14
Niceguygeoff

It's an honest opinion, nothing more. I do still glean a great deal of enjoyment from AOTC in the parts that I do like, including your "comically bad" finale. I happen to love those last few reels where the Jedi's mission changes from peace to war.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 16-09-2011 at 11:05.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:54   #15
Guest 71588
Trusted User

I actually enjoy II more than I having watched both in quick succession, though I like both. I has a lot of awkward cuts of people saying one or two lines of dialogue before cutting to another scene. I appreciate we need the sense that all parts of the film are ticking along nicely, but it feels disjointed, especially when some of the lines are basically "I'm sending my apprentice to you" or "This is what has just happened boss, what should we do?". I also find Jake Lloyd harder to watch than Hayden, bless him.

I think the romance plot in II is actually justified in its awkwardness in many ways, I mean Anakin is someone Padme remembers as a child, so reassessing him 10 years later must be unusual and Anakin is a an abstinent jedi who clearly has no idea how to talk to women in a romantic way, so it makes sense that he'd sound like an introverted teenager.

I admit this certainly doesn't justify all the dialogue choices though and there is still much faffing about, but I still have a fondness for I and II. If you're interested my ranking in order of favourites goes: III, V, VI, IV, II, I (yes, I like Jedi more than Hope, it was my favourite as a kid and thus it gets special treatment :P)
Guest 71588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 12:21   #16
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

AOTC is the only one I haven't been able to watch all the way through. I just can't. The scenes with Anakin and Padme getting on down are what chapter skips were invented for. Even if I and III had been otherwise good, which they aren't, Anakin as pouted by Christensen could have sunk them all by himself. Binks by comparison isn't half bad.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 13:54   #17
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
It's an honest opinion, nothing more. I do still glean a great deal of enjoyment from AOTC in the parts that I do like, including your "comically bad" finale.
Personally, I don't find the finale that bad. Or, more accurately, it didn't stick out as worse than the rest of the film whch I thought was abominally bad.

If I liked anything about the prequels it would be the Darth Maul fight in TPM and Ian McDiarmid's performance throughout. And maybe parts of John Williams score (I think he was great until 2001, bowing out of the very top with two more classics, A.I. and Harry Potter). But overall, I thought they were atrocities. By the time Rick McCallum entered his life, Lucas had clearly totally lost it altogether.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:11   #18
Guest 64639
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by springjackAnd why do you need to check a decade-old review before deciding what you want to write? Well, because that´s called investigation so you can somehow justify the change of opinion to someone else´s opinion that is posted on this site. If someone says "black" and you say "white", a justification is in order.
The change of opinion to someone else's opinion? How does that happen, exactly? Does Geoff Dearth travel back through time to 2001 and change Raphael Pour-Hashemi's opinion of the DVD he's just reviewed?

Two people, two opinions. There's no contradiction, as neither reviewer is offering up "The Digital Fix's collective opinion".
Guest 64639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 17:14   #19
Niceguygeoff

We've gotta go back, Marty!
Old 18-09-2011, 19:01   #20
Guest 78286
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybee_elsdonIt's impressive to find someone more obtuse than a 180 degree angle.
No one was offensive so your remark is out of order...

On the same page, only a person that is "obtuse" is qualified to call another "obtuse".