Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 26-06-2010, 18:14   #1
jpig
Trusted User

Doctor Who: s05e13 The Big Bang

Awesome.

That is all.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:21   #2
Guest 8751
Trusted User

"This is where it gets complicated"

brilliant
Guest 8751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:23   #3
Mr Milo
choice excellent

Superb. I actually applauded at the end and even had a tear in my eye as it wound up setting next season.
Just excellent!
Old 26-06-2010, 18:23   #4
Guest 600
Philanthropist

I genuinely never saw coming (or read on a forum ) that

Is River
then??

d.

Last edited by dynamite; 26-06-2010 at 18:28.
Guest 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:27   #5
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Brilliant stuff, I loved the long opening scene when the Pandorica opened and Amy was in there and the little stuff with the time jumping to a fro. Some great lines like "Hi Honey I'm home"
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:27   #6
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

great tv and for the 1st time actually want to watch the Christmas special
Old 26-06-2010, 18:28   #7
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Awesome stuff

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:28   #8
The404
In Stereo Where Available

It was very different to part 1, but I really enjoyed it. The only minor criticisms I have are that we still don't know who was behind bringing the TARDIS to Amy's time to explode and cause the cracks, and i'd like for them to have made a little bit more of The Doctor jumping into previous episodes. The only notable one was the scene in Flesh & Stone.

Also, what happened to the Blue Peter TARDIS console that was supposed to appear at some point this series?

Anyway, just for funsies....my Top 13:

1. The Eleventh Hour
2. Amy's Choice
3. The Big Bang
4. The Pandorica Opens
5. The Time Of Angels
6. Flesh & Stone
7. The Lodger
8. The Beast Below
9. Vincent & The Doctor
10. Victory of the Daleks
11. Cold Blood
12. The Hungry Earth
13. Vampires Of Venice

An excellent series, all said and done...

Last edited by The404; 26-06-2010 at 19:07.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:28   #9
beaky
Omnipresent

Wow!
beaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:29   #10
Guest 2728
Trusted User

So the theories about (poss spoilers) a future Doctor being in Episode 5 were right all along. Great finish to what has, with the possible exception of the Dalek episode and the second Silurian episode, a very strong series. Certainly the best series since the show came back.
Guest 2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:30   #11
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
It was very different to part 1, but I really enjoyed it. The only minor criticisms I have are that we still don't know who was behind bringing the TARDIS to Amy's time to explode and cause the cracks, and i'd like for them to have made a little bit more of The Doctor jumping into previous episodes. The only notable one was the scene in Flesh & Stone.

Yeah, I still don't get why the Tardis exploded in the first place but I thought it was Amy who brought it back to her wedding day, somehow? Except in the original timeline, her wedding day was the explosion day. Or something. But why or how it originally exploded I dont think I understand.

Excellent episode though. I liked the stone dalek a lot more than its multi-coloured bretheren.

Last edited by KRW; 26-06-2010 at 18:32.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:34   #12
Harold1066
Trusted User

From Flesh and Stone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold1066 View Post
Just watch this back again; and while you can just make on the jacket (its all shot in a tight headshot), I think its just a continuity error; we all know these scenes are recorded out of order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
So how do you reconcile the fact that this entire bit of the conversation makes no sense whatsoever within the episode?

What she did when she was seven had no bearing at all on the outcome or her actions - so why would he say it was so important ?

I'd bet a years salary that it's no error.
Ok I was wrong

Great episode
Old 26-06-2010, 18:36   #13
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

I think in the next series we will find out why the tardis exploded as the Dr mentioned it at the end. Also the dalek looked better, not brightly lit
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:43   #14
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Beware Spoilers!

"Absolute nonsensical time travel farce." summed up perfectly by Stephen Moffat, so I'm glad he knew! Grandfather paradox a go go. Reminded me of Bill and Ted with its farcical 'he is saved from the box by himself from the future' solution. Yep, doesn't compute, doesn't make sense. I hate shallow time travel telling like that sometimes and I thought that Bill & Ted showed up how farcical it truly was to stop it ever happening again. Alas it didn't.

Now the skinny, I'll forgive it that, cos overall I loved this episode, the sheer audacity of the episode. The sheer imagination, and could have easily have ended the series, the raggedy doctor that never existed. That in my book would have been a great ending to Doctor Who. To literally have saved the universe and be forgotten by it. Never thought Doctor Who could have had an ending. But the comeback, the myth that is the origins of the Doctor, stealing the TARDIS to escape from Gallifrey, how that was written into the wedding vows to trigger her memory (amy the anamoly). ANd the first time Doctor WHo has pulled off a satisfactory season arc, something it's never really managed to do before, RTD's always just felt like add ons, convoluted. The best season finale since Ecclestons, it grabbed me nearly all the way through, nearly all of it being primal, immediate, effective. And the crapness I started this review with? WEll everyone of RTD's finales has had that (the worst being the dobby Doctor Urgh), the best big scale finale he pulled off had the ludicrous ending of the TARDIS towing the Earth through space. And his best finale, the first - where it wasn't quite so ludicrous and more grounded, still had the farcical moment of the TARDIS being jump started by a tow van.

And I loved the audacity of the pre-credits teaser, "Now kid this is where it gets complicated" speaking directly to the children in the audience as well as Amy.

Superb.

Oh and yes, one of the things I love is not only did it wrap up the "amys crack" storyline, we still have the who caused it all to happen and why mystery (remember the mysterious voice in the TARDIS last week) to propel us forward into the christmas special (or next season). Hopefully Moffat is still building something special.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:45   #15
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
I think in the next series we will find out why the tardis exploded as the Dr mentioned it at the end.
Moffat has just said as much on Confidential, also a running story will be Who is River Song which ties in with the ending.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:49   #16
Guest 600
Philanthropist

And on Confidential Moffat has just confirmed that next series will focus on "who or what is The Silence" and "who is River Song".

Can't wait

d.

doh - beat me to it.

Last edited by dynamite; 26-06-2010 at 18:49.
Guest 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 18:50   #17
jonorigin
Trusted User

I stopped watching the show a couple of episodes into the previous series as I thought it had got so rubbish but thought I should give the new doctor a fair go and i'm so glad i did. It's been the best series ever for me and Matt Smith is fantastic. This episode tied the series up well and set up the next series nicely.
Old 26-06-2010, 19:01   #18
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,025 Times in 509 Posts
Dam it. It's a bitch to review these when they are awesome
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 19:03   #19
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Absolutely ******* loved it. The time-travel shennanigans at the start, "It's a fez. Fez's are cool", Amy's "You're late for my wedding speech", and a shedload of other things besides were highlights for me.

Moffat shows that, despite what RTD always thought, you can make bonkers stuff that makes sense. The care and craft put into the plot was exemplary, the way little things all came together to get the end result - and the bit from the Weeping Angels episode paying off was masterful. And of top of that, leaving some things to be carried over to the next series is just another masterstroke! No neat box every year for Mr Moffat, clearly.

This is how TV should be done, this is why I was always so scathing of the **** RTD pumped out, this is SPARTA! Er, I mean, this is just wonderful TV.

Moffat, I think I love you.
Old 26-06-2010, 19:24   #20
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

well bar 2 or 3 eps of Tennants reign which were just incredible (family of blood, the angels one and girl in the fireplace), Matt Smith has been the best doctor of the run so far. So i take back all i thought of the decision to have someone younger do it this time round. Excellent series all round.

Only niggle was that since the two screwdrivers caused sparks when touched together, why didnt Dr of the future blow the head off Dr of the present when he appeared in the museum and grabbed hold of him? Oh and the daft resolution of how he got out of the cube! Silliness, but fogiven by the "Fez's are cool" line

And is Rory still plastic then or did he reset when it all kicked off?

Cant wait for xmas Should make up for all the crappy socks i'll be getting.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote