Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 21-09-2009, 12:56   #1
dunkle
Trusted User

Audiobooks - from CD to MP3

Want to get into Audiobooks so can listen to on Iphone

However have got a few and they are on multiple CDs (one being 20 discs)

How do I go about getting these onto my PC into easy to manage files in MP3 format ?
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 15:54   #2
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Usually the CD's have the tracks divided into chapters so should be fairly well organised. There is software out there that will allow you to cut the MP3's up into shorter files if you want. In the end, you'll still need to go through the process of ripping the discs one at a time though.

The MP3 quality won't really need to be higher than 64 kpbs just for voice.
LeftHandedGuitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 19:06   #3
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Usually the CD's have the tracks divided into chapters so should be fairly well organised. There is software out there that will allow you to cut the MP3's up into shorter files if you want. In the end, you'll still need to go through the process of ripping the discs one at a time though.

The MP3 quality won't really need to be higher than 64 kpbs just for voice.
Cheers

Is it best to have a folder for each disc
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 19:07   #4
ji
Just another member

I have all of the Lord of the Rings on CD-unabridged! Runds to 60 odd CDs iirc. Madness.
Old 21-09-2009, 19:25   #5
Harold1066
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Cheers

Is it best to have a folder for each disc
That'd the way I do it, but sometimes I find that a track with not appear in its folder and tuens up in the known. This can be annoying not sure if its my cr@ppy mp3 player or not
Old 22-09-2009, 09:52   #6
Guest 2302
XBL + PSN : Jediross

If you are going to listen on the iphone then I suggest changing them to the ipod audiobook format, which allows resuming from where you left off rather than at the start of an mp3.

http://www.********software.com/

Doesnt like the link for some reason... Mods?

Last edited by jediross; 22-09-2009 at 09:52.
Guest 2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 10:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediross View Post
If you are going to listen on the iphone then I suggest changing them to the ipod audiobook format, which allows resuming from where you left off rather than at the start of an mp3.

http://www.********software.com/

Doesnt like the link for some reason... Mods?
thanks for that. I've always wondered if there was a better way of listening to mp3 audiobooks on my ipod that software should come in very handy. I found your url on a google search
Old 22-09-2009, 12:22   #8
Guest 911
XBL Gamer Tag: Kr4vex

If you're using an iPod you might want to make sure the CD is encoded as an .m4b rather than an .mp3 as this will allow you to make use of the ipod's resume fuction.

I've been using a piece of Software called "Markable" that hooks into iTunes.
Guest 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 11:46   #9
campdave
Trusted User

You can set resume on any mp3 files, through right clicking and options in itunes.

You can batch select files to perform this on.
campdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 21:14   #10
The Beyond
SUPER HERO

From my own experience, this is how I do it:

rip the CDs individually (put into different folders so I know where they are)
then I use an MP3 splitter/ combiner to select all the CD tracks which form one book chapter (and convert to MP3 at the same time)

The only problem is most audiobooks are pretty indiscriminate about where they place the CD tracks. You'll often find that a chapter starts part way through a track - some tracks will even occur part way through a sentence.

So I use an audio editor like cool edit pro to scan each wav file to see where they should be split. I also remove the annoying voice markers telling you what CD you're listening to.

Storage is dirt cheap these days so why anybody would want to compress any sort of audio file to something like 64kbps is beyond me. I don't like the weird clipping that occurs when files are compressed at low bit rates so I personally don't go below 128kbps (mostly 192kbps.)

I then audiotag the finished files and save in one folder. I listen on an ipod but I don't use MP4 format. You can start a file from anywhere you want so I find I never lose my place anyway.

This is only the way I do it, though. It can be a royal pain in the arse converting all your files in the first place but I take consolation in the fact that the final result will be worth it in the long run.

Do whatever suits you best. I extremely fussy when it comes to having all my files the same but I know that it wouldn't bother most people.

If you have a decent local library they usually have quite a selection of talking books on CD.
The Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 10:49   #11
Guest 30887
Trusted User

I'd just do each disc as a single file into m4b format and use resuming instead of trying to split by chapter. Don't go too low bitrate as it can sound a bit rubbish - I'd aim for 100+kb.
Guest 30887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 13:39   #12
capricorn1
Trusted User

Are you using a PC or a Mac? If it's PC then Markable is a very good piece of software. It has a full feature free trial then it's only around Ł15, I used it all the time when I had my iTunes library on PC.

Another 'free' option (on PC) is to use the option in iTunes to rip the entire CD as one file (do it in AAC format), you can then use a free bit of software called YAMB to join multiple files to make one bigger file. If you then rename the extention of the file to .M4B and import it back in to iTunes it will appear in the Audiobooks section of iTunes and will remember the playback position etc in iTunes and on the iPod. Then, delete the original files you've ripped from the CD from the Music part of iTunes.

If you're using a Mac then follow the first part of the process I've described above to rip the CD's as one files. When you've ripped them all use an Apple script called Join Together from dougs scripts. The script is totally free and very easy to use. However, if you'd like more functionality (like the ability to add chapters to the files) then there is a paid for version.
capricorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote