Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 07:37   #21
Guest 28605
MCDBA,MCSE,MCSA,MCITP:DBA

You already mentioned Dean Koontz - anything by him is a good read IMO. Some that stand out though:

Intensity
The Bad Place
Lightning
Watchers
Dark Rivers of The Heart

Again, I've never been dissapointed with anything I've read by DK.

I also like some Richard Laymon - I'd say "The Island" is the best of his books that I've read so far. The James Herbert books I've read have also been pretty good - "The Magic Cottage" is my favourite. I've read a few of Brian Lumley's Necroscope series which have been very good.

I decided to give the Twilight series a go a while ago (long before the film came out). I think they are actually classed as "teen fiction" and are targeted towards women more than men. Don't let this put you off though - they are a great read.

I'm reading Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series at the moment - again these are probably aimed more at a female audience, but are a good read nontheless.
Guest 28605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:34   #22
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep an eye out.

A few I picked up recently, some of which were recommendations (apart from the King's, which I'm a bit behind in..)

Stephen King - Duma Key
Stephen King - From a Buick 8
Stephen King - Lisey's Story
King/Straubb - The Talisman
King/Straubb - Black House
James Herbert - Others
James Herbert - The Secret of Crickley Hall
James Herbert - Haunted
James Herbert - Moon
James Herbert - The Fog
Dean Koontz - Night Chills
Dean Koontz - Watchers

Should keep me going for a while. I'll probably punctuate them with non-horror titles for a bit of variety.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02   #23
avid fan
Trusted User

If you're talking classic eighties horror, I'd recommend anything by Garth Marenghi - particularly "The Ooze" (can water die?), "Afterbirth" (a mutated placenta attacks Bristol) and "Black Fang" (where rats learn to drive).

James Herbert stole his look
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59   #24
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Yes, very good..
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37   #25
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Give John Skipp and Craig Spector a try.

Oh, and S.P. Somtow.

Me, I almost always have a King book on the go. I'm reading The Dead Zone at the moment (it has been a while since I read it).

If you want to read King doing a Herbert give Cell a go.

I've never been able to get into Shaun Hutson's stuff though...

Oh, and I like the Anne Rice vampire books, I have a fancy Interview with the Vampire 1st edition hardback with gold dustjacket
Old 09-09-2009, 10:42   #26
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Early Shaun "loosening sphincter-muscle" Hutson novels are good pulpy, gory fun. Personally I think he peaked with the brilliant "Assassin".
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49   #27
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Cheers Ste7en,

Yeah loved Cell, although it seems to divide King fans. I've read almost all King's back catalogue, Cell being the most recent of his later stuff, although I've since picked up a few more as mentioned above.

Not a fan of Hutson either tbh, not crazy about gore for gore's sake in novels - prefer a good chilling story. Anne Rice I never got on with either; I tried Interview after the turgid film, and still didn't get on with it.

Not read any Skipp, Spector or Somtow though - I'll look into them.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58   #28
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

The first third of Cell was excellent, King back to his best. But the middle dragged & the end was awful.

His upcoming, Under the Dome sounds like he's returned to the likes of The Tommyknockers (which I really enjoyed). First time i've looked forward to a King novel for over a decade.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38   #29
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
The first third of Cell was excellent, King back to his best. But the middle dragged & the end was awful.
Couldn't agree more.

The first 80-odd pages were fantastic, the opening scene in particular has got be one the greatest openings in any horror book.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 14:23   #30
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:

His upcoming, Under the Dome sounds like he's returned to the likes of The Tommyknockers (which I really enjoyed). First time i've looked forward to a King novel for over a decade.
Under the Dome has been ruined by the Simpsons move for me already

The first 3rd or so of Cell reminded me of The Fog though.

FWIW I really enjoyed Lisey's Story, even if some of the nastiness was a bit OTT IMO.
Old 09-09-2009, 15:10   #31
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I quite enjoyed Duma Key, as well. I've had a go at everything he's done, for old time's sake, but that one stood out for me of his recent output. Agree with all the comments about The Cell.

I've not read Lisey's Game yet, mind. Sounds good. OTT nastiness.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 15:21   #32
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Don't get too excited, one 'scene' in particular made me wince quite a bit.
Old 09-09-2009, 16:51   #33
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Some horror writers I like and the novels of theirs I've read and enjoyed are:

Dan Simmons - Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night, Children of the Night, The Terror

-similar to Stephen Kings books, though slightly better written. Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night and Children of the Night feature common characters, though they can be read independently.

Stephen Gallagher - Valley of Lights, Oktober, The Boat House

-excellent British writer who has since moved to crime novels

Michael McDowell - The Elementals, the Blackwater series

-he also wrote the screenplay for Beetlejuice. The sci-fi channel keeps announcing a TV series based on his excellent Blackwater books, which is a family epic that spans much of the 20th century, about a carniverous, shape shifting water creature/mermaid who marries into a rich Alabama family

Jonathan Carroll - The Land of Laughs, Bones of the Moon

-his books are an undefinable mix of fantasy and horror, very well written and in some way like a supernatural John Irving

Thomas M. Disch - The Business Man, The Priest

-these are more satirical, but The Business Man, a novel about a haunting from the vengeful ghosts POV, is one of my all time favourite books.

Jack Ketchum - Dark Season

-great pulp fiction featuring explicit carnage and gore

The last horror novel I read was Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist which has a great first half and then goes nowhere. Currently I'm reading Dan Simmons' The Terror which mixes real historical characters (it's about Sir John Franklin ill fated 1845 expedition to the Arctic) with a horror story.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 09-09-2009 at 21:59.
Guest 56823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 19:08   #34
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Delete

Last edited by DanWilde1966; 09-09-2009 at 19:23.
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 19:23   #35
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Simon Bestwick's Tide of Souls. It's just been published and it's a zombie novel. This author is a friend of a friend and visited my flat once, so I'm giving it a plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
I really enjoyed Lisey's Story, even if some of the nastiness was a bit OTT IMO.
Like much of King's later work, it's too long. This guy needs a more ferocious sub-editor. And his prose grates on my nerves. Earlier King is definitely best: I re-read Salem's Lot recently and it's a fantastic piece of work
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 20:04   #36
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Salem's Lot is fantastic!

Once it hits the fan you're like "Aww... I was enjoying nothing happening"

I know what you mean about his recent work being too long. I just bought the paperback of Just After Sunset because the hardback was like a breeze block!

I also enjoyed Insomnia. So much so that the wife has just finished reading it. But the paperback is printed in 3.5pt text... on tissue paper! It done her eyes in
Old 09-09-2009, 20:22   #37
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Some horror writers I like and the novels of theirs I've read and enjoyed are:

Dan Simmons - Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night, Children of the Night, The Terror

-similar to Stephen Kings books, though slightly better written. Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night, Children of the Night feature common characters, though they can be read independently.

Stephen Gallagher - Valley of Lights, Oktober, The Boat House

-excellent British writer who has since moved to crime novels

Michael McDowell - The Elementals, the Blackwater series

-he also wrote the screenplay for Beetlejuice. The sci-fi channel keeps announcing a TV series based on his excellent Blackwater books, which is a family epic that spans much of the 20th century, about a carniverous, shape shifting water creature/mermaid who marries into a rich New Orleans family

Jonathan Carroll - The Land of Laughs, Bones of the Moon

-his books are an undefinable mix of fantasy and horror, very well written and in some way like a supernatural John Irving

Thomas M. Disch - The Business Man, The Priest

-these are more satirical, but The Business Man, a novel about a haunting from the vengeful ghosts POV, is one of my all time favourite books.

Jack Ketchum - Dark Season

-great pulp fiction featuring explicit carnage and gore

The last horror novel I read was Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist which has a great first half and then goes nowhere. Currently I'm reading Dan Simmons' The Terror which mixes real historical characters (it's about Sir John Franklin ill fated 1845 expedition to the Arctic) with a horror story.
Excellent stuff Todd, thanks.

"Handling the Undead" a bit of a let down then? That's a shame, as it's on my shelf to read.

I'm a fellow Ketchum fan, and recently read (and loved) "Red". I presume it's "Off Season" you're referring to? I have that one, having read many great things about it, but again it's on the shelf (along with a few others of his) in the yet to read pile. It notoriously got heavily cut on release didn't it, until they released the unexpurgated edition, which is the version I have. His books make very good films too: "The Girl Next Door", "The Lost" and "Red", all certainly worth watching.

I'll look into those other authors - I've heard of a few, but read none, so cheers for the tips!
Old 09-09-2009, 21:54   #38
Guest 56823
Trusted User

Yup, I meant Ketchum's "Off Season", it's a while ago that I read it.
Guest 56823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 22:26   #39
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Didn't realise a new one on the way, sounds very promising from the blurb what a retirement eh
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 22:25   #40
lintone
ps3 :- biffy

I loved all of "cell",didnt think it dragged at all,but then i dont find any of his books drag or too long,i would agree that some of his later novels may off not been up to the standard set by salems lot or The Stand,but he has never written anything bad or that hasnt entertained me.
A new king novel is always an event for me.
lintone is offline   Reply With Quote