Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 31-01-2002, 22:14   #1
stuart cracknell
Trusted User

Receiver and speaker recommendation

Hi all,

Please could you help recommend a receiver and speaker package. Here's what I'm after

I've got a Sony 336 DVD Player

Reciever
----------

need the Receiver to do DD5.1, DTS and Dolby Prologic 2. Would like it to pump out a minimum 75W per Channel and would like a "night time mode" if possible.
I've been drawn to the Kenwood KRF-V7050D but don't think it has a "Night time Mode"
Budget of about £300

Speakers
-----------

Would prefer small type speakers rather than large floor standing speakers, only cause the girlfriend wouldn't like em
Been thinking on some Mission type package.
Budget of about £400

Thanks in advance

Stu
stuart cracknell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2002, 23:31   #2
Guest 517
Trusted User

Re: Receiver and speaker recommendation

Quote:
Originally posted by stuart cracknell
Hi all,

Please could you help recommend a receiver and speaker package. Here's what I'm after

I've got a Sony 336 DVD Player

Reciever
----------

need the Receiver to do DD5.1, DTS and Dolby Prologic 2. Would like it to pump out a minimum 75W per Channel and would like a "night time mode" if possible.
I've been drawn to the Kenwood KRF-V7050D but don't think it has a "Night time Mode"
Budget of about £300

Speakers
-----------

Would prefer small type speakers rather than large floor standing speakers, only cause the girlfriend wouldn't like em
Been thinking on some Mission type package.
Budget of about £400

Thanks in advance

Stu

Receiver - Marantz SR4200 (c£250) or SR5200 (c£300-£350).
The SR5200 adds 6.1 channel capability (with onboard 6th amp) and a multichannel input (which you'll need if you ever want to upgrade to DVDA/SACD)

Speakers - bit more tricky.
If you want really small (you'll just have to accept the inevitable compromises that brings, ie some small satellites struggle to get down to even 120Hz, the point where the subwoofer cuts off for DD/DTS, and many can sound like all bass and treble with no midrange at all) the Kef eggs are reputed to be the best for realistic money, but they are still around £700 or so (never heard them though).
The Mission FS2 AV pack can be bought for about £450 now, although I was distinctly underwhelmed overall by these, even if they are impressive for their size (they are NXT flat panel).
Richers Sounds and QED are always worth a look.

IMO you'd get much better performance for your money by getting something like 2 pairs of Kef Cresta Ones and a Cresta Centre, for £180, and adding something like a Paradigm PDR10 subwoofer for £150 from Richer Sounds.
Or a Wharfedale Diamond 8 screen pack for £230 and add the Diamond 810 sub for another £120, from QED (or the 808 for £105)
Both the Cresta Ones and D8.1s stand just about 12" high, so not exactly massive, but fair enough - still bigger than some would prefer.
There are others though too.
Guest 517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:20   #3
stuart cracknell
Trusted User

Thanks for the info Mike,

Will check out the Marantz, Will also check out Richer Sounds here in Reading.

Thanks
Stu
stuart cracknell is online now   Reply With Quote