Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-11-2007, 12:37   #81
Padwah
Fuelled By Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad123 View Post
Anyone else think Ramsey made a boo boo getting rid of the carvery as covers went down as a result.
The covers might have gone down but seeing as they were all on two for one special offers the drop wasn't as significant and there was no mention of whether the profits had gone up or down.
Old 28-11-2007, 12:37   #82
johnsy
www.Brain-Damage.co.uk

I went there a few years back and it was a nice location, but food was distinctly so-so. REALLY don't fancy going back now! Didn't get to see the end of the show though... the draw of IACGMOOH was too great (although what a disappointing episode it was... but that's another thread!).
johnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 13:05   #83
Guest 22025
Steppin' Razor

I think one of the things is that having Gordon alongside you when your on the street drumming up business for a restaurant is bound to help. If I was with some mates I'd be booking a table as well, after all they know it's a good chance of getting on telly.
Trying to maintain that level of publicity has got to be hard though.

To be honest they could have made the carvery viable. Clean up the kitchen, fire the useless chef, stop the stupid vouchers and slightly raise prices and it could have worked.
Guest 22025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 13:18   #84
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
I went there a few years back and it was a nice location, but food was distinctly so-so.
Well now you know what sort of meat you were eating ...
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 13:25   #85
Brad123
Well endowed

Toby was useless, i wanted to slap him into next week. Dear god man grow some!!!!!!!!

Have to say i love this show now and its a must see for me on a tuesday.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:31   #86
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad123 View Post
Anyone else think Ramsey made a boo boo getting rid of the carvery as covers went down as a result.
Majorly so!

I think Ramsay got this badly wrong, but trying to turn it into a kind of 'pub grub' type grill. Carvery's may not be trendy in London, but I know plenty that are regularly packed out with families and oldies.

It's a common mistake, always going for 'young affluent' customers when he took the owner on a tour that showed the area was already stuffed with places like Cafe Rouge and Prezzo.

The carvery clearly had a customer base and was designed for large numbers of customers.

I'd assumed that he was going to improve the quality of the food, phase out the coupons and introduce some extras like a fancy desert bar, jugs of cocktails or something like that to increase the spend per customer.

I'm no restauranteur, but I definately think Ramsay got this wrong

(As an aside, I had much greater respect for Ramsay before I went to Maze and ate one of the most awful pretentious meals I've ever had).

Last edited by bollecks; 28-11-2007 at 13:32.
bollecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 13:35   #87
Brad123
Well endowed

Exactly, I would have kept the carvery and amended it, trendied it up a bit, got rid of the coupons, hell im sure the old folk have a bob or two if they live in that area, they would pay £40 a head if need be lol.

Id say all it needed was a spruce up not a revamp.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:50   #88
johnson293
Black and White Member

Wasn't that part of his point though about the carvery - and any carvery - that most of the food on them is cooked, then sat in/on heating trays/cupboards getting dryer, or soggier the longer it sits.

His ethos is almost always about good quality food, produced fresh to order - no precooking and re-heating - and for him to back a carvey where the food is cooked, prepared and then left to be carved/self served over the course of a day is going against what he stands for as a top level chef?

If I remember correctly, he (Ramsay) even suggested they could offer the 'blue rinse brigade' fresh roast dinners, as an alternative to the carvery - at least then the meals would be freshly cooked, and served to order. Meaning the quality and taste should ultimately be better as well.

Next weeks looks like it'll be a good 'un!!
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 14:01   #89
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson293 View Post
Wasn't that part of his point though about the carvery - and any carvery - that most of the food on them is cooked, then sat in/on heating trays/cupboards getting dryer, or soggier the longer it sits.

His ethos is almost always about good quality food, produced fresh to order - no precooking and re-heating - and for him to back a carvey where the food is cooked, prepared and then left to be carved/self served over the course of a day is going against what he stands for as a top level chef?

If I remember correctly, he (Ramsay) even suggested they could offer the 'blue rinse brigade' fresh roast dinners, as an alternative to the carvery - at least then the meals would be freshly cooked, and served to order. Meaning the quality and taste should ultimately be better as well.

Next weeks looks like it'll be a good 'un!!
Actually, the roast in a busy carvery can be just as fresh. If a restaurant serves a roast it's not like they're cooking joints of meat and roast spuds to order!

It's only sitting at in the kitchen instead of the carvery.
Old 28-11-2007, 14:02   #90
Guest 22025
Steppin' Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson293 View Post
But then is the show supposed to be about turning round a restaurant or just changing it into what Ramsey wants it to be?

Ramsey missed out on the 'loyalty' aspect of older customers.
The young trendy crowd might have the big cash but aren't go to come back as regularly as the older customers (some of which were probably coming in 3 or more times a week).
The carvery could have worked with some changes. But it would have made for a boring show if Ramsey just turned up, cleaned the kitchen & raised prices. Given that Ramsey said he hadn't had a carvery in about 20 years it goes to show that he clearly has an issue with them.
Guest 22025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 14:05   #91
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHat001 View Post
The young trendy crowd might have the big cash but aren't go to come back as regularly as the older customers (some of which were probably coming in 3 or more times a week).
there's a young trendy crowd in Haywards Heath?
Old 28-11-2007, 14:07   #92
KennyVader
Insomniac

I love a good carvery, especially if they let you have half and half turkey and beef, which you don't generally get with a simple roast dinner, especially not at home, since most people don't have an oven big enough.

If the carvery is keenly priced enough it doesn't need vouchers to drag the pensioners in, and as said most people will buy at least a pint of beer or two to go with it.

The problem with this place was what the "chef" was doing with the leftovers or the yucky soup etc under preparation.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 15:59   #93
deanos
You can call me Deano

Cant beat a good carvery IMO

I know there is a good one in Grimsby cant remember the name but its a chain called "Pub and Carvery" they charge £3.95 before 5pm and £4.95 after ,we always pop in after having a day out at the seaside when we are out that way, if they can make a profit on those prices i cant see why the place last night couldnt
Old 28-11-2007, 16:46   #94
Guest 22389
Green and Scaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanos View Post
Cant beat a good carvery IMO

I know there is a good one in Grimsby cant remember the name but its a chain called "Pub and Carvery" they charge £3.95 before 5pm and £4.95 after ,we always pop in after having a day out at the seaside when we are out that way, if they can make a profit on those prices i cant see why the place last night couldnt
Thats "The Hainton Inn" and I agree they do nice carvery, though I havent been for a while.
Guest 22389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 17:02   #95
tizza
cranial deficient

Not suprised they lost money each week. Far too much food for five quid.Even if it was done badly.
Shame really as the place looks lovely and has great potential.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 18:09   #96
deanos
You can call me Deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Dragon View Post
Thats "The Hainton Inn" and I agree they do nice carvery, though I havent been for a while.
Thats the one
Old 28-11-2007, 18:10   #97
Bigsby
Trusted User

As he has said before, making stuff from scratch instead of buying in pre-peeled potatoes, carrots, yorkshire puds etc would have helped make the carvery more profitable.

Liked his line about Bernie Inns though.

Anyone else feel sorry for the coffin dodgers of Hayward's Heath who have had their favourite restaurant taken away from them by "that terrible man who swears on the telly"?
Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 18:12   #98
Guest 36487
Trusted User

I have seen posts from the owner on another forum that indicate that they are very happy with the turnaround.

There was no profit in what they were doing, and they have turned it into a nice, upmarket eaterie, and they are delighted.

Well done Gord!
Guest 36487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 01:50   #99
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennsmithy View Post
There was no profit in what they were doing, and they have turned it into a nice, upmarket eaterie, and they are delighted.
There was no profit because only 50% of their covers were paying to eat there !!!
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 08:02   #100
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks View Post
(As an aside, I had much greater respect for Ramsay before I went to Maze and ate one of the most awful pretentious meals I've ever had).
I loved Maze! Sampling menu I presume?
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote