Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 14:39   #1
Guest 55583
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HMV Two Page Ad for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

The latest issue of DVD Review (January issue) has the prime advertising space inside the front cover as a two page special advertising "HD HVD and Blu-Ray at HMV".

Interestingly, despite the fact Blu-Ray players have been on sale for a few weeks while HD-DVD has yet to launch (I'm not counting the XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on, not least because despite pre-ordering nearly two months ago there's still no sign of Amazon shipping it) the ad features eight HD-DVD titleas and only 5 Blu-Ray ones (they're all muddled in together).

HD-DVD Titles featured:
Batman Begins
Constantine
Full Metal Jacket
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Last Samurai
Troy
Unforiven
V for Vendetta

Blu-Ray Titles featured:
Firewall
The Fugitive
Lethal Weapon
Rumor Has It

Last edited by irascian; 02-12-2006 at 14:40.
Guest 55583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 14:51   #2
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa
 
kanedaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 15,083
Thanks: 71
Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,034 Posts
That's Warner's HD launch line-up. They're the only studio in this country who are currently releasing titles on both formats.

Most of the planned Blu-ray support in this country seems to have been pulled because of Sony's decision to not launch the PS3 as originally planned. So there was nothing from Fox as planned in November, and the same goes for EIV who have rescheduled their titles for March.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 19:08   #3
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!
 
Roberto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Londoner
Posts: 16,916
Thanks: 867
Thanked 600 Times in 252 Posts
John Lewis in London is really pushing Blue-Ray at the moment. Anyone who has been to the branch at Oxfod Street will know what i'm talking about
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 21:34   #4
THX
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 151
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto
John Lewis in London is really pushing Blue-Ray at the moment. Anyone who has been to the branch at Oxfod Street will know what i'm talking about
Say no more John Lewis Sony fanboy club if i ever saw one
THX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 23:44   #5
Guest 55583
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto
John Lewis in London is really pushing Blue-Ray at the moment. Anyone who has been to the branch at Oxfod Street will know what i'm talking about
That's the store where they have Hi-def screens like the Toshiba 47" looking absolute crap (dreadful pixellation and motion problems) next to standard def TVs such that they haven't a hope of hell in selling one.

ISTR on my brief visit a couple of weeks back that the Blu-Ray demo was pretty underwhelming too.

The whole of the TV section struck me as one of the most misleading and confusing demo areas I've ever seen. Not sure if it was the signal different rows of TVs were being sent but the expensive big screens all looked terrible, where the cheaper ordinary ones looked pretty good.
Guest 55583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 13:29   #6
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!
 
Roberto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Londoner
Posts: 16,916
Thanks: 867
Thanked 600 Times in 252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian
That's the store where they have Hi-def screens like the Toshiba 47" looking absolute crap (dreadful pixellation and motion problems) next to standard def TVs such that they haven't a hope of hell in selling one.

ISTR on my brief visit a couple of weeks back that the Blu-Ray demo was pretty underwhelming too.

The whole of the TV section struck me as one of the most misleading and confusing demo areas I've ever seen. Not sure if it was the signal different rows of TVs were being sent but the expensive big screens all looked terrible, where the cheaper ordinary ones looked pretty good.
It's probably changed then. Now they have a 65-inch playing fantasic 4 on blue ray and a 100-inch TV playing blue-ray demos. People were looking very impressed with the 100-inch set
__________________
Saddam✓Osama✓Gaddafi✓Kim Jong-un☐Justin Bieber☐
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 22:18   #7
SimonI
Rude Mechanical
 
SimonI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 6,358
Thanks: 272
Thanked 280 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX
Say no more John Lewis Sony fanboy club if i ever saw one
He he - I went into JL to buy an iPod for my sister and the salesboy serving tried to flog me a Sony thing instead; he got all twitchy and irritable when I told him why I don't like Sony stuff ... and he nearly forgot he was supposed to be selling me what I'd asked for...
__________________
It's turtles all the way down!
All things prog | Yes World | DVD Basen | Home | MX-5 | Nausicaa | ET | My Criterion
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 20:11   #8
Guest 49515
Account on hold
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,080
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont John Lewis have a 101" plasma installed? 3 month waiting list and mad money?
Guest 49515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 21:16   #9
Alan b
Administrator
 
Alan b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 35,049
Thanks: 171
Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelocalman
Dont John Lewis have a 101" plasma installed? 3 month waiting list and mad money?
I saw this in a paper today and I don't know how true this is but they reckoned there was a 3 month waiting list as they have to be built specially and it costs £5k just to have it installed.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 23:11   #10
Guest 55583
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b
I saw this in a paper today and I don't know how true this is but they reckoned there was a 3 month waiting list as they have to be built specially and it costs £5k just to have it installed.
Indeed. The AVForums podcast said pretty much the same thing a few weeks back. There are some pretty strict requirements on the location it's to be installed in too with ridiculous limitations on door sizes, floor of delivery location etc.

If I won the lottery I'd order one though (probably have to move house too just to meet the requirements )

Last edited by irascian; 06-12-2006 at 23:12.
Guest 55583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22   #11
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!
 
Roberto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Londoner
Posts: 16,916
Thanks: 867
Thanked 600 Times in 252 Posts
Nar, i'd go for 50" MAX! Any bigger and even Hi-Def would beging to suffer. Having said that the picture quailty on the JL 103-inch set was very very impressive
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 13:45   #12
Guest 8631
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: 1850 posts plus...
Posts: 985
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where can I read more about this 103-inch set?

Oh and surely 1080p video would still look great even with a 100" screen, just as long as your sat watching it from the sweet spot.
Guest 8631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 14:15   #13
Guest 27300
Bear with me, I'm slow
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,107
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning Plates
Oh and surely 1080p video would still look great even with a 100" screen, just as long as your sat watching it from the sweet spot.
Belgium?
Guest 27300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 17:01   #14
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi
 
TigaSefi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,752
Thanks: 49
Thanked 96 Times in 62 Posts
JL Bluewater had Fantastic 4 on Bluray playing on a 65" telly! Very impressive, all the heads were the same size as mine! Mum was like "that's a bit big".
TigaSefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 18:13   #15
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock
 
Mevlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 235
Thanked 295 Times in 177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto
Nar, i'd go for 50" MAX! Any bigger and even Hi-Def would beging to suffer. Having said that the picture quailty on the JL 103-inch set was very very impressive
Eh? I have to ask if you've ever seen a HD Projector in use before. Even my budget HD70 looks amazing at 108". Watching King Kong on HD-DVD the other day and I really was astounded at how much it seemed like a huge Plasma tv. And I'm VERY picky about picture quality btw. There is just no going back once you've got a PJ
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
Blu-ray Disc, HD-DVD Disc

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 00:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network