Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 22-02-2006, 19:28   #21
Guest 25203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle
Not wanting to upset you Jon but I managed to catch this last night and the quiz answers are tripe

boys names beginning with T - one of the lesser obscure answers was Thurman - THURMAN ? who is called Thurman ?

Also - I very much doubt if someone called Thurman managed to be one of the first calls through and gave his own name it would have appeared

On another note though all the presenters at least seemed to be having a good laugh so fair play to them
Hah, doesn't upset me at all.

Thurman's not a common name, but it is a first name; you get quite a few instances if you type it into the internet movie database.

And if the first caller had've said it it would have gone. As I say, the callers aren't screened, and the answers are locked into the puzzles the week before. In fact, the top answer yesterday went in the first twenty minutes. It does happen. And yeah, everyone does enjoy working on the show, glad you enjoy it.
Guest 25203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 19:31   #22
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Alex (female) on Quiz Call (in the 280-somethings) is rather hot, if slightly Essex-y.
Old 22-02-2006, 19:33   #23
SqueakyG
Trusted User

The top couple of answers on thise ladder games are always so obscure that you're not expected to guess them. Last night had "Vehicles", and the top two answers were "ice breaker" and "bridge layer"

I imagine that these quiz shows plan very carefully exactly how long each game lasts, according to how much money they have planned to give away that night. Everything is manufactured to a timetable. They keep to that timetable through certain methods:

- "Waiting for a caller" (who could complete an answer), even though all their lines have people on hold. They say it's "random" when the computer puts someone through... but it clearly works to their timetable.
- Making the top couple of answers so obscure that they are only won after the presenter spells it out like a clue. This ensures the game ends when the producers want it to; not when callers beat it.

I don't believe there are any sinister scams at Quizmania, but I think all these quiz shows have the same generally dodgy practices. They could say how much the call costs from mobiles and non-BT landlines... but they don't. They could state the statistical probability of getting through... but they don't. They could inform you that it's pretty much a straight gamble... but they don't, instead showing a deceptive facade about the probability of winning that gamble.

Lottie was back last night. You can usually rely on her to tell people to "set yourselves a limit". But last night she said, "You're a loser if you don't call in." She made a joke of it, but I was still disappointed.

Hold on - one possible thing I think might be a "scam" - how come some regulars get through all the time? Sometimes multiple times a night? I have a theory that the phone system must flag certain numbers. Surely they must flag abusive callers to be rejected in future. If so, they could flag "good" callers to be always put through. I can see the advantage in having "regulars" to portray a false idea of how easy it is to get through and win money.

Last edited by SqueakyG; 22-02-2006 at 19:40.
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 20:07   #24
Guest 25203
Banned

Nothing like that, conspiracy fans, it totally is genuinely, 100% random, it's just the people who get through a lot are also the people that call a lot. And I mean, A LOT.
Guest 25203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 21:53   #25
hailesy
Anyone for Coffee?

Jeebus! have you seen the total prize money for the Great British Quiz at present.

Over £25,000 guarunteed and £1 million jackpot

whats the odds the jackpot question is an easy one
hailesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 09:44   #26
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,107 Posts
The show is nothing more than a tax on the poor and stupid, it is the tv equivalent of scratchcards
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 11:18   #27
welshmatt
Rusted User

I watched about half hour last night with a guy im assuming was Greggles.

Quite funny when they had to name famous Davids. Some girl said David DaVinci (!?)and he started laughing so she hung up. I can only assume she meant Duchovney.

Then when someone suggested David Seaman some guy off camera threw on a toilet roll! Coincidence.....
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 01:14   #28
Guest 48406
Death becomes Her

i watched that last night too. i ended up staying awake until that puzzle was over as the last answer was irritating me so much!! and im not suprised people couldnt get it, he's barely famous!!

i much preferred it when it first started and the puzzles at the beginning were shorter and easier!

dont know names either, but debbie is very annoying!! the young guy last night is quite cute and the older guy is very in ya face and far too awake at that time in the morning!
Guest 48406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 01:22   #29
richdmx
Gamertag : Freddy Fingerz

This one now is annoying me.

Sporting Heroes, probably someone like Bobby Moore or Donald Bradman and i cant get through
richdmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 01:40   #30
Guest 48406
Death becomes Her

i think bobby moore is far too obvious for the ones left! the values are higer as the answers are more obscure! names people wouldnt normally think about when thinking about sporting heros!!

good luck getting through though

Last edited by bezza; 24-02-2006 at 01:41.
Guest 48406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 01:41   #31
Fat Bloke
Trusted User

Caught a bit the other night. Jobs begining with 'S', the answer from one clever person......Psychic
Fat Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 14:53   #32
entrywound
XBL - Entrywound UK

Saw this last night, and was thinking of Steve Redgrave as a sporting hero, but couldn't be bothered to call up as I know they're all a con and I'd never get through. Then some woman comes on and he's there on the board for a prize of £900...
entrywound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 16:27   #33
Guest 8391
Gamertag: FreelanceBard

The male presenters really remind me of bidup.tv
Guest 8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 21:19   #34
KennyVader
Insomniac

has anyone ever got through via free web entry?
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 23:03   #35
brainwaster
Divided by zero

I`ve been watching Quiz Night Live on FTN and they have had the same puzzle on for about a week now!, No one has got it

The puzzle is - Ninety divided by five multiplied by ten minus twelve
Old 25-02-2006, 00:06   #36
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

why do you guys watch this? Surely the less people watching/calling, the sooner they will get closed down. I cant wait til they are moved to the higher channels.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 01:32   #37
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwaster
I`ve been watching Quiz Night Live on FTN and they have had the same puzzle on for about a week now!, No one has got it

The puzzle is - Ninety divided by five multiplied by ten minus twelve
168 surely, following standard mathematical operator order convention anyway.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 13:48   #38
Guest 50367
Trusted User

i cant see how a lot of you guys are saying its a scam

its not much different to having a bet or entering a competition
Guest 50367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 14:01   #39
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Exactly, but it IS a scam as there are no rules readily available for Joe Public to look at. The presenters at no point say that it is a lottery just to even get a go at answering. It is instead listed on the rules that flash up every so often, or are available via post or on their website.

The show's main income relies on the (hopefully tipsy) average Joe to think that the question is simple and that all they have to do is phone up and give an answer to win.

The average Joe would not even consider that it is a lottery just to get through, and why should they?

At no point do the presenters recap previous answers (as many same answers are stated throughout the night), and in most cases they don't even give the workings out for their answers.

There are always many, many multiple answers to each question, and it comes across as if the channel's themselves don't even have set answers; but by the time they come to the end of the competition they will try to come up with an answer that no-one has stated yet.

These shows are here to legally con the general public by only stating minimal terms and conditions. It is easy money - hence the sudden flux of them over the last 12 months.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 14:13   #40
The Dude
Cool Dude Of The Forums

Are you including Quizmania in this William Shatner? Yes you might not get through, but at the end of the day common sense says that when thousands will also be entering on a big channel like ITV1 that you have a very high chance of not getting through, but if you do then you could win some serious money. The guys on a number of occasions say to set your limits when phoning to try and get through to the stuido and if you do end up with a huge phone bill then it's your own fault for not setting your limits on the amount of times you call. They also don't do those stupid add the numbers things in which you have to be a genius to get the right answer like a lot of the other quiz shows do. Oh and if you want to see a channel that is made for the words like "dodgey" then watch Grab a grand as that thing really does take the mickey.

Last edited by The Dude; 25-02-2006 at 14:28.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote