Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 20-02-2006, 15:30   #1
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Quizmania (Late nights on ITV2), The Mint (ITV1)

Anyone watch this?

I'm finding myself more and more regularly checking it, I fear it's only a matter of time before I call up and it's going to cost me a fortune, surely it has to be some kind of scam that recognises your number and rejects you xx number of times before you get through?

Some of the presenters are well funny though but the questions can have some bizzare answers

Last edited by mattkbishop; 01-04-2006 at 10:31.
Matt KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:37   #2
Guest 8645
Banned

One of the questions was 'Famous female Singers' and yet Madonna didn't make it onto the list, which struck me as odd.

But Debbie is lovely.
Guest 8645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:43   #3
Guest 49515
Account on hold

Shake Head

Its all a bit mental but well worth a visit! I remember no one was getting the answer to biscuits so the presenter (failed DJ type) gives a clue "If your not poor your ...., tea biscuits" and someone phones in and says "Eating"

Last edited by thelocalman; 20-02-2006 at 17:45.
Guest 49515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:51   #4
welshmatt
Rusted User

I like the way they pretend to be waiting for calls to entice you to ring up. There are probably hundreds in the queue waiting?

Nice looking girl is the only reason i dont switch off immediately.
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 18:05   #5
Guest 50367
Trusted User

Debbie is sexy....

Greggles is quite funny....

its soo addictive
Guest 50367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 18:19   #6
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

The other night had "Occupations beginning with S" and someone said "Doctor"

Greg is hilarious.
Old 20-02-2006, 20:17   #7
Guest 25203
Banned

Ha, I'm doing some freelance puzzle designing for the Quizmania peeps at the moment. It's a fun place to work. Debbie's super nice. Greggles and Flash are extremely funny. The amount of fanmail we're getting is insane (and utterly bizzare). Highlights so far include:

* A person who sent 13 parcels, addressed to each member of the production team. Inside each was a personalised letter and a dirty tea towel. It was if he'd manically ran around his house stuffing anything he could get his hands on into jiffybags.

* A letter, addressed to Debbie, written in a John Doe from Se7en stylee. 32 pages of extremely close written A4, complete with scribbled annotations and drawings everywhere. The text that was legible alternated between information about the workings of light aircraft and highly detailed sexual practices. The kicker was, it was photocopied, as if he didn't want to send his original or something.

* A Christmas card, Picture of a snowman inside. The inscription inside read: "Dear Debbie, I lvoe you, pleese mArry me", followed by his name address and phone number. Beneath this, he'd written: "xxxxxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxxx".

Only one of the o's was scribbled out, as if he' made a mistake. On the back, he'd selotaped a photograph of a tractor. FOR NO REASON.

* Other highlights from the postbag: A dirty plate, a broken gnome and, yes, an extremely mouldy cake.

Actually true story: Yesterday we were designing Dingbats for the show. You know the sort of thing, where you have a humerous picture illustrating a well known phrase. Anyway one of the other designers had made one up for the popular phrase about pens being mightier than swords. It had a large sword at the bottom, a phallic looking fountain pen above it, and then at the top, in huge capital letters, he'd written "THE PENIS", thanks to an insufficient amount of spacing between the words "Pen" and "Is". Nobody noticed until 3 minutes before it went on national television.

We've called it the notorious "Penis is meatier than the sword" dingbat ever since.

Bear in mind, this is from the same designer who produced an anagram of Will Smith that read "IWLL M****".
Guest 25203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 20:23   #8
Guest 7163
dunno what to put 'ere

Yet another ITV show cashing in on premium rate phone lines. I got sucked in by this show when I happened to notice it on late night TV during Christmas Week. I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens. Phoned up......"sorry your call was not successful....", tried again..... "......sorry your call was not successful....", and then (foolishly) tried again about another 5 or 6 times. Each time my call was not successful. That's a fiver down the drain.

Whilst flicking through the channels about 3 weeks ago I spotted the show again. I tried again........"......sorry your call was not successful....". Ah what a load of bloody rubbish. What a scam. I never tried again afterwards and definitely won't be trying again in the future.

Debbie is lovely though yes.

Last edited by Whizzer; 20-02-2006 at 20:24.
Guest 7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:31   #9
jpig
Trusted User

http://www.debbieking.co.uk/

If you're wondering who we're on about!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 00:36   #10
Guest 50367
Trusted User

flash looks like one of the twins in the harry potter films
Guest 50367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 00:56   #11
Jimmyboy
^__^

Phoned 18 times one night, didn't get through once.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 01:44   #12
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Christ how much did that cost?
Old 21-02-2006, 07:51   #13
welshmatt
Rusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnapig
http://www.debbieking.co.uk/

If you're wondering who we're on about!
Christ is that a cat round her neck?

Love this comment:

"Debbie’s unique quality is that you don’t see her coming."

There must be a few jokes in that....
Old 21-02-2006, 13:11   #14
SqueakyG
Trusted User

I've been interested in this since before Christmas, for one reason only: Lottie Mayor. I'm not interested in Debbie at all (orange barbie doll with a grating voice). Not much point watching the males, except for Greggles sometimes if I'm in the mood for cheese.

Lottie hasn't been on for a couple of weeks now though

I have more sense than to ever phone in. I know all these quiz things are a scam.

I can totally believe that the presenters get weird stalker-ish fanmail. The whole format is kind of built on getting sad insomniacs to fall in love with their favourite presenter. I'm tempted to mail Lottie something... but no... I have dignity.

Last edited by SqueakyG; 21-02-2006 at 13:15.
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 01:09   #15
sariel2002
Face Of An Angel

Debbie King was in The Wall.
sariel2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 11:16   #16
Porsmond
Trusted User

Quote:
Lottie hasn't been on for a couple of weeks now though
I think I heard Lottie has been on holiday hence why you havent seen her, I believe she is back this week sometime or next week

I tend to watch Quizmania most of the time, but not to play(I'm not that gullible to waste loads of money) but I love watching the presenters, they just make it a really enjoyable programme to watch on its own,sounds odd but true. I love watching Greggles,he is hilarious most of the time,Debby is nice,Lottie is cute,and Flash can be funny too.

I will admit, I did try once or twice before, but didnt get through supringly, so probably wont again, I reckon they get quite a lot of people though on hold, so the odds to getting live on air is high
Also I dont believe some customers claims by saying they only got through on one call.A few nights ago, there was one such situation, some girl got through(I think she was a student) and she got a right answer(£600), chuck was presenting and said how many calls did she make,she said "only 1" they then went to the jackpot by annouceing the number was in the 50's, she said 59 and won the £5000, but does anyone think this is suspecious?? she got through on one call, she was a student,she won £600 and then won £5000(so £5600 overall) surely the odds of something like this happening is just so high, its like Quizmania fixed it to lure people into a trap that its possible to do all this on one call to make you phone in and so they make more money etc
Maybe it was coinsidense, but I dunno, I still agree that something isnt quite right with the callers anyway that phone in who seem to sometimes be the same person over and over again
Will still continue to watch the programme for a while though, I find the people phoning in(dodgy or not) make me laugh half the time.

I will always remember one contestant who phoned in and mocked Greggles by copying what he said, and was'nt bothered about answering the question(despite them giving a clue and making it easy) greggles then gave him a countdown from 5-1 to give an answer, but he continued to mock him by repeating the countdown. Greg then just fell on the floor and couldnt stop laughing for ages. It was just the most bizarre call I have ever heard and it made me laugh too, It was almost like a prank call and probably was
Porsmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 15:25   #17
Guest 25203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsmond
I think I heard Lottie has been on holiday hence why you havent seen her, I believe she is back this week sometime or next week

I tend to watch Quizmania most of the time, but not to play(I'm not that gullible to waste loads of money) but I love watching the presenters, they just make it a really enjoyable programme to watch on its own,sounds odd but true. I love watching Greggles,he is hilarious most of the time,Debby is nice,Lottie is cute,and Flash can be funny too.

I will admit, I did try once or twice before, but didnt get through supringly, so probably wont again, I reckon they get quite a lot of people though on hold, so the odds to getting live on air is high
Also I dont believe some customers claims by saying they only got through on one call.A few nights ago, there was one such situation, some girl got through(I think she was a student) and she got a right answer(£600), chuck was presenting and said how many calls did she make,she said "only 1" they then went to the jackpot by annouceing the number was in the 50's, she said 59 and won the £5000, but does anyone think this is suspecious?? she got through on one call, she was a student,she won £600 and then won £5000(so £5600 overall) surely the odds of something like this happening is just so high, its like Quizmania fixed it to lure people into a trap that its possible to do all this on one call to make you phone in and so they make more money etc
Maybe it was coinsidense, but I dunno, I still agree that something isnt quite right with the callers anyway that phone in who seem to sometimes be the same person over and over again
Will still continue to watch the programme for a while though, I find the people phoning in(dodgy or not) make me laugh half the time.

I will always remember one contestant who phoned in and mocked Greggles by copying what he said, and was'nt bothered about answering the question(despite them giving a clue and making it easy) greggles then gave him a countdown from 5-1 to give an answer, but he continued to mock him by repeating the countdown. Greg then just fell on the floor and couldnt stop laughing for ages. It was just the most bizarre call I have ever heard and it made me laugh too, It was almost like a prank call and probably was
I can assure you that there's no 'fix' or 'trick' to Quizmania - the level of calls we recieve means that there doesn't need to be. When people get through, they go straight to the studio; there's no operator so callers aren't 'prepped' in any way before they get on air. Which is why we get so many drunks getting through, something that would never happen if calls were screened before hand. The chances against someone getting through first try are certainly very slight, but it's 100% random selection, so it's entirely possible. I would have nothing to do with Quizmania if I thought it was in anyway crooked, and my experience over the last three months has proven that everything is above board. I wouldn't play it personally, and I wouldn't encourage anyone else to, as the odds against getting through are high. But if you do decide to participate, you will at least be on a level playing field with everyone else.
Old 22-02-2006, 15:37   #18
The Dude
Cool Dude Of The Forums

How come Kirsty Duffy doesn't ever seem to do the ITV shows, but she does some of the shows on 9pm or 11pm when it's on sky. I think she's a good presenter and quite easy on the eye.

Last edited by The Dude; 22-02-2006 at 15:38.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 15:50   #19
Guest 25203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude
How come Kirsty Duffy doesn't ever seem to do the ITV shows, but she does some of the shows on 9pm or 11pm when it's on sky. I think she's a good presenter and quite easy on the eye.
She's still quite new to Quizmania, and new presenters get trialed on sky for a while. She'll turn up on ITV soon though.
Old 22-02-2006, 18:04   #20
dunkle
Trusted User

Not wanting to upset you Jon but I managed to catch this last night and the quiz answers are tripe

boys names beginning with T - one of the lesser obscure answers was Thurman - THURMAN ? who is called Thurman ?

Also - I very much doubt if someone called Thurman managed to be one of the first calls through and gave his own name it would have appeared

On another note though all the presenters at least seemed to be having a good laugh so fair play to them
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote