Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2005, 21:03   #121
Guest 20972
Trusted User

Had a quick flick through this thread and don't think my question has answered before:

All,

Placed an order for 5 DVDs from Amazon Japan. Arrived today with a courtesy bill of £25 from HMCE. The box obviously says Amazon Japan all over it and the shipping label states the correct value of 22,000 Yen. At the top of the label it has the Amazon Japan address however over the top of this address has been stuck a label that says:

PRIORITAIRE
Deutsche Post

Port Paye,
***** Frankfurt
Allemagne

En Case de non remise, priere de retourner a:
****** Niederaula
ALLEMAGNE

(Presumably meaning if undelivered send back to Germany)

Amazon have obviously shipped my package to Germany, stuck this label on it and sent it from the EU. Therefore my question is - should I, or should I not have been charged?

Incidentally I've noticed this on all my previous Amazon Japan purcased but this is the first charge.....

Cheers!
Guest 20972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 21:28   #122
Guest 28243
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozman
Amazon have obviously shipped my package to Germany, stuck this label on it and sent it from the EU. Therefore my question is - should I, or should I not have been charged?
The goods originated from outside the EU so if the value is over £18 then Customs charges apply.
Guest 28243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 21:45   #123
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozman
Yep, as said the goods originated outside the EU so VAT & duty were due. It was not paid when they came into Germany, that was just for onward shipping so were due when they got to you.
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 00:54   #124
bungle1979
Trusted User

One puzzler for all you up on customs practices. Got home to find a notice from RM saying I had a customs charge of £7.32 waiting on a package.

I've ordered a few from DVDSOON in recent weeks, taking advantage of my fidelity card discount (25%). Of the shipped items I've narrowed it down to two possibles - a Simpsons season 5 boxset (cost before discount, $41.98CAD), or Only Fools & Horses boxset (cost before discount, $51.98CAD). The former was shipped pre-Christmas, the latter shipped 4 days ago. By my reckoning, it's more likely to be the Simpsons. Even without taking into account the Fidelity card discount, that should be customs free, should it not?

(which leads on to my second question....) - if it is the latter, where do I stand with regard to the fidelity card discount??? Can I claim that the price stated on the customs label (DVDSoon admitted they could not alter the prices to match the price paid by the customer, merely their current value of the product) was not the price paid?

I'm not likely to be able to get to the sorting office until Monday/Tuesday at the earliest, wanted to hear any thoughts before I went down there and parted with any cash.

Cheers for any help offered!
bungle1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:01   #125
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

I would not have thought so - customs declarations and charges are on the intrinsic value of the goods, not what you paid for it. Otherwise you could buy an item for $1000, paying $995 on a "loyalty card" and $5 cash and get it declared as $5.

If you think it should be taken into account, try ringing the national helpline number and ask them.
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:17   #126
Guest 136
Trusted User

HMCE told me that if the that they would only accept the value of the goods to be the value declared at time of import. If the goods are over declared they would are not willing to issue any refunds. (they double checked this with the National Duty Repayment Centre in Dover)

They also confirmed that dvd soon should be declaring the discount value rather than pre-discount value. (dvd soon have said they would fix their labels but couldn't do it over the christmas period)
Guest 136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:31   #127
Guest 136
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_caygill
Otherwise you could buy an item for $1000, paying $995 on a "loyalty card" and $5 cash and get it declared as $5.
They wouldn't allow you to declare a item if discounted via a loyalty card which cost the same as the discount given because you are still paying the cash equivalent of the discount so it has to be declare as the full value of the goods.

They don't allow discount coupons or gift certificates to lower the declared value as they are both cash equivalents and so must be declared at full value.

Discount cards like the one dvdsoon provide are permitted as you are not paying the cash equivalent for the discount given, so it can be declared with the discounted value.

Last edited by Chris; 08-01-2005 at 01:32.
Guest 136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 14:52   #128
Guest 35172
Trusted User

Koreandvds.com

I am just about to place an order with Koreandvds.com for the first time. Do they list the DVD costs and shipping charge seperately on parcels/packages or do they show only one amount (DVD+P&P). This will affect my order as the DVD amount is under the customs limit of £17.99 but over the limit with the postage costs of $9.95.
Guest 35172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 15:20   #129
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

They seem to mark only the DVD costs, but often rounded to the nearest dollar; I think the current HMC&E rates allow you about US $34.
Old 08-01-2005, 15:26   #130
Guest 35172
Trusted User

Thanks for the info SimonI. I decided to play it safe for my first order and removed one DVD from my basket so the total amount (incl. p&p) was under $34.
Guest 35172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 21:56   #131
Guest 44798
Trusted User

How much customs for electronic item - digital camera?

if the value is around £200 , but marked as a gift (person-to-person gift) will I still be charged?

The TARIC site aint working so bit lost,

thnx for ur help

Last edited by matt_james27; 13-01-2005 at 22:08.
Guest 44798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 22:38   #132
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_james27
How much customs for electronic item - digital camera?

if the value is around £200 , but marked as a gift (person-to-person gift) will I still be charged?

The TARIC site aint working so bit lost,

thnx for ur help
From http://www.hmce.gov.uk/channelsPorta...CE_PROD_009989

Duty on a digital camera is free, and VAT is standard rate so just follow the calculation...

value of item inc shipping + VAT + handling fee of courier (depends which courier you use).

So for example, on £200 and if you used a regular post method that will be delivered by RM in this country (e.g. USPS in the U.S.)...

(£200 x 17.5 / 100) + £4 = £39

As for the issue of marking as a gift, sorry you still have to pay because...

1. The gift limit is £36 and £200 is way over that
2. The gift limit does not apply anyway, it's still £18 unless it is an unsolicited gift from a private individual and on an occasional basis, and you haven't paid any money for the item.

i.e. it must be something bought by a relative/friend/etc abroad, sent from their home address, for a birthday or similar and not something you requested (i.e. 'unsolicited'). By paying someone to send the item to you, it's no longer a gift. Even ebay items sent from private addresses don't count as gifts because a transaction has been involved.

However, if you got it sent from a private address with 'gift' marked on it you might get away with it if the item was under £36, but it still doesn't help you when the value of the item is £200.

The best way to get around it is to buy it from a company who's prepared to do a false declaration and mark the declaration as a returned item with £0 value, as if you'd sent the item for repair. However it's illegal for them to do that... but who would know...
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 23:27   #133
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

Now my thread has been closed, does anyone have any idea what the Customs Duty is on car parts? I'm gonna assume I have to pay the normal rate of VAT.

Deaks.
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 09:12   #134
Guest 2320
Trusted User

Veronique from DVDSoon has replied to the Marking of Value thread on dvd swaps with the following:

Hi,

I know that what I will say will not be appreciate by all of you but after many verifications and discussions, it has been decided that the value printed on the custom declaration will not be changed for those who have the Fidelity ICard.

In clear, it means that we need to indicate the value of the product regardless the price paid by the client.

I am sorry about this but there is nothing I can do more for the moment.

Thank you for your comprehension.

so basically, they will be marking the value of goods BEFORE any discount including the ifidelity card Judging by the reactions I think they may re-consider but not before many people have stopped using them....
Guest 2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 22:55   #135
Guest 44798
Trusted User

thnx for all ur help deadkenny, I think i'll buy it from here instead
Guest 44798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 23:31   #136
bungle1979
Trusted User

Further to my query above, picked up the parcel.... and found it was the Simpsons season 5!

Value on the box says 41.98 CAD $, which was just under the exchange rate at the time according to the hmce website. For those who have complained regarding a charge, what's the protocol? Can I watch the DVDS or do they need to be unused for any reason? I did open the parcel but kept the customs labels and declarations intact.
bungle1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 06:55   #137
Guest 32804
Radioactive rubber pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle1979
Further to my query above, picked up the parcel.... and found it was the Simpsons season 5!

Value on the box says 41.98 CAD $, which was just under the exchange rate at the time according to the hmce website. For those who have complained regarding a charge, what's the protocol? Can I watch the DVDS or do they need to be unused for any reason? I did open the parcel but kept the customs labels and declarations intact.
I sucessfully appealed the charge on my Simpsons S5 (see posts in the dvdsoon faq). You've paid for the DVD's so no reason why you can't watch them. Send a letter to the address on the customs label pointing out the exchange rate on the day they levied the charges and enclose photocopies of all the labels from the box (including the address and declaration) . I also enclosed an invoice from Printed from DVDsoon regarding the 25% off offer but I doubt if that had any influence.

It took a week and a half to get a reply (another 30 days until I get the refund).

Now all I have to do is get the handling charge back from the Royal Mail.
Guest 32804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 10:43   #138
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles
Now all I have to do is get the handling charge back from the Royal Mail.

I think they have a policy of not refunding it. As far as they are concerned they had to collect money and hold the package on behalf of HMC&E. It doesn't matter to them whether or not you get charged.

It's a bit like ParcelFarce's express package charge which is mandatory even if you don't get charged, supposedly because they are rushing the parcel through customs (yeah right ) .

As for appealing to Customs, I think they reserve the right to request the packaging and contents. According to their site they can arrange a hearing of sorts where you go along and prove your case, but I guess that's mainly for business customers.

You'll have a case if you can prove the HMC&E exchange rate for that day did put it under the limit. It has to be their rate though, not the rates published on any old web site.

Was it 41.98 CAD$ inc shipping? If so you can argue the value of shipping, as the £18 limit is the value of the item before shipping (though once over shipping is taxed as well).

As for the issue of discounts, I'll say again, it's the intrinsic value of the item they go on. It's not necessarily how much you paid for the item. What's declared and what HMC&E decide is the value can be two separate things (though generally not if the declaration seems accurate).

Discounts involving cash-equivalents (coupons, gift certificates etc) don't count as they are treated as cash and the value of the item is still the full price. If an item is discounted without a cash-equivalent system, then they can declare the discounted value, however HMC&E are still legally allowed to make their own mind up on the value if they feel the declared value is not the worth of the item. Generally though it has to be wildly out for that to happen.

As for DVDSoon's card, you are paying for the card so it's a bit of a grey area there. If declared values are significantly lower than the value of the item (like when DVDSoon declared at $12), HMC&E might get picky about it.

Interesting to note by the way that Soon are still declaring at $12 for UPS packages (or at least they did with my ROTK gift set)

Last edited by DeadKenny; 17-01-2005 at 10:53.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 12:10   #139
Guest 32804
Radioactive rubber pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny

I think they have a policy of not refunding it. As far as they are concerned they had to collect money and hold the package on behalf of HMC&E. It doesn't matter to them whether or not you get charged.

It's a bit like ParcelFarce's express package charge which is mandatory even if you don't get charged, supposedly because they are rushing the parcel through customs (yeah right ) .

I hope not, the letter from HMCE gave me a number for RM telling me to contact them for the £4.00.

Of course if I hadn't left the letter at home today I could have called them by now and found out if it was refundable or not.
Guest 32804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 17:39   #140
RomerojpgX
Dead

Right I got stung by customs today and wondering if anyone can help?

I ordered a dvd set the Lord of the Rings Wooden Box from Taiwan, and it cost me 80 pound! and was delivered by EMS and they knocked on the door today and asked for a cheque now or I dont get the parcel! the cheque was for 30 pounds!!!!! but the parcel has no price on the front! only the postage from what I can see, so it looks like they have opened the parcel and ripped open the documents to see how much the parcel cost! is this normal? is it legal? they just opened and looked in and messed about and then charged me 30 quid

I am not happy as the price is not on the front from what I can see, so how can they justify openeing and looking at private documents? it was marked as a gift and the price was 700 NT$ so really where the hell did they pull 30 quid from!!!!! and they didnt even give my dad any form of slip to say he paid by cheque.

I am furious and have no idea what to day apart from swear a lot, and moan, so thought may as well ask people who know about this on here and see what you lot think, as I am very angry and want to kill someone!
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote