Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 20-07-2004, 10:15   #1
Guest 33341
Banned

cinemas in spain

hi guys

not sure if this is the correct forum..sorry if it is not!

are there any outstanding cinemas in either madrid and malaga region?

thank you
Guest 33341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 01:53   #2
Guest 3593
Trusted User

Well, I live in Madrid, and IMHO there is no such a thing around here.

As you will surely know, most of cinema exhibition in Spain is still dubbed, and the theatres exhibiting the films with its original audio track are usually quite small and not too good in the technical department, when not outright crappy.

The worst of the bunch has to be the CINES LUNA cinemas (mostly mainstream and minor commercial hits), you should avoid them like the plague! From time to time they get hold of some movie I am interested in, but watching a movie there is worse than not watching it at all.
The ALPHAVILLE (some "high brow" commercial hits and mostly foreign films awarded at European festivals) would come second place, with its tiny halls and screens, and almost unintelligible audio. That's too bad, because they were an essential part of Madrid's cultural rebirth during the 80's.
The RENOIR cinemas, located just a few steps down the same street as the ALPHAVILLE are quite similar, if only a bit more modern and up to date.
Around the same area you will find the PRINCESA cinemas, following the same formula as the RENOIR but with somewhat bigger halls (at least some of them) and more modern facilities.
And in the same vein (a combination of art films and "prestige" commercial films) but in another part of the city would be the VERDI cinemas, just some two or three years old and with much better facilities.
Finally, the most popular cinemas for watching movies in "original version" (as they call them here when they don't come dubbed) are the IDEAL cinemas. Though already showing their age, they are good enough to let you enjoy the movie, and some of their halls (specially no.9) are middle-sized at least. I would say they are the most attended by american visitors and residents.

As for the "dubbed films" circuit, I hardly explore it myself, but clearly the most notorious (if only for its sheer size) is the KINEPOLIS megaplex, with no less than 25 halls. They are indeed comfortable enough, with their bench-like seating and their big screens, but they try to pass quantity for quality. I mean, they claim their hall No.25 is the biggests in Europe, and that may well be... but it is so badly designed (or wrongly fine-tuned) that suffers from echo!

Well, I hope that helped.

Guest 3593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 09:08   #3
Guest 33341
Banned

well..thats a damning report if ever head one.......i appreciate you time and will defo check the ideal cinema..sounds the best to me byway of your report!

Last edited by adam19; 24-11-2004 at 19:43.
Old 24-07-2004, 01:43   #4
Guest 3593
Trusted User

Well, frankly I am not that familiar with the street you ask about, but I have looked and is more or less into an old neighborhood, Lavapies, which has become of late home for different nation's immigrants, mostly from China and the Magreb.

But it is indeed quite close to city's center and, in fact, the Ideal Cinemas.

Anyway, you can have a look for yourself here thanks to a street plan with actual pictures that you can navigate through.

Should you need any more help or information, just ask.
Old 24-07-2004, 02:16   #5
Guest 3593
Trusted User

Oh! And just in case, if you want to know Ideal Cinemas' current movies schedule, just go here .

Old 24-07-2004, 22:08   #6
Guest 3777
vQp Singer

adam19: I lived in Madrid for over a decade and used to go to cines IDEAL regularly (once they had been built). Roy Batty is right that they are probably the best cinemas for seeing the latest film releases in English. As he has said, they are also very near where you will be staying. Lavapies is very central and you will enjoy the nightlife, especially at the weekend (unless you hate drinking beer and eating tapas!).

Have a good time.
Guest 3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 17:16   #7
Guest 33341
Banned

thank you very much guys..u have both been very helpfull!

kind regards

adam19
Old 19-08-2004, 13:06   #8
Guest 33341
Banned

One last question guys does the KINEPOLIS megaplex have english subtitles with its films?

thanks