Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 02-06-2004, 18:31   #1
Guest 24565
Trusted User

Which fuse to use?

Just had my computer die while I was playing Medal of Honour. Swapped the 5 Amp fuse in the plug for a 3 Amp one and everything worked fine - for about 5 minutes, then that one blew as well. Not sure what's in there at the moment (probably 5 Amp) as I've now swapped the power cord for one from a spare monitor (couldn't be bother prising the old one out again). Anyway, the only other fuses I have handy are 13 Amp ones - would I be tempting fate if I stuck one of these in the plug?

It's for a 550w PSU which is powering: a 3.0GHz P4, FX5950 Ultra graphics card, 2 optical drives, 2 SATA drives, 5 fans, 1 FDD, a Creative Labs drive bay interface and (of course) the motherboard.
Guest 24565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 18:58   #2
Guest 21014
Trusted User

Hmmm. I wouldn't recomend using anything other than a 5amp. If you use something to high then instead of the fuse blowing something more expensive might.

The question is why did the original 5amp fuse blow. Could be a faulty PSU.... Has anything on your system changed recently?
Guest 21014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 19:02   #3
Guest 24565
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Squirrel
If you use something to high then instead of the fuse blowing something more expensive might.
Ah, thought so. Nothing's changed recently (well, the machine's only 4.5 months old - self built), but the PSU isn't the best in the world - QTec.

This did happen once before when I was playing Black & White, but I didn't think anything of it. Might have to look at getting a better supply.
Guest 24565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 19:06   #4
Guest 993
Trusted User

There could be a short which could be lethal if something's shorting through the case, so far better to have a fuse blow than kill yourself. If it's happened several times, then I'd bin the PSU. Don't try servicing it yourself as they store lethal currents even when disconnected.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote