Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 21-10-2006, 00:06   #61
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan

I've been reading some of the idiot comments from the likes of Hilary Clinton and the usual loonies. Some of the funniest things I've seen in English.

"They shouldn't show the death of a live man"

Yes, it would be best if he was dead. It's OK though to show lots of other innocent people in Iraq blown to pieces though.

"It's disgusting that people can get away with making this trash"

Really?

"We are not commenting because it doesn't dignify a response"

Errr...I think that's a comment

...and so on and so on.

All raving loonies who have no concept of what they support and that what goes around comes around.

I think as I watch people in the World today who support what these war criminals like Bush and Blair have gotten away with, do you really care about people? Of course you don't. You are a monster just like Bush and Blair.

as I said before, you are EXACTLY the demographic the film makers were appealing too with views like that
banus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 00:11   #62
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson
T

Hardly a left-wing propoganda fest - but if you've decided that's what it's going to be before you watch it then I guess nothing is going to change your mind.

no I watched it, did you ?

just what does 'might is right' have to do with anti Democrat or pro Republican programmes / go on give me one example of a programme featuring a republicanpresident being th ehero over a democratic opposition.....I can give you lots of examples the other way, which criticise the republican president.

West Wing
Commander and Chief
The American President (obviously democrat)
Death of a President

where are the programmes showing the corruption of JFK ? or the sleaze of Clinton ?

Last edited by banus; 21-10-2006 at 00:12.
Old 21-10-2006, 00:40   #63
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by banus
or the sleaze of Clinton ?
Just from the top of my head -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...val/158041.stm

"Primary Colors' tale of sleaze and cover up mirrors the real Clinton struggle to handle Gennifer Flowers' claims before his election about their relationship. Monica Lewinsky has made it more timely than ever. "

Just one film criticising a democratic president you wanted? There you go, balance is restored!

Last edited by KRW; 21-10-2006 at 00:42.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 06:11   #64
Guest 57402
Banned

Quote:
as I said before, you are EXACTLY the demographic the film makers were appealing too with views like that
Nobody takes this guy seroiusly do they? He's plainly ignorant. He doesn't really support Bush and Blair either. He supports the idea of supporting people other people don't like or would like to see made responsible for their war crimes. That's a comfortable (some might say psychotic) view because nothing anyone else says has any affect.

No matter what anyone says he'll say 'left wing', 'liberal' or you 'hate the president' or whatever. All the time we have to try and prove a negative in his eyes. This is the sort of dumbness that US politics (and UK politics touched on in the Summer with John Reid (potentially the most dangerous man in Britain) 'protecting' us) has gotten itself in. As Bush said, "You're either with us or against us..". My oh my, hasn't the planet paid dearly with lives trying to prove either.

Just to make it easier for banus to reply with the usual daftness I'll post a link to this
Guest 57402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 09:46   #65
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
no I watched it, did you ?
Yes I did, but I didn't post that it was going to be left-wing propoganda before the programme was shown.

Quote:
just what does 'might is right' have to do with anti Democrat or pro Republican programmes
Well, if someone made a drama about, for instance, a cop who is proud never to have drawn his gun and in some life and death situation still doesn't draw, but his partner does, and kills the suspect who turns out to be innocent - that would almost certainly be denounced as "liberal" propoganda by a lot of Republicans.

Quote:
/ go on give me one example of a programme featuring a republicanpresident being th ehero over a democratic opposition.....I can give you lots of examples the other way, which criticise the republican president.

West Wing
Commander and Chief
The American President (obviously democrat)
Death of a President

where are the programmes showing the corruption of JFK ? or the sleaze of Clinton ?
Just a few weeks ago there was the 9/11 drama/doc written by a well known right-wing commentator which was much more critical of Clinton than Death of a President was of Bush.

For the record, I supported the overthrow of Saddam, so I'm not coming at this argument from some kind of student-bedsit anti-Bush angle - I just can't see how DoaP can even remotely be described as bad taste or propoganda.

And I certainly would have no problem with a drama about the consequences of Mandela being assassinated...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 16:53   #66
Brian_JD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
somehow I get the feeling that Banus wouldn;t have any problems which showed a fictional drama of a successful US invasion of Iran after they fire a nuclear tipped missile at Israel.
Probably not,but it would be a totally ficticious drama as Iran has no nuclear missiles.

Israel on the other hand has several hundred of em!
Brian_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 04:59   #67
36Degrees
Njsnavlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
somehow I get the feeling that Banus wouldn;t have any problems which showed a fictional drama of a successful US invasion of Iran after they fire a nuclear tipped missile at Israel.
Well there's no Tom Clancy film planned for 2008+... so I'm sure he can copy your idea, add Jack Ryan and millions of pounds easily, (ok so it will be slightly changed from documentary/drama to pure drama...).

Although I wouldn't have a problem with that, nor would I have a problem with a drama being commissioned which showed the transition from the Bush administration onto the next administration at the same time when North Korea has missiles which can aim at any state in America. Iraq in the midst of civil war, Iran via proxy supporting Lebanon and their (insert description of Hezbollah here)s against Israel.

I really don't understand what's wrong with a drama about how real events might lead to a fictious outcome? BBC did those dramas about Smallpox / Britain stopped, is that in bad taste to anyone who has died from Smallpox or in any transport related accident respectively.

But enough of the rant, I enjoyed the first part, up until the funeral, then when it started getting into the investigation / trial of the Syrian, I felt it was, well wrong and felt there would be a far stronger case against him. Did feel realistic and like a documentation of actual events, the CGI was brilliant and was very well made.

Quote:
For the record, I supported the overthrow of Saddam, so I'm not coming at this argument from some kind of student-bedsit anti-Bush angle - I just can't see how DoaP can even remotely be described as bad taste or propoganda.
I think Propaganda is *too* strong of a word to describe this, maybe critical of the Bush ethos towards security / blaming terrorism / al-qaeda in the aftermath (i.e. rushing through the third Patriot Act giving even more powers to the state..., not reviewing his case when reasonable doubt surfaces post hoc). It did subtly inference that this was the "conspiracy" chain of events of 9/11 over again (i.e. "terrorist" attack, blame middle east, bomb middle east, get oil, increase "security" of home nation).... but maybe it was just myself drawing that conclusion and badly infering?
36Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 13:00   #68
SIMON ADEBISI

It was funny to see Mrs Weir from Freaks&Geeks in this as well.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 13:24   #69
MaxNutter

Quote:
I can give you lots of examples the other way, which criticise the republican president.

West Wing
there never was a Republican President in The West Wing, was there?
Old 22-10-2006, 23:43   #70
Sprout Crumble
They're starting 2 shimmy

John Goodmans character as a Republican Speaker of the House took over temporarily for a few episodes but, strictly speaking, no.

Just read the thread as I've not seen it here but noticed there was a ginger person it in. Gotta be them.
Sprout Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 00:20   #71
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW
Just from the top of my head -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...val/158041.stm

"Primary Colors' tale of sleaze and cover up mirrors the real Clinton struggle to handle Gennifer Flowers' claims before his election about their relationship. Monica Lewinsky has made it more timely than ever. "

Just one film criticising a democratic president you wanted? There you go, balance is restored!

sorry you misread my post again - I clearly wrote, give me one film where the Republican president is the hero .......you confused that with the further request for programmes on Democrat cleasze.
Old 23-10-2006, 00:26   #72
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Yes I did, but I didn't post that it was going to be left-wing propoganda before the programme was shown.

And I certainly would have no problem with a drama about the consequences of Mandela being assassinated...

neither did I - before the programme was shown I only commented on the crassness and political motivation of the subject matter and the bad taste - I did not comment on the programme itself until I saw it.

As for the Mandela assasination programme, perhaps the BBC will make it soon - what do you think the chance are ??
Old 23-10-2006, 00:30   #73
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter
there never was a Republican President in The West Wing, was there?

the whole point of West Wing was to create a Democrat fanatasy of a White House. The 'enemy' throughout were the republican opposition.

This was continued into Commander and Chief, were the bad guys again, were the republican Speaker of the House......so predictable by now.
Old 23-10-2006, 07:21   #74
bh1
`,,,,`

Quote:
the whole point of West Wing was to create a Democrat fanatasy of a White House. The 'enemy' throughout were the republican opposition.

This was continued into Commander and Chief, were the bad guys again, were the republican Speaker of the House......so predictable by now.
How would you know this? Surely you wouldn't have watched this "propaganda"?
bh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 08:55   #75
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Quote:
Think we've been through this before...ah yes, here we go:

(SPOILER ALERT...not that it matters much since if any WW fans have read this thread, they will already know the outcome due to people not spoilering things properly... )

http://thedvdforums.co.uk/forums/sho...&postcount=274

Last edited by sparkyrob; 23-10-2006 at 08:56.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 09:16   #76
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
neither did I - before the programme was shown I only commented on the crassness and political motivation of the subject matter and the bad taste - I did not comment on the programme itself until I saw it.
You fully expected it to be a left wing propoganda piece and you said so

http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showt...da#post6694697

and it was prefectly clear from your furst post in that thread that you were never going to give this programme a fair viewing

Quote:
so we are still waiting for the 'Allah is a paedo' drama on channel 4 then ?

I am sure that it won't be long before it hits our screens, and all this anti Bush stuff is balanced up, as of course our TV media is unbiased....our TV media is unbiased....our TV media is unbiased....

The only people who will enjoy this Bush, drama are those who just cannot get over the fact that he won.....twice, get over yourselves
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 14:28   #77
bh1
`,,,,`

Sshhhhhh:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443274/
bh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 00:56   #78
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh1

you still don't get it do you ?

This film you link to deals with a fictional President and therefore less insensitive and gratuitous politically. It looks interesting, thanks for the link