Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 29-12-2005, 14:09   #61
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

After a series of very annoying delays I have FINALLY been able to watch this set. It should come as no surprise to anyone that I love it. I loved seeing the older Hart Foundation matches (time-limit draws, how quaint ), and the other matches really give you a good impression of Bret Hart evolving as a wrestler. I had forgotten just how good the KOTR match with Curt Hennig was, I think it even surpasses their SummerSlam match. The In Your House match with Davey Boy Smith is also excellent, but overshadowed by their SummerSlam match. I had also forgotten how much the WWF relied on Bret Hart in the post-Hogan years: fighting three times at KOTR, twice at WrestleMania X, both Doink and Jerry Lawler at SummerSlam '93, and Hakushi and Jerry Lawler at In Your House.

My only real complaint is that the whole thing is so short. I maintain that the careers of people like Bret Hart, Ric Flair and arguably Shawn Michaels cannot be adequately represented in a 3-disc set. I would much rather seen them split Hart's career into three 3-disc volumes, something like "The Hart Foundation Years", "The Early 90s" and "The Late 90s" (but obviously with better titles). The first could then have a disc for pre-WWF, the second for the Hart Foundation as heels (essentially a Harts vs. Bulldogs disc) and the final as faces, leading to the split that would be picked-up in the next volume (and serve as the start for a similar Owen Hart set, beginning with the New Foundation). Surprising that Vince didn't do something like this, three volumes would generate undoubtedly more revenue.

The documentary seems too rushed. Aside from the annoying and overused background music, too many key events are either ignored or barely mentioned. I'm surprised they didn't make more of the Hart Foundation reunion, or at least show when Bret stopped the Owen vs. Bulldog European title match and cut that incredibly emotional promo that brought them back together. I also don't think Bret comes across that well, I'd have liked to have seen he explain himself better on some subjects, but that may just be down to the editing of the piece.

Also so many matches are missing. Obviously you can't include everything, but on 3-discs you really are too limited.

What does everyone else think of the set?

Last edited by Dxfatass; 29-12-2005 at 14:15.
Dxfatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005, 14:24   #62
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I think you can always add more to the doc, but it'll do fine until we get an autobiography out of him.

My main gripe with these DVDs is that too many of the matches are already available on PPV discs, so I'd sooner see matches from tv shows (Raw, SNME, etc). I'd also want to see more angles.

It was expected that most of the matches would come from WWF shows, as he spent most of his career there. But with the library that they now have, I'd have liked more from other territories. Definitely more matches vs Dynamite Kid in Stampede, the match vs Tiger Mask (Mitsuharu Misawa version) from the WWF tour of Japan, and maybe some clips from his early tours of Japan.

Still, these were the matches that he wanted.

Has anyone seen the Jake Roberts 2-disc set yet? The documentary isn't pretty at all.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 00:37   #63
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Not seen the Jake Roberts one yet, badly want to though. It's supposed to be a fairly harrowing account of his life.
Matt KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 03:19   #64
jaboker
Gabangster

Just watched the DVD and thought it ws brilliant. There were times where I thought I was gonna cry but I was strong and held back the tears.
One things for sure though, he is, the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!
jaboker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 09:27   #65
Guest 151
[XBL] Retronana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkbishop
Not seen the Jake Roberts one yet, badly want to though. It's supposed to be a fairly harrowing account of his life.
Did I not send that to you
Guest 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 10:27   #66
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Erm no actually, I think you did mention it but amidst the Xmas chaos.
Matt KB is offline   Reply With Quote