Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 21:58   #1
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Help me plan my cinema space... (or. 5.1 rear speakers without rear room)

This has now morphed into helping me design my possible 'cinema/gaming' space...
Possibly best to start the thread here: https://forums.thedigitalfix.com/for...4&postcount=20

Original Post
-------------------

I've designed a way to turn my living room into a great cinema room but there's one issue...

I plan to put the main seating in the bay of a window to look straight at a wall mounted large screen, but obviously I can't screw speakers into glass...

So, what options do I have?
Looking for inventive help from past experiences!!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by vaderag; 22-01-2019 at 09:01.
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 00:27   #2
Shingster
Trusted User

Can you post a rudimentary plan-view drawing of your room and maybe some photos of the bay so we can see what we're working with?
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:36   #3
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,060 Times in 874 Posts
ceiling-mounted ?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:53   #4
vaderag

Attached taken from when we built the house.

Plan is for large TV being on the top wall, cinema seats / small sofa in the bay

At the moment we have the TV on the fireplace side bottom corner next to the bay with a long sofa along the door side

Hth

Shingster (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:54   #5
vaderag

Bay is a little less deep and lesa angled compared to how it looks on the plan

Lee Brown (22-01-2019), Shingster (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:01   #6
dunkle
Trusted User

Any options “inside” the bay window will reduce the rear sound stage down a huge amount.
Parents have same style window and something have always considered for there

You could have small rear speakers mounted on floor stands at rear of chair
You could get brackets and fix these to the ceiling part of the bay
You could, if construction allows, fit the speakers into ceiling of the bay window
I suppose your best bet would possible be onto the sides of the bay, angled back

Depending on room size you could put chair in front in the bay and use the actual corners of the room and increase the rear sound stage

I would say an amp similar to the Sony 1080 would work wanders as does some very clever stuff in terms of virtual rear speakers and altering the size of a rear sound stage

Could you flip the design round to have screen in window with left and right speakers being in front of bay in corners. Could have a screen ceiling mounted and drop in front of window if using projector and if using tv could get a stand which has vesa mount attached ?

Last edited by dunkle; 09-12-2018 at 08:04.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
vaderag (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20   #7
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Any options “inside” the bay window will reduce the rear sound stage down a huge amount.
Parents have same style window and something have always considered for there

You could have small rear speakers mounted on floor stands at rear of chair
You could get brackets and fix these to the ceiling part of the bay
You could, if construction allows, fit the speakers into ceiling of the bay window
I suppose your best bet would possible be onto the sides of the bay, angled back

Depending on room size you could put chair in front in the bay and use the actual corners of the room and increase the rear sound stage

I would say an amp similar to the Sony 1080 would work wanders as does some very clever stuff in terms of virtual rear speakers and altering the size of a rear sound stage

Could you flip the design round to have screen in window with left and right speakers being in front of bay in corners. Could have a screen ceiling mounted and drop in front of window if using projector and if using tv could get a stand which has vesa mount attached ?
I don't think screen other way will meet WAF, it's been enough to convince her of this!!

Do rear speakers pointing back actually work? Wouldn't that just combine with the front channel?

There is a possibility of ceiling if that works, but was considering that for Atmos at some point perhaps

Old 09-12-2018, 08:55   #8
dunkle
Trusted User

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
I don't think screen other way will meet WAF, it's been enough to convince her of this!!

Do rear speakers pointing back actually work? Wouldn't that just combine with the front channel?

There is a possibility of ceiling if that works, but was considering that for Atmos at some point perhaps

Whilst facing back is not ideal, neither is your seating area so it’s worth a try
In such a small / confined area I doubt will make a huge difference.

The big issue will be the separation of the sound stage though and you will be sat very confined to both rear speakers so you may not notice a huge rear sound stage. Having had numerous amps over the age the Sony certainly works the most magic and would make the most out of your conditions.

Your best bet would be using the smallest speakers you can get and then experiment with various locations / angles
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18   #9
vaderag

Quote:
Whilst facing back is not ideal, neither is your seating area so it’s worth a try
In such a small / confined area I doubt will make a huge difference.

The big issue will be the separation of the sound stage though and you will be sat very confined to both rear speakers so you may not notice a huge rear sound stage. Having had numerous amps over the age the Sony certainly works the most magic and would make the most out of your conditions.

Your best bet would be using the smallest speakers you can get and then experiment with various locations / angles
To be honest I'm pretty used to a small sound stage as the rears currently are either end of the sofa pretty much horizontal

If I am converting to a cinema room tho I would like to try and get it right...

Old 09-12-2018, 09:24   #10
dunkle
Trusted User

Try and experiment as best you can before making the final / permanent changes

Pop your chair there. Pop the speakers you are going to use as best you can in final positions and see how sounds. Even run them as a front sound strage with stereo music playing just to get a feel for things.

I would suggest that small (almost pc style) speakers placed at the widest point of the bay, facing down and slightly angled will give you best effect. But again experiment. Try them

Pointing backwards
Pointing forward
Pointing directly at you
Thanked once by:
vaderag (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:33   #11
vaderag

Quote:
Try and experiment as best you can before making the final / permanent changes

Pop your chair there. Pop the speakers you are going to use as best you can in final positions and see how sounds. Even run them as a front sound strage with stereo music playing just to get a feel for things.

I would suggest that small (almost pc style) speakers placed at the widest point of the bay, facing down and slightly angled will give you best effect. But again experiment. Try them

Pointing backwards
Pointing forward
Pointing directly at you
And what's the best source to experiment with?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:38   #12
dunkle
Trusted User

I’d sugggest something you are very familiar
I used to take round with me the laserdisk of the rock when demoing speakers and amp and play the shower scene and rocket scene
Thanked once by:
vaderag (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 15:25   #13
driver8
eviscerate your memory

So your TV will be directly opposite the window ? Likely you'll need some proper blackouts rather than just blinds, else the stripey reflections might drive you mad !
Old 09-12-2018, 15:52   #14
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
So your TV will be directly opposite the window ? Likely you'll need some proper blackouts rather than just blinds, else the stripey reflections might drive you mad !
Fully within the plan

Old 09-12-2018, 23:46   #15
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah I think dunkle's advice might be the way to go. How far into the bay will you be sitting? Right in there or just slightly in? If it's the latter you might find that having the rears to the left/right as close to the back wall where the bey recesses from might sound OK.

One word of advice about the Sony 1080 receiver: Beware that a lot of these units hum like a ******* refridgerator and you might have to put up with that if you happen to place the unit near where you sit.

Last edited by Shingster; 09-12-2018 at 23:47.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:43   #16
vaderag

Thanks guys. I'm not looking for new equipment right now (other than perhaps a couple of slimline speakers), but will definitely bear the Sony in mind when we get there.

Plan was to sit right into the bay, but if I could come up with a way to make it non-dead space then other options might be available

Key thing is that it has to work as a sitting room as well as a cinema room, which makes things a bit trickier

Old 10-12-2018, 08:31   #17
driver8
eviscerate your memory

projector screen acting as a blind, covering the entire bay ?
Old 11-12-2018, 00:55   #18
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
projector screen acting as a blind, covering the entire bay ?
I don't think that would work well unless there are companies that do special extra-thick screens that completely block out the light fromt he window? He will also need enough clearance above the window for the rolled-up screen.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08   #19
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I don't think that would work well unless there are companies that do special extra-thick screens that completely block out the light fromt he window? He will also need enough clearance above the window for the rolled-up screen.
I'm not saying I'm totally into this idea (and I'm sure the wife won't be) but you can get things sunk into the ceiling

I plan to have blackout curtains one way or another...

Old 22-01-2019, 08:57   #20
vaderag

I wanted to revisit this thread...

We are extending and there is a possibility of using a different space for the 'adult' living room which is posted on the plan below

Taking EVERYTHING into account (TV placement, surround sound, possible extension to Atmos etc down the line, etc) which positions do you think would be best

The plan has always been to have the 'family' living room in the open plan area at the back (smaller TV with soundbar) but based on comments above and some husband and wife heart to heart wondering if the alternative may be better...

Last edited by vaderag; 22-01-2019 at 08:59.
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote