Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 16-08-2019, 09:16   #21
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

the shortcuts are probably there through group policy - which means if you can delete them, chances are they will just re-appear - and the updates are probably set via group policy too. I'd just leave them, you've done what you need to do.

Last edited by bumfrog; 16-08-2019 at 09:29.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:06   #22
Tempest
Trusted User

Great news....

After clearing some junk off, installing and running CCleaner, fiddling with some other bits, then going to the Microsoft site, I actually managed to get it to successfully update itself to the very latest version of Windows 10.
After, it seems multiple failures when others gave up back in 2017
No more shutdown to update in the close menu constantly.

Took literally 4 hours to do the update, but it got there..... Yay

My god though, the Toshiba 500GB HDD is killing the system though.
The CPU a quad core i5 isn't too bad if I'm honest.

I just need to get the RAM up from 4GB to 8GB with the addition of another DIMM.
(16GB would be nice, but to be honest, not really needed)

And swap that HDD out for a SSD and sure it will be transformed from the device others didn't want to something very respectable

I know, many here are saying don't bother, but I still want to get Admin on my Works Domain. It's only PC Dependent, as I log into my old machine, Windows 7, onto the same domain, with the same username and pass, and I have Admin on that.
So it's only a Windows 10 setting I'm sure.
Just as yet don't know how to get to do it....
Must be a way.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:25   #23
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,573 Times in 511 Posts
> So it's only a Windows 10 setting I'm sure

Well yes, the PC has a group of local administrators - a list of users saying 'the following users are admin on this pc'.

> I log into my old machine, Windows 7, onto the same domain, with the same username and pass, and I have Admin on that

Its a PC dependant setting, not a domain setting. The PC has a group of administrators, and 'tempest' currently ain't on that list.

Now, if you know a local account (and most PCs have 'administrator' as an account) you can boot from a CD and enable that account (usually, that account is disabled). You can also blank the password (I think it usually is anyway) and you're in.
Alternatively, if you know the name of a local user (I always used to create an account called 'admin') you can do the same on that - boot from a CD, 'upgrade' the user, blank the password, and you're in.
You can 'burn' this CD (?) to USB if thats easier.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Last edited by Chris Locke; 16-08-2019 at 18:26.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (16-08-2019)
Old 16-08-2019, 18:27   #24
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanks for the tips Chris.
Irrespective of need, I'm not going to settle till I get around this
A question of pride..... LOL

Ahhhh, yes, that page you linked to.
I had already found that last weekend, and created a Boot USB.
The tutorial I followed said to use the CD.ISO to make it, which I did.

It was a right swine to find how to tell this little PC to use the USB to boot from, but I managed it.
It all looked great, and started loading up, only to freeze at "Loading Kernal"

Tried it a few times, and just stuck at that point.
Looked at some user comments, and at least one other person gets stuck at the same point.
Was a shame, as it did look promising.

Last edited by Tempest; 16-08-2019 at 18:31.
Old 17-08-2019, 02:19   #25
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,025 Times in 509 Posts
If you hadn't updated W10 you could use this exploit that was patched in Tuesday's security updates..

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.c...bbit-hole.html

scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (17-08-2019)
Old 17-08-2019, 06:46   #26
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanks for that, even if it's too late

To be honest, I "Really" don't wish to install any hacks/cracks/exploit apps to do this, unless I was 100% certain it contained nothing malicious.

I still feel it must be simple and within the ability of a stand alone Win 10 install, to log into a local full admin account.
Access user names on a domain log-in on that same machine, and change their status.

Or log in as a local full admin, and join to a domain, retaining your admin status.

I feel this much be simple.
As I've never been shown how to do it, it's a mystery.
Old 17-08-2019, 11:05   #27
scoobyood
Tony Danza

I'm not sure I understand what you want and what the login you have on the machine at the moment. If your current domain login is not enabled as an admin account on the machine and you have no other admin credentials... then that's it. You'd need to get domain admin creds. It's not a 'clever trick' to hack the OS and make yourself admin. You'd have to find an exploit. If you can find one, then google or Microsoft will give you a chunk of cash.

If you do have a login to the machine which is an admin, then yes, it's trivial to make your 'main domain account' an admin.

Regarding the shortcuts on your desktop you can't delete. This is because they were added by another user account on the machine, you can remove them when your are admin, however you still might find folders which are locked due to the permissions on those files 'belonging to previous user'. In which case, as admin you need to change the ownership.

To be honest, you should just get your new SSD and do a fresh install of Windows.. then get IT person/whoever to add it back to domain afterwards. Keep the current HDD on standby if you run into problems, swap it back in.

Last edited by scoobyood; 17-08-2019 at 11:10.
Old 17-08-2019, 12:23   #28
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you want and what the login you have on the machine at the moment. If your current domain login is not enabled as an admin account on the machine and you have no other admin credentials... then that's it. You'd need to get domain admin creds. It's not a 'clever trick' to hack the OS and make yourself admin. You'd have to find an exploit. If you can find one, then google or Microsoft will give you a chunk of cash.

If you do have a login to the machine which is an admin, then yes, it's trivial to make your 'main domain account' an admin.

Regarding the shortcuts on your desktop you can't delete. This is because they were added by another user account on the machine, you can remove them when your are admin, however you still might find folders which are locked due to the permissions on those files 'belonging to previous user'. In which case, as admin you need to change the ownership.

To be honest, you should just get your new SSD and do a fresh install of Windows.. then get IT person/whoever to add it back to domain afterwards. Keep the current HDD on standby if you run into problems, swap it back in.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Firstly, apologies for my initial and some past posts for seeming confusing.
It's a subject I've never had to delve into before with multiple PC's at home over decades.
Over the week I've got my head around things a bit better and the terms.
Without knowing, or anyone to simply explain, it's just a learning curve like anything else for the 1st time

So, to hopefully clarify the point I am at right now.........

I have a PC running Windows 10 Pro. (let's say the name of the computer is MYPC-1

And lets say we have a workplace network/domain called: MyWorkplace

On this PC I have two user accounts. Let's call them Tempy1 and Tempy2

One is a workplace domain login, so at the log-in screen the full text would be: MyWorkplace\Tempy1 followed by my password, and then I log in, as a limited user with full access to the network drives.

The other login is local, so at the log-in screen the full text would be: MYPC-1\Tempy2 followed by my password, and then I log in with full admin rights, but of course, I then can't see the network drives.

Likewise, if I look in windows at the username, I see another couple of local admins from in the past.
But I don't see my other Tempy1 username or any other users of that domain.

So, I can see two options that would achieve what I want.

1: Make my Local Tempy2 admin account a member of that MyWorkplace domain.

2: Preferably be able to somehow (and this is the puzzle) from my Local Admin login, be able to access my MyWorkplace\Tempy1 domain login, and raise that accounts status from User to Admin.

I think that is as clear, and correct explanation as to where I am, and what I'm wishing to do (as it's now become a challenge )

Many thanks for any further advice.
Old 17-08-2019, 12:59   #29
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Ok..

login as tempy2 (admin on machine)

Right click on start button, computer management.

Then do this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/79890/add-...strator-group/

.... under 'groups'.. open adminstrators group. 'Add'.. then type in your network username and select the 'location' to be 'myworkplace'. press ok... It will then might prompt you to login with your network creds. myworkplace\tempy1... etc.

When your network account is in that 'administrators' group, you are done. Log back in as tempy1.
Thanked once by:
Tempest (17-08-2019)
Old 17-08-2019, 12:59   #30
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,335 Times in 1,947 Posts
MyWorkplace\Tempy1 needs to be a local admin.

Since Tempy 2 is a local admin - it should be able to change Tempy1 to a local admin I'd have thought?

[edit]
What scooby said
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (17-08-2019)
Old 17-08-2019, 13:46   #31
Tempest
Trusted User

Ok, thanks.
I'll try this on Monday and report back.
I think I may have been in this area before, but as I said, I could not see any username under the workdomain.
I did not consider typing it in.

Will let you know, fingers crossed.
Old 17-08-2019, 13:51   #32
scoobyood
Tony Danza

You network login won't be there. When logged in locally you are essentially 'off network'.. therefore you use this box to 'login' to the network and pull through the network account details...

... so by adding it to this 'administrators group' you are pre-approving that user account access to the computer.
Thanked once by:
Tempest (17-08-2019)
Old 17-08-2019, 14:15   #33
Tempest
Trusted User

I've had this feeling about networking ever since getting Doom up and running between PC's and to my friend, via modem at the other end of a phone line.

Networking seems to be one of those things that works or does not, there is almost no middle ground, where is kinda works a bit, but needs tweaking to get it a bit better.

Also one of those things that's mostly either, you are totally stumped or hey it's easy just do this

It's not a bad little machine actually, a quad core i5, which I think boosts up to around 3.something ghz.

It only has built in intel graphics 530 I think I recall, but given it's only desktop/office type stuff, I'm sure that's more than fine.
The memory at 4gb is a bit on the tight side, so another 4 will help it breath a little bit more I'm sure.
The real killer is the 500GB Toshiba HDD. It's 7200rpm I checked, but my god, it's dragging the whole machine down to a point it far slower than my old PC with a Q6700 in it.
Takes ages to load windows.

Going to try and sneak in an order for a MX500 from crucial and use some free clone software to do a copy of it, which will transform this I'm sure.

It does have a PCI x16 slot where I could ebay a graphics card into it, but it's some weird low form factor, so not sure, what you can get to fit.

Anyway, thanks for the help thus far..... I will be over the moon if this works.
I won't get a better PC unless this physically blows up, so I want to make it good for me.
Whilst it's a works PC, I have to use it perhaps 8 hours a day 5 days a week, so even if I have to buy a few ebay bits, it's nice to have a nice machine.
Old 17-08-2019, 14:28   #34
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,335 Times in 1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I did not consider typing it in.
Ah! I didn't realise that's where you was going wrong. I've done it so often I didn't think that it's not that obvious I spose if you're used to picking an existing local account.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 14:44   #35
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Ah! I didn't realise that's where you was going wrong. I've done it so often I didn't think that it's not that obvious I spose if you're used to picking an existing local account.
I always tell people, if you are explaining something to me.
PLEASE treat me like an idiot who knows nothing.

I'd much rather have too much information, than what people, who know what they are doing tend to do, which is just skip stuff they think is obvious

As they say, knowing how to do something yourself, and being good at teaching others to do it is a very different thing.
Old 19-08-2019, 20:39   #36
Tempest
Trusted User

Update as promised.
I tried to follow the instructions a few posts back but had some trouble getting very far.

However, After much fiddling and stabbing in the dark, I managed to do it
From memory, I think I was logged into my Limited network account only, then went to computer management, typed something into some box, and it asked for admin password.
So typed in my Local Admin info, into my limited domain login and it accepted it.
I went to make a user, and typed in the same name as my domain login.
Admit this was all guesswork.
But end result was, it did take the same name any allow me, after a reboot to have admin.
So all good.
Thanks to all here for the advice, Bit of a long struggle, but I got there