Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 22:16   #1
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

1917 - Sam Mendes' "one long shot" WW1 movie.

Just caught this in 4DX and... Whoa.
If you're only going to try that out once, do it with this film.

The film itself is fantastic; in terms of the story and performances, as well as the "one long shot" gimmick - Which Mendes pulls off near perfectly.

Definitely one for the "Classic War Films" folder, and I'm pretty sure it'll take home an Oscar or two come awards season
Reverend Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:54   #2
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

The whole thing - the theme, plot and trailers looked good. I definitely want to see it but being so busy with moving have not found time to go to the cinema. Will see if it is still showing next week....or wait fr the 4K BD.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 17:52   #3
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Remarkable film. Loved it. So tense. Amazing cinematography and soundtrack. Well done Sam Mendes.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:14   #4
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,164 Times in 925 Posts
So looking forward to this, after my recent disappointments over Tarantino and Scorcese's latest.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 08:04   #5
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Very good but let down, for me, by a few major plot holes and a few things you can see coming a mile off.

The "one shot" gimmick is very well done with just a couple of instances where it was obvious where the cut was
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 17:47   #6
ROne
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
So looking forward to this, after my recent disappointments over Tarantino and Scorcese's latest.
Agreed on that. Even took a trip to cinema for the Irishman.

My 1917 mini review...

1917: Sam Mendes’ – World war 1 suicide mission to deliver orders that could save many lives at the front line

Technical tour-de-force with Deakin’s one-long-take cinematography. Brilliant Steadicam/gimbal/crane as we discover things at the same time as the leads.

Shoe-in on the Oscar.

Quiet moments good too. A fabulous section halfway through as night closes in. The lighting in that section is terrific.

I occasionally got dragged out into “is this a bit like Call of Duty?” But moments were strong and varied with enough emotional impact, and a suitable climax.

Worth the trip to the flix.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 17:41   #7
dunkle
Trusted User

It did look lovely and sound amazing and a couple of the sounds / scenes did make me jump but ultimately I was disappointed
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 01:24   #8
Shingster
Trusted User

I'm gonna put this in spoiler tags coz I know how over-sensitive people here are about spoilers, but one point I wanted to make about how this film is being talked about:

For me this was very much a tale of two halves: First half was great, second half not so great. There's a very specific point (which is related to my comments in the spoiler tag) where the film kinda deflates and never quite gets back on track, and the final 20mins or so just get incredibly manipulative and overcooked imo. The cinematography is ******* amazing though and if Deakins doesn’t get a 2nd gong, it could very well be his biggest robbery to date (which is actually saying something when it comes to Deakins). Much of the cinematography immediately recalls his work on O Brother Where Art Thou? but the "one take" set up and all natural lighting just makes it all seem more impressive.

Oh and the film has some very wishy-washy internal logic, which dunkle's questioning above, and there really isn't any intelligent answer to his questions. So yeah, you'll enjoy it more if you don't try to make sense of it and take it on face value.

Last edited by Shingster; 17-01-2020 at 18:51.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 06:47   #9
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I'm gonna put this in spoiler tags coz I know how over-sensitive people here are about spoilers, but one point I wanted to make about how this film is being talked about:

For me this was very much a tale of two halves: First half was great, second half not so great. There's a very specific point (which is related to my comments in the spoiler tag) where the film kinda deflates and never quite gets back on track, and the final 20mins or so just get incredibly manipulative and overcooked imo. The cinematography is ******* amazing though and if Deakins does get a 2nd gong, it could very well be his biggest robbery to date (which is actually saying something when it comes to Deakins). Much of the cinematography immediately recalls his work on O Brother Where Art Thou? but the "one take" set up and all natural lighting just makes it all seem more impressive.

Oh and the film has some very wishy-washy internal logic, which dunkle's questioning above, and there really isn't any intelligent answer to his questions. So yeah, you'll enjoy it more if you don't try to make sense of it and take it on face value.

As said technically very impressive and beautiful to look at.
I’m guess will mop up in loads of technical area oscars and likely best director, but certainly no where near to a best film and one I don’t think I’d ever be in a rush to see again due to my personal disappointment as such from that point.

Good but far from great

Last edited by dunkle; 17-01-2020 at 06:49.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 01:12   #10
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah there's a fundamental problem with adopting the "playing out in real time" approach to this story: You only have a couple of hours, so a mission where they have to deliver X message at Y to save thousands of lives kinda needs to cheat and slather on the conrivances to make it seem like a very difficult task.

Like I say: Doesn't make much sense if you think about it.It's not a huge deal when it comes to enjoying the film, but I do think Krysty Wilson-Cairns's nomination for Best Original Screenplay is a complete insult - especially when you consider that Pain and Glory didn't get a nomination in this department.

Last edited by Shingster; 18-01-2020 at 01:14.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 22:10   #11
Bravoman
Trusted User

Watched this tonight. Loved the whole thing from start to finish. Very poignant.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote