Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 19:25   #1
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Dracula - Moffat & Gatiss - BBC1

Anyone watching the Beeb's new take on the old classic?

First episode was much better (& much bloodier) than expected. Some gorgeous cinematography & atmosphere, decent effects, a couple of nice Hammer nods & a solid sense of humour which is usually sorely lacking in these things.

I lost a bit of faith about 40 minutes in when Dracula suddenly became a cheeky cockney chappie though. Did I miss the scene where he ate Danny Dyer & absorbed his personality?
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:13   #2
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,134 Posts
Loving it. Sister Agatha is awesome.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:52   #3
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Agree about the cockney thing...

But it was trying something different & the rest was very good, great effects, humour was spot on and Agatha was

Last edited by RCW; 03-01-2020 at 07:54.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:58   #4
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Loving it. Sister Agatha is awesome.
Agree with this. I've heard of Dolly Wells before but never seen her in anything. She's superb especially as she's pulling off such a performance whilst doing a Dutch accent.

Really enjoying it so far. It's showing a clear influence from the Gothic Hammer representations of Dracula but also offering something fresh and funny whilst managing to avoid being smug. Looking forward to the final episode tonight.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:16   #5
aprout
worn to perfection

Episode 2: Not quite as effective as the first, but still highly entertaining. Only really let down by the acting of the young guy from Shakespeare & Hathaway which was as woeful here as it was there.

Certainly didn't see that ending coming. Bravo to the Beeb for keeping that a secret, but I'm praying they don't mess this up...
Old 03-01-2020, 14:22   #6
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

It’s been hit & miss for me so far. For every cool gory moment or interesting deviation away from the original story, there’s been some lame acting or cringeworthy dialogue. Also the 90 minute length has been a chore. Would have worked better in the usual hour format, making it more lean & removing the dull sections.

Nice twist at the end of ep2. Hopefully they nail the finale....
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 00:14   #7
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Absolutely loved it. I didn't know too much info beforehand and was expecting just another straight adaptation. It was mental.

As for his accent, just watched the documentary with Mark Gatiss and that's how he speaks in real life.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 00:21   #8
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,134 Posts
Didn’t expect much but loved the whole thing. Sister Agatha needs her own prequel series where she solves mysteries and such. Her character and portrayal was fantastic.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:51   #9
ascender
Trusted User

Aw man, so close and yet so far.

Loved the first two episodes, but what happened to the finale??? I thought the time jump was done brilliantly but it just fell apart after that. Mark Gatiss' character was out of place too I felt.

Like everybody else has said, Sister Agatha was brilliant and I kind of wish they hadn't tried to be clever and just had another episode in the original time to show what happened when they landed in England.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:56   #10
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Yeah, was expecting more from that last episode but thought It was the poorest & fumbled the interesting premise. There was a couple of interesting moments & ideas but most of it didn’t work for me...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36   #11
aprout
worn to perfection

I was also quite excited by the time jump, but after about ten minutes it just felt like they were just trying to have their cake & eat it - as if they wanted to do a traditional adaptation of the book AND do a modern-day take. Unfortunately, the finale was poorly scripted & all too rushed.

All the new characters were incredibly thinly written. Yes, Lucy was a vacuous bimbo, so they got that bit right from the book, but less than 24 hours after watching it I'm struggling to remember if any of the others even had names. Who was the wimpy kid in love with Lucy supposed to be?

What exactly was the purpose of the Harker Institute? & what were they planning on doing with the Count? & given how shady they seemed, when Renfield turned up & started talking about Drac's legal rights, why didn't they just kill him?

It was entertaining enough & had some good bits (I loved that the doc's hospital room was numbered AD72), but after the two quality installments, they really fluffed the landing with the third. If they'd stuck with the period setting it probably could have gone down as one of the best adaptations of the novel. Pity.

Ah well, give it a few years & someone else will have another go.

Gatiss' documentary on Dracula that followed on BBC2 was much more entertaining.
Old 04-01-2020, 15:05   #12
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
(I loved that the doc's hospital room was numbered AD72)
I also liked the Inside No. 9 reference on the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
but after the two quality installments, they really fluffed the landing with the third. If they'd stuck with the period setting it probably could have gone down as one of the best adaptations of the novel. Pity.

Ah well, give it a few years & someone else will have another go.
Dunno, I think the whole point is that its such a spin on the original story. Don't think we need another straight adaptation. The '77 version is already pretty decent.

I like the way it ended but it did feel a little rushed. Could have added another 30 mins.

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 04-01-2020 at 15:12.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 18:19   #13
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Agree the ending seemed a bit rushed, but the rest was brilliant great mix of horror & humour.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 13:08   #14
ascender
Trusted User

As others have said, the Gatiss documentary is well worth a watch.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 14:46   #15
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Aw man, so close and yet so far.

Loved the first two episodes, but what happened to the finale??? I thought the time jump was done brilliantly but it just fell apart after that. Mark Gatiss' character was out of place too I felt.

Like everybody else has said, Sister Agatha was brilliant and I kind of wish they hadn't tried to be clever and just had another episode in the original time to show what happened when they landed in England.
Agree, the final was far too rushed and could have been stretched to a fourth episode allowing time for a more satisfying conclusion to the excellent series.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10   #16
neilalford
I angered a crow

Really enjoyed the first two, thought the second took a little while to get going but improved and loved the ending. Found the third pretty weak though, kind of felt like the couldn't decide if it was the conclusion to a 3 part mini-series or a pilot of an ongoing series as there seemed to be a lot set up around the Harker institute that didn't really go anywhere as the story moved on to the Lucy storyline. There were a few good moments though, did enjoy Gatiss' character and the wi-fi password bit.

Also, found it felt a bit like an Ultraviolet knock-off, especially the Harker institute stuff, even down to the person running it having terminal cancer.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 14:13   #17
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I disagree with this third episode is ***** consensus, I'm with TonyG in that the first eps were good, slow and atmospheric. But the slowness was a problem, it limped along in places dragging a limb behind it. The third episode however has like 3 stories and was fast paced and so much more fun and enjoyable. If you ask me the fridge was the scariest part of dracula from episode 3. I thoguht Lucys story was well told, especially liked the graveyard scene complete with its bela lugosi quote.

Episode 2 i think was the weakest, a whodunnit on a ship where we all know who did it, a bit cliche and dull conversations and I found most of the crew dull and 2 dimensional.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:15   #18
mikef
Trusted User

I also really enjoyed episode 3....the scene in the graveyard listening to the undead was seriously creepy and unsettling.....I did wonder if they should have done a gothic victorian story then a sequel next christmas with the modern times story.
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote