Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 20-07-2019, 08:35   #21
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
It's been covered before, but they seem obsessed with competing with everyone instead of being a public service broadcaster. A few people throw some of the stuff they do like it justifies it, but in reality we're seeing much more variety and niche stuff via the streaming services and random digital channels.

Not sure why they're even trying this, why not simply sell their stuff to one of these services like they do now?

I wonder who pays when this turns out to be a disaster?

They're not doing well the BBC, the old people TV licences thing and now we need to pay to watch the programmes we paid to create.

If I needed to save money, I'd ditch the TV licence over netflix.
It will only become worse for them as more and more will start to ditch their licences. The "stigma" of being unlicensed is going away as I know at least a few people at work that have never bought a licence and have no intention of getting one. They're both in their 20s so it's a sign of the way things are going. Especially as more younger people come to the realisation that when they start moving out of home that it's an easy saving to make by not buying one.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 09:06   #22
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
TBF the licence for pensioners stuff isn't really their fault. The Tory government just decided they could save money by passing the cost from the taxpayer to the BBC.
I recall the Tories did a deal with them where they could increase the licence fee (instead of it being frozen) and change the law regarding watching stuff on iplayer.

Personally I think it's fair enough, we seem to be moving towards this society where everything is equal, can't discriminate against someone because of X. I'm really not sure why being old gives you a free tv licence. Just one of those "throw money at old people because they vote" policies when times were good.

The BBC's fundamental problem is that it can't seem to make any real cuts or doesn't want to.

£60m each a year to show highlights of the Premier League and Wimbledon, both of those could get picked up elsewhere, I'd guess for a fraction of the price.

Especially in this day of streaming services, the BBC doesn't hold up. Basically a £13 a month subscription fee that is mandatory.

It's clearly in its last few years IMO, it's going the way of HMV and GAME. Just trying to squeeze the last few quid it can out of people.

I'm wondering why I even bother, I might as well just subscribe when the world cup is on, then cancel straight after, like people do with SKY sports.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 09:13   #23
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

"Meanwhile more than 860,000 TV licences were cancelled in 2017/18 compared to 798,000 in 2016/17, according to figures obtained by The Times."

That's got to be a big issue going forward, the BBC has no right to set its prices and will be lucky to keep up with inflation on the price.

I can't see this new service propping up the BBC generally, I guess it'll make a loss initially, then spend any money it makes making new stuff for the new platform. If the BBC itself wants to show the stuff it creates, I guess it'll pay.
Old 20-07-2019, 09:48   #24
allan
Trusted User

How many total households technically should have a licence? Obviously it's over 10 million but is it over 20 million? To lose what seems to amount to at least 1.6 million over a 2 year span isn't great and I would imagine the figures for 2018/19 will be even worse once the figures are known.

Ultimately though the BBC aren't helping themselves, especially with their recent behaviour and the salary revelations.
Old 20-07-2019, 10:53   #25
dunkle
Trusted User

Maybe I misunderstand it but I quite like the idea but depends obviously on what they show

If have access to the likes of all the classic bbc comedy that I have on dvd or never got round to buying then that would be great. A Netflix of only fools, likely lads, dads army, good life, some mothers etc etc then that would be great.

Add to that some of the real good drama from other the years, not just bbc but things like cracker, frost, prime suspect. Add in robin of sherwood, Dempsey and makeoeace, the professionals or the sweeney.

A proper nostalgia channel if you where. I’d like that
I know some of the content is available on various sky channels but proper streaming would be great
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 11:40   #26
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

£5.99 a month for this; is what the papers are saying, the money for new shows is apparently going to come from ITV.

ITV 4 and forcesTV already show alot of old ITV stuff

If the License fee is scrapped fair enough but paying the BBC again for access to the same old crap is not on.

When you look at the amount of repeats on BBC as it is the mandatory License fee (TAX) is already a joke.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 11:50   #27
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
£5.99 a month for this; is what the papers are saying, the money for new shows is apparently going to come from ITV.

ITV 4 and forcesTV already show alot of old ITV stuff

If the License fee is scrapped fair enough but paying the BBC again for access to the same old crap is not on.

When you look at the amount of repeats on BBC as it is the mandatory License fee (TAX) is already a joke.
Not a chance they are scrapping the license fee ( or effectively reducing it to just £6pm ). Far more likely IMHO that iPlayer's days are numbered though the BBC article does say they want OFCOM to allow them to extend iPlayer show life cycle to a year.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 13:13   #28
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Maybe I misunderstand it but I quite like the idea but depends obviously on what they show

If have access to the likes of all the classic bbc comedy that I have on dvd or never got round to buying then that would be great. A Netflix of only fools, likely lads, dads army, good life, some mothers etc etc then that would be great.

Add to that some of the real good drama from other the years, not just bbc but things like cracker, frost, prime suspect. Add in robin of sherwood, Dempsey and makeoeace, the professionals or the sweeney.

A proper nostalgia channel if you where. I’d like that
I know some of the content is available on various sky channels but proper streaming would be great
Just remember they clearly don't actually own most of the stuff I think, it's how the "BBC show" "Great British Bake-Off" is now on C4. None of that stuff will make it onto the new format.

If they did you'd never need to commission any new kids shows, just show all the old ones.

Loads of stuff they've wiped over.
Old 20-07-2019, 13:15   #29
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Not a chance they are scrapping the license fee ( or effectively reducing it to just £6pm ). Far more likely IMHO that iPlayer's days are numbered though the BBC article does say they want OFCOM to allow them to extend iPlayer show life cycle to a year.
I'm guessing the discussions are wide in nature. I strongly doubt that they want to extend stuff to a year and also definitely not charge extra for it. Can certainly see the two formats merging in some way. Bit like Amazon Prime, want to watch this, then subscribe.
Old 26-10-2019, 07:38   #30
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

If anyone's interested, Britbox has now launched (albeit in a beta form).

30 days free if anyone wants to have a look.

www.britbox.co.uk

It's got only fools, good life, cracker etc.

I've signed up and there is a client on my Samsung TV.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 08:19   #31
allan
Trusted User

Nope, no interest whatsoever. Really have no idea who they're aiming this at!
Old 26-10-2019, 10:12   #32
dunkle
Trusted User

I still remain interested based on content and the quality of it

But am I missing something, but besides the pictures in the background can you not see what’s on there without signing up ?
Old 26-10-2019, 10:17   #33
dunkle
Trusted User

No Dempsey and Makepeace. I’m out

Also no likely lads or paradise club
Was hoping it would be a treasure trove

Last edited by dunkle; 26-10-2019 at 10:19.
Old 26-10-2019, 10:22   #34
dunkle
Trusted User

some Of the actual content is pretty good but it is very very limited
I’d quite like watch spooks again, and there are a few box sets on there that I’ve even had my eye on via Apple TV and the sales such as Vera, cold feet and frost etc.

It’s not “that” bad but would prefer more of the cult 70s and 80s stuff
No sweeney, no professionals, pretty much non of the shows still shown on the itv channels

Maybe this will change

It’s not that bad value for money but considering the potential about of shows there is not much there at all.

Last edited by dunkle; 26-10-2019 at 10:31.
Old 27-10-2019, 17:14   #35
wobbly Jelly
Trusted User

I do think the splintering of streaming services is going to be interesting. Netflix have more original stuff, but compared (to what is hopefully) in BBC / ITV archive it's not a lot. Others are taking content back or selling to highest bidder, I can see people going back to the current bargain prices in CEX as an alternative to streaming. I also guess at some point it will be more restrictive on "sharing"
Old 27-10-2019, 18:40   #36
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Yeh you got to ask yourself how many services can you realistically subscribe to? Especially when all the BBC one is just old BBC stuff. Do they really think people are going to subscribe to something just to watch one series of something?

All it seems to be doing is making each one a little less worthwhile, taking content off them all and sticking it on something new. Can't see it being sustainable long term, can it?

Eventually everyone will realise they're actually paying £10 a month for this, £10 for that, and in the last month you've watched none of it, or the kids have just watched Horrid Henry on repeat.
Old 27-10-2019, 19:14   #37
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,098 Times in 548 Posts
So... i can pay £5.99 now instead of £12.87?

When they launched paid services like this it reminds me to get on with cancelling the licence. The BBC removed their podcasts from Android/Google Podcasts back in April. It's because they to force people to use their BBC music app. However they've not removed their podcasts from Apple Podcasts, wtf?! I pay a licence but apparently they think it's acceptable to dictate what brand of phone they'd prefer me using?
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 08:48   #38
neilalford
I angered a crow

I think the big interest for me would be if the BBC put the sort of stuff on there that just wouldn't get DVD releases, older documentaries, one off specials, more obscure series etc. but if it's just the same old few big series that have been around on DVD for years it seems a bit pointless. Mind you I was hoping the BBC store service was going to be like that, but it was just the same old stuff.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 11:35   #39
basegreen
neergesab

Yeah it’s crap. Really really crap.

Plus side is I’ll watch the last series of Lewis on the trial.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 11:41   #40
ascender
Trusted User

I never really saw the appeal of this for those of us in the UK. Apart from the fact that its another monthly payment and there's not enough hours in the day as it is, the only reason I could see me considering it would be if there was that old stuff from the 70s & 80s available. But even then, its a hard sell for actual money...

I wondered if they could monetise this in the UK by just expanding their on-demand libraries and having ads in there?
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote