Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 31-10-2019, 17:05   #101
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
They were using the broken chip and arm from the first terminator, the deleted scenes in terminator 1 show the building where the first terminator gets squished belongs to Cyberdyne. And they went with this idea for T2. Destroying everything was to supposed to stop judgement day and in the deleted ending from T2 we see old SC happy the JD never happened; however this still does not work as without Skynet existing Kyle Reese need not go back though time therefore John the son of Kyle Reese is never conceived.
Correct. I recall that deleted scene in T1 where Cyberdyne (then a relatively unknown small company) staff finding and hiding the broken computer chip belonging to the Terminator. They could/would also have found the severed arm. The technology gleaned thereof and development from people like Dyson enabled Cyberdyne to grow in 10 years into a large and powerful company that we saw in T2JD. As you recall, both the broken chip and arm were shown in the second film.

The Kyle Reese - John Connor loop is harder to explain and has resemblances to the classic "going back in time to shoot your grandfather" analogy. In 2029, it was John Connor himself, then the leader of Human Resistance, who sent Kyle Reese back to 1984 to save Sarah after he found out that Skynet had sent the Terminator to kill her. John must have known from his mother that Reece was his father-to-be and so by sending him back was making sure of his (John's) own existence. But it is likely that Skynet did not know about their relationship because of the destroyed records that Kyle Reece alluded to in the original film.

One way of looking at it is that Skynet came into being because they sent the Terminator from 2029 back to 1984. John Connor, their principal antagonist, came into being because Kyle Reece followed the Terminator from 2029 to 1984. Judging by the events in the original film, each of them succeeded in one of their two purposes in travelling back; the Terminator failed to kill Sarah Connor but even in being terminated itself, it succeeded in contributing its body parts that eventually led to the creation of Skynet. Likewise, Kyle Reece succeeded in saving Sarah Connor and impregnated her with John but failed to stop the seeds being sown for Skynet.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 16:01   #102
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Red letter media has their review up and its worth watching. The film has bombed badly at the box office, so thats 3 failures in a row for the film

I saw a interesting post on reddit where their idea is switch the roles where, skynet/legion sends back a terminator to protect a human that builds the AI and the resistance sends a human back to kill the human.

Yeah, its swapping roles but better than just swapping John with a character in DF and another terminator thats a step up from T3 and gensys one (The tv show actually need something similar to where they send back a group of humans to destroy skynet)
Old 04-11-2019, 16:05   #103
allan
Trusted User

While it's a completely pointless film in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't the disaster some of the internet people said it was going to be. I was entertained but the main issue is that I'm never going to watch it again.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 17:03   #104
Mandrill
Live !Tag Nabby81

After the poor previous movies this was a much better but still flawed for me I found the look of the movie bland and just a typical big budget cgi feast which wasn't needed , they would have been better going lower budget like the first movie and building a franchise that way. I didn't care for the score at all and actually preferred the score for TG .

Beginning at the TX in T3 they have continually tried to make the Terminator more convoluted in terms of abilities with the perception this makes it a bigger threat or more difficult to kill I found this recent one just complete overkill and no doubt putting it on the screen cost millions in CGI and has had no return at the BO to show for it.

Spoilers

For me the T-SCC was still the most interesting direct follow on and Salvation had the right idea to move the story to the future but badly executed it and hence they went back to the ''chase'' movie style
Mandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
fivebyfive (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 18:14   #105
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Red letter media has their review up and its worth watching. The film has bombed badly at the box office, so thats 3 failures in a row for the film

I saw a interesting post on reddit where their idea is switch the roles where, skynet/legion sends back a terminator to protect a human that builds the AI and the resistance sends a human back to kill the human.

Yeah, its swapping roles but better than just swapping John with a character in DF and another terminator thats a step up from T3 and gensys one (The tv show actually need something similar to where they send back a group of humans to destroy skynet)
"Thats John Conner? But thats a different guy"

Saw that same post and looks like a interesting idea. Need to reboot the whole thing and stop trying to link back to a film from the 90's. Jim C is to busy with his blue cat people movies.

Its all the fans fault. They should have gone to see this movie even though the director trashed them beforehand.

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 04-11-2019 at 18:46.
Spaceranger2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 18:42   #106
Dno
StolenBadger

Or just leave it be.

Not everything has to be followed up/reinvented/whatever.
Dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 20:45   #107
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
That idea would have worked well in 1991 if the film had been a direct and only sequel to the original film. Arnie could have played the Terminator sent back to protect Dyson while Robert Patrick as the human assigned to kill him. If the humans won again, that could be that and adios for Skynet and its future.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 21:30   #108
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
That idea would have worked well in 1991 if the film had been a direct and only sequel to the original film. Arnie could have played the Terminator sent back to protect Dyson while Robert Patrick as the human assigned to kill him. If the humans won again, that could be that and adios for Skynet and its future.
I think it could work for modern day, they could even work in legion ai (calling legion is asking for trouble) A terminator but not arnold and looks different to the skynet one protects mark zuckerberg style tech billionaire. John and sarah are hunting military tech AI with the aid of human resistance fighter(s). Or even something low key, the film It follows is basically a terminator film

T-SCC shown you can do more with the basic story and the mess that is gensys and the misfire of Dark fate. But they take well known and loved films and make bad sequels for people who just want to throw popcorn into their face and make some retard LOL noise when they see some cgi smash up ands then forget the film ever existed
Old 04-11-2019, 23:02   #109
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
I think its beyond salvation. The first couple were decent films, but not so much so that we're still trying to churn them out 30 years later. I'm really not sure why this dead horse is being flogged so much. Is it some sort of weird deal that they need to churn one out every so often to keep the rights or something?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:32   #110
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I think its beyond salvation. The first couple were decent films, but not so much so that we're still trying to churn them out 30 years later. I'm really not sure why this dead horse is being flogged so much. Is it some sort of weird deal that they need to churn one out every so often to keep the rights or something?
I know people don't rate them but Midnights edge did a piece on the state of the Terminator franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnNl_UQyIi8
Old 05-11-2019, 18:03   #111
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Its not beyond salvation (no pun intended with the 4 film) it just needs some good writer(s). Cameron does not give a ****, he hyped Genisys.
Old 05-11-2019, 18:52   #112
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Its not beyond salvation (no pun intended with the 4 film) it just needs some good writer(s). Cameron does not give a ****, he hyped Genisys.
All to true

Look at the number of writers T6 had then screen writers Cameron's input will have been minimal at best and in a few years he'll talk trash on this one just like he eventually did on the others.

T1 and T2 go together to well and a reboot of the thing is required, perhaps the opposite and someone builds a time machine and goes into the future and tries to stop skynet, now we have lone human struggling to kill its target in a world of machines.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16   #113
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrill View Post
Beginning at the TX in T3 they have continually tried to make the Terminator more convoluted in terms of abilities with the perception this makes it a bigger threat or more difficult to kill I found this recent one just complete overkill and no doubt putting it on the screen cost millions in CGI and has had no return at the BO to show for it.
I agree - you end up with a Terminator that can only be stopped in one overblown way, then the action/story has to be contrived to make that happen. I think it'd be quite nice to just have T800s again who are very tough, but you can stop them in different ways. A bit like the daft 'Super Predator' in 'The Predator'...as if a normal Predator isn't enough.

Having said that, I enjoyed Dark Fate. Partly because I had low expectations, but also because it was nice to see Sarah Connor back, Mackenzie Davis was likeable and the way they manage to crowbar Arnie in this time was quite good. It's pretty bland, but it entertained me for a couple of hours.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:25   #114
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Will Tim Miller does not seem to happy with how things have gone, so much so that he doesn't want to work with JC again.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/11/...-cameron-again
Old 23-11-2019, 12:58   #115
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,095 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Will Tim Miller does not seem to happy with how things have gone, so much so that he doesn't want to work with JC again.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/11/...-cameron-again
Not a shock.

I'd say the problems due to that fact that the end of film or such concepts are up for any debate between director and producers at all...... there was clearly no 'vision' for the film or a clear story that needed to be told... it was cash motivated and they cobbled it together. That's been the case with all the sequels and this passable one has lost money because the public can feel that... "It's alright, but meh, who cares."....
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 14:19   #116
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Yeh I find it difficult to believe that someone actually said "hey I've got a great idea for a sixth Terminator movie," I'd guess it started the other way round and then they tried to come up with an idea.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 09:29   #117
Apostate
Trusted User

I really hoped this was going to be good
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:16   #118
ascender
Trusted User

Finally got round to seeing this after picking up a digital copy for much cheapness. Putting aside the merits (or not) of it as a sequel, we all really enjoyed it. I think the cg leaping was the only eye rolling moment, but in general it was a fun action movie. The female leads were all very good and I was pleasantly surprised by the Arnie stuff.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 18:07   #119
eye__writ
Trusted User

The 4th best Terminator film. Not great not awful.

After the excellent job they did on the de-aged Sarah in the flashback, the other CGI was disappointingly hokey.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:58   #120
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,159 Times in 923 Posts
I'm thinking of watching a Terminator marathon - loved #1 at the time, but don't like it now. Still love #2, and remember enjoying the campiness of #3.

Not seen #4 or #5 at all, so should I skip #4 as a terrible effort, and go #2-3-5-6 ? Or is #4 OK (or essential) just the once ?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote